• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Light, Dark, Underdark - November's Unearthed Arcana

Interesting stuff.

Mercule

Adventurer
How would you interpret this bit from the tunnel fighting style:

"While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction"--does that mean the tunnel fighter uses his/her attack to make opportunity attacks or do they get a separate action to make opportunity attacks? Either way, it seems like the goal is allow the tunnel fighter to make multiple opportunity attacks (one with reaction, one [or more] without).
Short form: Engage defensive Cuisinart.

I read it as: Normal opportunity attacks are free. Also, you can do an opportunity attack (not free) against anyone who dares approach you.

As described I look at it more in terms like the worship of the Holy Light in WoW or even (as a bit of a stretch) the Force in Star Wars. I have this vision of borderline insane inquisitors with this option running around trying to purge unclean thoughts from helpless peasants...

I'm sure you could have assign some entity of unfettered creation as appropriate.

Here's the issue: one of the major themes/balancing factors of the warlock class is that their power comes at a price. They bargain with powerful, dangerous beings to get their powers. And eventually, somehow, they have to pay. (Or cheat.) Every GM handles this differently: it can be a personal side quest, central campaign plot line, or handled "off-screen", but it's always been part of the warlock class. You play a warlock, you're going to have "patron problems" at some point.

They've kinda thrown all that aside with the Undying Light warlock, so yeah, I'll definitely come up with an actual Named Outsider associated with positive energy (or maybe a celestial?) if I have someone play one of these in my campaign. All I can say for sure is that whoever wrote this totally failed to "get" the central theme of the warlock class. Mechanically, it's interesting. From an RP standpoint, it's a failure.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
* Close Quarter Shooter: This adds advantages from two great Feats and add a +1 to Attack. While I really like that Style, it seems a bit to strong at the moment (except if you plan to take those feats)
Eh, I'm just not seeing it as being that big of a deal. It needs to be provide more overall benefit than some of the other fighting styles because it's trying to make a subpar option (fighting with ranged weapons while in melee) competitive with other fighting styles.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Close Quarters Shooter feels like power creep. It's the obvious choice for anyone with a ranged weapon because most combat happens within 30 feet. It would be a solid beginning of an ability, but it's too similar to existing feats.

Tunnel Fighter is cool and evocative, but there should probably be some upper limit on the number of opportunity attacks.

I love the Shadow Sorcerer. It, and the Storm Sorcerer have shown that the Sorcerer is a great framework for all kinds of thematic magic.

gyor

Legend
Deep Stalker Ranger looks fine to me, even if the Ranger itself is underwhelming.

Shadow Sorcerer, I like the concept but the Hound of Ill Omen though I feel doesn't scale with level when it should, though the disadvantage to the targets saves is useful. I also don't like the fact that it apparently has a separate initiative from the PC, that adds unnecessary complications in my opinion.

Undying Light Warlock, there's something I feel that's off with the concept, is that a Warlock has to feel like they're dealing with something sort of unpleasant or at least slightly menacing. This one needs a little more of an explanation on why it's spooky like the other Warlocks and those flaws I feel don't do enough. In fact they probably should have a patron entity in my opinion.

Agreed 110‰, I'll add calling the patron undying light makes it confusing, change it to Celestial Pact, also Xag-ya, ravids could make cool patrons.

Grakarg

Explorer
Nice! Looks like some good options.

Close Quarters Shooter seems like it could be a good style option for an EK. Since the +1 bonus is just a 'ranged' attack, it should apply to their 'ranged spell attacks' as well. That's good, as an EK's INT tends to lag behind their other stats so they can have a harder time landing their offensive spells sometimes. I don't think this fighting style is as OP as other posters have stated.

Baumi

Adventurer
Short form: Engage defensive Cuisinart.

I read it as: Normal opportunity attacks are free. Also, you can do an opportunity attack (not free) against anyone who dares approach you.

I don't think you get a free attack if someone approaches you. You only get one if someone move more than 5 feet within you reach (walking around you).

gyor

Legend
Deep Stalker Ranger looks fine to me, even if the Ranger itself is underwhelming.

Shadow Sorcerer, I like the concept but the Hound of Ill Omen though I feel doesn't scale with level when it should, though the disadvantage to the targets saves is useful. I also don't like the fact that it apparently has a separate initiative from the PC, that adds unnecessary complications in my opinion.

Undying Light Warlock, there's something I feel that's off with the concept, is that a Warlock has to feel like they're dealing with something sort of unpleasant or at least slightly menacing. This one needs a little more of an explanation on why it's spooky like the other Warlocks and those flaws I feel don't do enough. In fact they probably should have a patron entity in my opinion.

Agreed 110‰, I'll add calling the patron undying light makes it confusing, change it to Celestial Pact, also Xag-ya, ravids could also make cool patrons. Or the souls of babies waiting to be born.

Remove ads

Remove ads