• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Light, Dark, Underdark - November's Unearthed Arcana

Interesting stuff.

Jaappleton

First Post
I forget where it is in the books, but there's an explicit entry somewhere that says you never stack the same bonus.

The bonuses are from separate sources. I don't see why they wouldn't apply. Also, as MAD as it'd be, I would love to see the Undying Light Warlock paired with the Sun Soul Monk, to get +Dex and +Cha to Radiant Sun Bolt (it is a ranged spell attack), and you'd get that for each bolt thrown.

MYV

First Post
They're both Combat Style bonuses, so, being from the same source, they don't stack.

What are you talking about, they have to be from the SAME source... not from the same group of benefits.
you are saying that 2 spells woudn't stack because the both are spells (same group)

benefits from 2 spells stack, they don't stack if the come from the SAME spell.

if you cast shield and have hast active you get the bonus of both to AC, while 2 haste spells on you don't stack the AC you gain from it.

Dausuul

Legend
They're both Combat Style bonuses, so, being from the same source, they don't stack.
There's no such thing as a "Combat Style bonus." There's just a bonus, which is granted by a particular combat style. That particular combat style is the source; a different combat style is a different source.

Spells are a good analogy. There's no such thing as a "spell bonus." There are just bonuses, which are granted by various spells. Casting the same spell twice won't let you stack the bonuses, but two different spells that grant bonuses to the same thing do stack.

Just in case you hadn't looked it up yourself.

Pact: a formal agreement between two countries, people, or groups especially to help each other or to stop fighting

Congrats. You can cherry pick a completely irrelevant definition from an online dictionary. Let's look at something more useful:

Pact: an agreement, covenant, or compact (from www.dictionary.com)

This is what "Pact Magic" boils down to. Warlocks get their powers by bargaining with otherworldly powers, per the PHB. There sure as *** isn't any definition of the word "pact" which says "something for nothing"; both sides agree to the pact's terms. The Warlock's patron gives him eldritch powers, and the warlock gives the patron... something. It's up to the GM. His immortal soul. His first born. A lifetime of service. Extra dimensional booty calls. Running errands every other Friday. A high five. Whatever.

But this "Undying Light" patron doesn't seem to want anything, so it's basically a free ride and I'm calling shenanigans on that.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Congrats. You can cherry pick a completely irrelevant definition from an online dictionary. Let's look at something more useful:

Pact: an agreement, covenant, or compact (from www.dictionary.com)

This is what "Pact Magic" boils down to. Warlocks get their powers by bargaining with otherworldly powers, per the PHB. There sure as *** isn't any definition of the word "pact" which says "something for nothing"; both sides agree to the pact's terms. The Warlock's patron gives him eldritch powers, and the warlock gives the patron... something. It's up to the GM. His immortal soul. His first born. A lifetime of service. Extra dimensional booty calls. Running errands every other Friday. A high five. Whatever.

But this "Undying Light" patron doesn't seem to want anything, so it's basically a free ride and I'm calling shenanigans on that.

Yes, but that pact could be as simple as run to town and fetch my groceries and I'll give you this book of eldritch secrets for you to learn. Or in the case of the Fey: "Here are magical secrets. The cost? You paid it with your smile." It could be given away for the lolz in the case of the Fey just to see what happens or from the Infernal to see how much suffering you can cause. PCs are murder hobo's wandering the land causing chaos and destruction, so why not. GOO? Their motives are nearly unfathomable. I remember one poster's backstory as his GOO pact powers were in exchange for the entity to ride along inside his head to perceive and experience our reality. As far as the Undying Light goes, who's to say it isn't getting anything from deal. Perhaps every radiant spell you cast bolsters the world and thus the light. Every evil you snuff out makes light stronger.

Serpine

Explorer
I forget where it is in the books, but there's an explicit entry somewhere that says you never stack the same bonus.
In 5e I am not aware of that prohibition except in the case of the proficiency bonus (where it says all over the place not to add it twice unless explicitly told to double or such). In some prior editions there were various typed bonuses (i.e. a +2 "morale" bonus or a +1 "armor" bonus) that were not supposed to stack except in the case of dodge, circumstance, or bonuses with no listed type, but most bonuses this time don't specify a type to restrict by.

It does note in the PHB that the effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, but even that isn't restricting spells with similar impact, just two instances of the same spell (i.e. Bless x 2).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bardbarian

First Post
I am not sure why you think an agreement must require a massive sacrifice. Agreements can be amicable between parties. Something as simple as use these powers and my influence shall spread is sufficient.

As for "cherry picking" I used m-w.com a very respected source and my first and only search. My definition actually matches part of yours which consists of only synonyms. Are you sure you didn't use the Thesaurus?

I am not sure why you think an agreement must require a massive sacrifice. Agreements can be amicable between parties. Something as simple as use these powers and my influence shall spread is sufficient.

As for "cherry picking" I used m-w.com a very respected source and my first and only search. My definition actually matches part of yours which consists of only synonyms. Are you sure you didn't use the Thesaurus?

Actually, in my last post I explicitly stated in might NOT be a massive sacrifice; the list of examples I wrote made that absolutely clear. Or do think a "high five" is some sort of "massive sacrifice"? Never mind, don't answer that. You'll just muck it up again.

And yes, yours was the least applicable definition that came up when I did a web search. Also, I posted a link so you could easily very my source; I suggest you do so.

Are you even reading my posts? I'm all done reading yours, Ilya, because you're wasting my time. Now I'm off to update my Ignore List....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads