• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Light Shield and Implement question

lkj

Hero
I'm thinking about creating a Paladin multiclassed into wizard.

--The wizard multiclass feat allows the use of wizard implements.
-- The light shield allows you hold something in your shield hand
-- The light shield does not allow you to attack with that held object

Clearly the restriction is to prevent you from attacking with two weapons while also having a shield. However, is it only referring to weapon attacks? Meaning, can you hold a magic wand in your shield hand and still get the wand's benefit when using your wizard attack powers?

I guess the question is, for a wand, is holding the same as wielding? Is wand simply enhancing a wizard attack or is it considered a weapon itself?

AD

PS: Holy cow, man, the double entendres in my message are terrible. I thought of replacing wand with orb or staff but realized that it doesn't help in the slightest.

Drakhar

First Post
This was answered in the 4e PHB FAQ actually. Using an implement to enhance your spells is the same as attacking with it, so having a light shield on the same arm holding your wand does not give you the enhancement bonuses from it, you do however get access to the items properties.

Thasmodious

First Post
Holding is not the same as wielding. Rules-wise, wielding your sword and wielding your implement are about the same thing. A staff has to be wielded in both hands, an orb or wand in a free hand.

Personally, I would rule that the player with the light shield and an implement in hand would be able to use one or the other each round, but not both. Mechanically it amounts to the same thing with the added benefit of a happy PC who doesn't have to use minor actions changing equipment around.

Kordeth

First Post
No, you cannot attack with an implement in your shield hand any more than you can attack with a weapon in your shield hand. If the implement has a passive ability, like "+2 to saving throws while holding," you get that, but you can't actually attack with the implement.

lkj

Hero
Drakhar said:
This was answered in the 4e PHB FAQ actually. Using an implement to enhance your spells is the same as attacking with it, so having a light shield on the same arm holding your wand does not give you the enhancement bonuses from it, you do however get access to the items properties.

Thanks much. I should have seen that. I'm just reading through the books , so I haven't gone and plumbed the wizards online resources. I should have figured it was already answered..

AD

lkj

Hero
Thasmodious said:
Holding is not the same as wielding. Rules-wise, wielding your sword and wielding your implement are about the same thing. A staff has to be wielded in both hands, an orb or wand in a free hand.

Personally, I would rule that the player with the light shield and an implement in hand would be able to use one or the other each round, but not both. Mechanically it amounts to the same thing with the added benefit of a happy PC who doesn't have to use minor actions changing equipment around.

Yeah. This was my second question. Could you forgo he benefit of a shield to use the implement (essentially losing the AC and reflex bonus until your next turn).

It doesn't explicitly allow it, so I guess it would have to be a house rule.

AD

lkj

Hero
Drakhar said:

Ok. I'm an idiot. Where is the FAQ?

AD

Alkiera

First Post
An implement must be wielded to gain the enhancement bonus to spell attack/damage. You could hold it in your shield hand, but not wield it there. It might make it easier for you to grab when you swap weapon for implement to cast a spell, but you can't use the bonuses unless it is wielded.

I'd argue you might be able to swap your sword with your wand as a minor action if you held it that way, and thus swap, cast a spell with wand, then swap again using your move action as a minor, so you'd be able to make OAs with the sword.

That said, someone said WotC ruled that you can get the passive bonusers of a focus by just holding it (i.e. the various passive Rod of Whatever effects), though I'm not sure on that... The implements section for wizard and warlock both say you need to wield the implement to get the effects, and the magic item section also mentions wielding them. Also, Holy Symbols don't need to be wielded to grant a bonus, just held or worn.

Remove ads