• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Light Weapon Question, Grapple Question

Hereticus

First Post
Rapiers (2 lbs) and scimitars (3 lbs) are finesse and light weapons. A longsword (3 lbs) is versatile, can it also be considered a light weapon when wielded with one hand? What about a battleaxe (4 lbs)?

While using an attack action to grapple, can I only attack to do combat damage if I have a second attack that round? If I am the one being grappled, can I choose not to try to escape and use my action to attack to do combat damage?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Light weapons are labelled as such. If a weapon doesn't say it's light, it's not.

Yes, grappling replaces ONE of your attacks. If you have another attack, you can use it. If you don't, you can't. You also need a one hand to grapple so you'll be attacking with your other hand. Bear in mind that on subsequent rounds you don't need to spend any action to maintain the grapple, you just need to not let go, so on those rounds you will get your full unarmed strike routine.

Yes, you CAN use your action to attempt escape, but I don't see anything forcing you to do so. Grappling reduces your speed to 0 but doesn't restrict your actions in any way so you could attack the grappler instead.

Hereticus

First Post
Light weapons are labelled as such. If a weapon doesn't say it's light, it's not.

Most light weapons are finesse weapons, meaning the attack bonus works off dexterity.

And if your a fighter who wears heavy armor, there is no dexterity bonus.

Yeah there is a feat you can take to fix this, but it stinks until you do.

Does anyone have a two weapon fighter, and what have they done?

Yes, grappling replaces ONE of your attacks. If you have another attack, you can use it. If you don't, you can't. You also need a one hand to grapple so you'll be attacking with your other hand. Bear in mind that on subsequent rounds you don't need to spend any action to maintain the grapple, you just need to not let go, so on those rounds you will get your full unarmed strike routine.

Yes, you CAN use your action to attempt escape, but I don't see anything forcing you to do so. Grappling reduces your speed to 0 but doesn't restrict your actions in any way so you could attack the grappler instead.

On subsequent rounds after the first, I can use one light weapon wielded with one hand. However if I am the grappled, I can use my full attack as long as it is unarmed or light?

DracoSuave

First Post
Most light weapons are finesse weapons, meaning the attack bonus works off dexterity.

The attack bonus works off melee. A finesse weapon MAY use dexterity instead, but they are not required to do so.

And if your a fighter who wears heavy armor, there is no dexterity bonus.

Armor one is proficient in does not affect any attack rolls or ability checks in any way, with the exception of Stealth.

Yeah there is a feat you can take to fix this, but it stinks until you do.

There is nothing to fix.

As a grappler: Use a dagger or another light weapon specifically for grapples. There is no reason to restrict yourself to a single weapon.

As the grappled: Attack them with your two-handed weapon.

On subsequent rounds after the first, I can use one light weapon wielded with one hand. However if I am the grappled, I can use my full attack as long as it is unarmed or light?

Nothing in the grappled condition restricts you from making any attacks. It only makes your speed 0 and prevents any modifiers to speed.

Paraxis

Explorer

You can use strength or dexterity when fighting with finesse weapons for attack and damage, your choice. So go ahead and use strength with your rapier attacks.

Not much to do besides pick two d8 weapons and go to town.
So any combination of battle axe, flail, longsword, morningstar, rapier, war pick, and warhammer.

About the only interesting thing I can see is for dual weapon mounted knights using two lances at the same time.

Hereticus

First Post
You can use strength or dexterity when fighting with finesse weapons for attack and damage, your choice. So go ahead and use strength with your rapier attacks.

To put it in dice terms; light weapons do up to d6 damage, non-light weapons do at least d8 damage.

Not much to do besides pick two d8 weapons and go to town.
So any combination of battle axe, flail, longsword, morningstar, rapier, war pick, and warhammer.

That would require the dual wielding feat, which I will probably select at some point.

About the only interesting thing I can see is for dual weapon mounted knights using two lances at the same time.

As long as they can be used with only one hand each. Or perhaps that knight could use one lance while grappling!

Hereticus

First Post
Next questions, regarding the use of a longbow.

The attack bonus is based on dexterity, or like other finesse weapons can the attack bonus be based on strength?

Like composite longbows in past editions, does the full strength bonus get added to damage?

Paraxis

Explorer
Next questions, regarding the use of a longbow.

The attack bonus is based on dexterity, or like other finesse weapons can the attack bonus be based on strength?

Like composite longbows in past editions, does the full strength bonus get added to damage?

Nope just Dex.

Dex to hit and damage only.

Remove ads