• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lightning Draw Chain.

genshou

First Post
Firael said:
Well I only worked with 3.0 corebooks for a year and then turned to 3.5 edition. So I haven't had the chance to read Oriental Adventures.

As for sneak damage vs. normal damage, it doesn't make sense. Lightning Draw essentialy allows you draw your sword realy fast and attack the enemy into a unprotected weak-spot, such as eyes, openings in armor and so on. I don't understand how you could do this to a ooze or undead. They just don't have these kinds of locations.

Oh well. But overall, what do you think? Is it overpowered/balanced/underpowered?

P.S. I don't allow 3.0 material in my games unless it's cleared with me. 3.5 Core+Complete books are always fine for me (except Leaping Attack from Complete Adventurer, nasty buisness), anything else, again if it's cleared with me.
Iaijutsu is an ability to focus one's ki in order to deal more damage with a weapon draw. It's not possible to perform in the middle of combat (even if you're invisible or flanking your opponent), and it does not derive from a special knowledge of or expertise with pressure points and vulnerable spots on the human body. Thus, it is not sneak attack.

Also, Iaijutsu Focus can be used against unattended objects, so I'd hardly say it relies on vulnerability to critical hits.

Your rules look OK, but I'm more partial to iaijutsu as a skill rather than a feat.

Ruvion

First Post
although...a feat rather than a skill is a novel idea...maybe allowing the iaijutsu to build up in d6 damage by building weapon focus/specialization chain would be a better idea...hhmmmm :p

Firael

First Post
Uhh... Iaijutsu - Wikipedia on Iaijutsu
Essentialy I'd say it's a fast draw ability. But it combines drawing and cutting. These cuts are usualy aimed at "weak-spots" or vulnerable loactions. Therefor I'd call it sneak damage.

So far It's looking as if the people like it. Good good.

genshou

First Post
Firael said:
Uhh... Iaijutsu - Wikipedia on Iaijutsu
Essentialy I'd say it's a fast draw ability. But it combines drawing and cutting. These cuts are usualy aimed at "weak-spots" or vulnerable loactions. Therefor I'd call it sneak damage.

So far It's looking as if the people like it. Good good.
Could you not, then, make the same argument for critical hits that you are for sneak attack? After all, threat range indicates your ability to do just what you describe. If you want to make it sneak attack, then it isn't really iaijutsu anymore–it's just a cheap and limited imitation of the rogue class ability, with greater limits and no benefits over sneak attacking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads