• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lightning Template?

Gaiden

Explorer
Any lightning/electricity template out there?

I searched through all the MM's and didn't find anything. I am trying to stat out Ixion from FFX and was going to use a unicorn as the base creature and apply a "lightning template" to it to stay within the mechanics of 3.X (as opposed to just making it up myself).

Gaiden

Explorer
I am guessing that the silence means there isn't anything out there.

So the next question is: Do any monsters exist that could be used to derive a lightning template from?

Two prime candidates seem to be the shocker lizard and thunderbird. But neither is amenable to the derivation of a template IMO.

Any suggestions?

Voadam

Legend
I would go with electricity immunity and a damaging electricity aura similar to the fire elemental's fire aura(adds to natural attacks and inflicts on those attacking the creature with natural attacks, damage based on creature size). CR oh about +1 I'd think off hand.

I'm not familiar with your FFX reference so I can't really recommend a closer fit.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
You might try using the Storm Elemental (MMIII p.48) to derive a Lightning Creature from. Though I could've sworn there was some kind of Lightning Paraelemental somehwere but nothing in the Manual of the Planes or the Planar Handbook.

Gaiden

Explorer
Liquidsabre said:
You might try using the Storm Elemental (MMIII p.48) to derive a Lightning Creature from. Though I could've sworn there was some kind of Lightning Paraelemental somehwere but nothing in the Manual of the Planes or the Planar Handbook.

That's what I thought too - lightning paraelemental. But when I looked for it, I found nothing. I wonder if its in 2nd Ed stuff...hmmm....just checked 2e MM, and annual compendiums 1-4: nothing.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I've always been quite fond of all things elemental myself, including all of the paraelementals (magma, storm, smoke, etc.). Shouldn't be too hard to put together I think, just take the Elemental Type and give the elemental creature some special abilities for it. I'll see what I can work up real quick for it, sounds like fun! :p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Gaiden said:
That's what I thought too - lightning paraelemental. But when I looked for it, I found nothing. I wonder if its in 2nd Ed stuff...hmmm....just checked 2e MM, and annual compendiums 1-4: nothing.

There was a Lightning Quasi-Elemental in 1E.

Here's a 3E Conversion.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads