"...like Dungeons and Dragons."

Wicht

Hero
Yeah, actually in this case, there is not a lot of point in writing the reporter, she is just quoting the officer. That was his reaction. Who knows, perhaps the guy did set it up like a dungeon and the police officer immediately made the connection without malice towards the game.

My only thought, as already stated, is that assault rifles and the like are not what I think of when I think of dnD, but then again, it does sound like the guy was a real weapons junky.

Of course, how many of us haven't looked at Sting on display and thought about owning it... At least I know I have.

Wolfspider

Explorer
The email I just sent

I just sent the author of the article the following email:

I just finished reading your article, "OAKDALE: Workers threatened, police say," and I feel obligated to comment on your inclusion of a quote that negatively compares the suspect's basement to the role-playing game Dungeons and Dragons.

Upfront I will tell you that I have played Dungeons and Dragons for twenty years, and I have seen the game suffer much unfair treatment by the press. Despite (and perhaps in part because of) my experience with Dungeons and Dragons, I became interested in literature and writing, so much so that I became a college English teacher seven years ago.

I have to question why you would choose to include Hutton's apparently off-the-cuff remark about Dungeons and Dragons, especially because it is not mentioned anywhere in the article that the suspect was a player. Being somewhat jaded about the past treatment of D&D in newspapers and on television, I have to assume that it was done for the shock value and/or name recognition.

It is a faulty comparison, however, and for more reasons than just the fact that the suspect had no experience with the game. I don't have a special room in my house where I stockpile small arms and ammunitions. In fact, in my twenty year experience I have never met any D&D players who have had such a room.

In addition, what exactly is the relationship between automatic weapons and Dungeons and Dragons? The game is set in a fantasy world, much like the popular Lord of the Rings movie that is a box-office hit right now. The knives and martial arts weapons might help evoke such an image, but you can also find such weapons in any number of martial arts and action movies. By the way, the odd three-bladed throwing weapon that the police found is probably a hunga munga, an African weapon that I found out about, not by playing Dungeons and Dragons, but by watching the popular TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I am not particularly angry or outraged by your article. Like I said before, it's typical of the treatment the game has received since its creation. I still feel that it is an unfair and damaging comparison, and I ask you to reconsider making the same comparison in the future.

Thank you for your time.

A2Z

Explorer
Bill Door said:
eVerY hoBBy haS itS roGUes, frieNDs.
dO noT coNCerN youRSelF tOO muCH.

The thing of it is, this guy isn't a fellow hobbiest. The article never mentioned him playing D&D. The comment had no place in the article. Exactly what does 'like dungeons and dragons' mean anyway?

MythandLore

First Post
A2Z said:

The thing of it is, this guy isn't a fellow hobbiest. The article never mentioned him playing D&D. The comment had no place in the article. Exactly what does 'like dungeons and dragons' mean anyway?

It means means, when the cops went to check his basement they found Satan sitting on a lay-z-boy chair eating cheetos.
He asked them, "So, your my 3 O'clock? I though you'd at least kill a goat or chicken or something."

What did you think it ment?

A2Z

Explorer
MythandLore said:

It means means, when the cops went to check his basement they found Satan sitting on a lay-z-boy chair eating cheetos.
He asked them, "So, your my 3 O'clock? I though you'd at least kill a goat or chicken or something."

What did you think it ment?

Well, what I meant is; what do chinese built firearms have to do with D&D? Also, if someone walks into a dojo and sees throwing stars and quarterstaffs hanging on the walls who's going to immediatly think; "hmmm, looks like dungeons and dragons"?

graydoom

First Post
Good email, Wolfspider!

Personally, I think this is getting out of hand. Though it does show that D&D still has a somewhat negative association for many people. Sigh. :(

Emiricol

Nicely done

I think Wolfspider's excellent letter did a great job! I'm glad I read this thread again before sending my own letter - WS's letter was much better. I think I'll just let this be, now hehe

Wolfspider, let me or us all know if you get a reply!:p

Remove ads