• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Liked the movie-- hated going to see it...

Shemeska

Adventurer
WmRAllen67 said:
in West Philadelphia...

There's your problem ;)

But no, seriously, I've never had a good experience with folks in Philly in general. I had some really bad experience with a streak of rudeness / racism from folks there who refused to seat us on time, served other people before us, etc because we were white (at a Denny's no less, oh the irony I suppose).

But perhaps moving away from that ugliness, I've not noticed any major surge in idiots at the movie theatre since I was a kid (when I remember tossing mike & ikes at people's heads during icky romance stuff).

the Jester

Legend
Meh, when I went to see Kong there were several phone conversations during the film. After the movie was over, I commented on how rude it was to my girlfriend. Someone else responded, "Well, I run a business on mine, so I can't really turn it off."

Well, then don't come to the movies!

Lefferts

First Post
WmRAllen67 said:
I took myself to see King Kong today, at the early show (11:10a) here on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in West Philadelphia...

Shemeska may have been joking, but that is the worst theater I have ever been in for rudeness (I went to school at Drexel, so it was within walking distance)

Dark Jezter

First Post
Wormwood said:
edit: what is wrong with screaming "shut the :):):):) up!" at the morons who talk on the cell phone during a film?

I've seen that happen.

A few years ago when I was in a theater seeing a movie (I can't remember exactly which movie it was), some guy was talking quite loudly on his cell phone while everybody was trying to watch the movie. Finally, the person sitting in front of them stood up, turned around, and said in a very loud and irritated voice "Would you please turn off your damn phone?! Some of us are trying to watch the movie!"

It worked. The person talking on their phone quickly hung up, and the person who had the balls to stand up and say something got a round of applause from the other members of the audience. :lol:

Psionicist

Explorer
You don't have any idea what you're talking about. Haven't you heard? The reason people don't care about the theatre anymore is because of piracy! ;)

RichCsigs

First Post
the Jester said:
Meh, when I went to see Kong there were several phone conversations during the film. After the movie was over, I commented on how rude it was to my girlfriend. Someone else responded, "Well, I run a business on mine, so I can't really turn it off."

Well, then don't come to the movies!

If it's that important, then take your conversation outside the theatre.

This was a while ago, but it's still bugging me. My wife and I have a couple of fairly young kids, and we don't go out as often as we might, so going to the movies together is fairly special. We went to see Adaptation--I said this was a while ago :) --and some oaf in front of me kept saying things during the movie like, "This is the dumbest movie I've ever seen." I'm kinda timid in such situations, but I was so wanting to hand over a $10 and say, "Happy now? Take it and go." A lost opportunity, alas.

More recently, I had something of the opposite happen--I went to a show on a non-holiday Friday afternoon and was completely alone in the theater. Hardly knew what to do.

Crothian

First Post
Aesthetic Monk said:
More recently, I had something of the opposite happen--I went to a show on a non-holiday Friday afternoon and was completely alone in the theater. Hardly knew what to do.

I call a friend, only time I'll do that in a movie theater

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads