• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Limited Wish - Swapping Spells Known?

Thanee

First Post
Would you allow Limited Wish to swap one sorcerer spell known (under the same conditions as when a sorcerer can do so during level up, i.e. only from a spell level two lower than your highest and only against one of the same level)?

Bye
Thanee

No.

If limited wish had an XP cost attached to it then I'd consider it but realistically, I don't see limited wish as a spell of a power level to do this.
The obvious abuse is a Sorcerer with limited wish to get around some of the restrictions of the base class. I think this is more a job for wish where the XP cost can be readily enforced.

I see Limited Wish more as a temporary sort of entity, rather than a permanent. As such, one way that this effect could be allowed is the casting of limited wish to allow a particular spell to be added to a sorcerer's spell list for a "limited" period of time - all in the name you see. ;)
As to the length of this period of time, perhaps 1 day for a 1st or 2nd level spell, 1 hour for a 3rd or 4th, and 1 min for a 5th or 6th. This might work as a reasonable solution. A permanent change however does not seem in keeping with the limited wish spell.

Your thoughts?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Yeah, at those levels 300 xp is only about 2% of the XP it takes to advance a level. Whereas wish is almost a quarter of a level.

IIRC some high level sorcerers in Faerun use wishes to change their spells known. Like the Simbul. If they use wishes, it suggests that limited wish won't do.

I'd modify Herreman's suggestion and let it work for a day, no matter the spell level.

Xael said:
Err, but it has. :uhoh:

Not a very big one though.

I think I must have lost a little perspective here. 5000XP (for a wish) is an xp cost. 300XP is just an XP speed bump. :D
I've been playing too many high level characters of late. Thank you however for the correction.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

thorian

Explorer
I think I would let the player swap a spell for a month (game time not real time); that sounds about right for limited wish. I would allow wish to change it with no limit on the duration.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'd let it swap out a spell of 5th level or lower on a permanent basis. I don't think it's that powerful to allow, a sorcerer is already at a spell caster disadvantage at higher levels due to getting the next level of spells 1 level later, and I've never seen that swaping a spell is that powerful. However, since you're casting it as a 7th level spell, I'd limit it as if that was your max spell level (but I'd let wish swap it out regardless of level). And if a sorcerer abuses it, 300 XP will still add up.

Scion

First Post
Definately.

Limited wish can duplicate effects of other effects of 4th level or lower (from the 'any' category, other categories are higher). There happens to be a 4th level effect that would do something very like this.

of course, if it wound up being more than 300xp by using that particular 4th level effect then the sorc would have to pay the higher cost.

But, it can definately do it. 300xp is a hefty cost for what is not exactly a major effect.

I am not sure what sort of players shrug off 300xp. Personally, I dont like casting any spell with an exp cost. At least this effect is somewhat worth it however.

Remove ads