• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Limits for magic items PCs can buy when starting at high level

Longbow

First Post
Some of my players characters died and couldn´t be raised. So they made brand new PCs, starting at level 11. I gave them 66.000 GP to buy magic items and equipment as stated in the DMG.

At first I told them they can buy any items they like with the gold. One of the players then said he will get a +5 armor. That got me a little worried. I think having only a few items that cost a lot could be unbalancing.

I then made some limits what to buy and how much gold they could use for an item. Now I´m afraid their ACs could be too low. I´ve allowed the following items which provide a bonus to AC: Ring of Protection +2, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Armor/Shields +2.
A character with a Fullplate +2, Ring of Protection +2, Dex 12 would have AC 23 or AC 25 with an Amulet of Natural Armor +2. The same PC gets AC 27 oder AC 29 with a Large Shield +2.

Someone wielding a shield looks OK, a Greatsword-wielding Fighter not. Of course, spells like Haste help out, too.

These are my total rules for what my players can buy, the values are only a limit for the total cost of one item:

15.000 for armor/shields. Animated Shield and +3 enhancement is not allowed (so no Fullplate +3, a Light Fortification Fullplate+2 would be OK).
20.000 for weapons. Holy, Unholy, Axiomatic, Thundering, Chaotic, Lawful, Bane, Disruption, Wounding are not allowed; no more that one energy damaging effect like flaming per weapon
15.000 for rings
14.000 for rods
2.200 for scrolls
17.000 for staffs
21.000 for wands
900 for potions
16.000 for wondrous items. Cloak of Resistance+4 is not allowed. Stat-boosting items are OK, but PCs can get only one with a +4 bonus and only one with a +2 bonus.

So, am I just being worried over nothing or did I make an error with those limits?

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Looks ok to me. This should produce alotments of items as if they found them in the field rather than bought them at Wal-Magic

szilard

First Post
I'd be simpler and more flexible.

Total gold: 66,000

No single item can cost more than 20,000 gp
No more than 1 item can cost 15,001-20,000 gp
No more than 3 items can cost 10,001-15,000 gp

Something like that.

-Stuart

frankthedm

First Post
I'd say raise the cap on potions and scrolls [limit scrolls to x spell level though] I'd say insist on at least 2000 gp in scrolls and potions at a minimum.

I'd say your being more restrictive than most, but I dislike customised XXXX gp for X level character. As I said, your alotments ensure a nice spead of stuff rather than 3-4 optimised items and nothing else.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Except at official RPGA conventions and other places where powergamers are known to hang out ... I really think that strict item requirements are not necessary.

szilard said:
Total gold: 66,000

No single item can cost more than 20,000 gp

I like this statement, though. Beyond that, let the players pick.

See, I'm a member of the camp that believes that players who choose 1 big item need to be taught a lesson about diversity. If a player spends a ton of money on one item it is a reflection upon the DM style than more than anything else. It is essentially a sign that the player is giving the DM. It says "The DM challenges us through combat almost all the time. Therefore, if I make myself hard to hit then I'll live." Note: this may be true or it may be false. But it is the player's perception of the DM style.

I'd personally let the player buy such an item. I'd even throw him a few bones in combat so that his choice has some use. But, I'd also throw him some encounters that combat didn't defeat. Throw him a few encounters that improving his saves might have made easier. Throw him a few encounters where the enemy has a really high AC and saves but a poor attack so that he might have wanted to make his own attack better. Throw him a few encounters where resistance to elemental damage might have been needed. You get my point.

RPGs are always give and take. RPGs are also better when people are taught to be diverse and use forethought rather than be forced into it through a complex set of rules.

EDIT: I also believe that RPGs are est when the DM evaluates the party and constantly plays the give and take. Regardless of what items the players select, they will have strengths and weaknesses. DMs should be diverse enough to allow the players to play to strengths as hard as they want but also challenge them in their weaknesses. The less diverse a character is ... the easier this becomes. When players select one or two major items rather than a host of lesser items your job as a DM is actually easier. Your players need to learn that ... not have it forced upon them through regulations.

Last edited:

Longbow

First Post
I may be too strict, but it´s reassuring that it doesn´t look too bad.

Allowing total freedom could lead to interesting, still challenging and entertaining situations like you described, Nonlethal Force. I´ll stick to my ruling and see how it goes. Just feels safer to me.

I have to admit the less I have to prepare for the adventure the better (time issues). I´m running mostly adventures from Dungeon, so normaly there should be enough varied encounters with that approach.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Bad Paper

First Post
wuh. All this is too complicated. I usually say "30% for armor, 30% for weapons, 30% for 'other,' and 10% consumables." That gives them a ballpark, and then they usually come up with a few wonky changes, but it's usually close.

For the player in question, I would probably allow +3 armor and +3 shield.

szilard

First Post
Bad Paper said:
wuh. All this is too complicated. I usually say "30% for armor, 30% for weapons, 30% for 'other,' and 10% consumables." That gives them a ballpark, and then they usually come up with a few wonky changes, but it's usually close.

Less than ideal for many character classes.

I have to spend 30% of my gold on armor for my Wizard?

-Stuart

Stalker0

Legend
I think the 20,000 gp cap is good. It allows for +4 stat items, +4 armors and +3 weapons. All of those should be fine at 11th level.

Jack Simth

First Post
Longbow said:
Some of my players characters died and couldn´t be raised. So they made brand new PCs, starting at level 11. I gave them 66.000 GP to buy magic items and equipment as stated in the DMG.

At first I told them they can buy any items they like with the gold. One of the players then said he will get a +5 armor. That got me a little worried. I think having only a few items that cost a lot could be unbalancing.

I then made some limits what to buy and how much gold they could use for an item. Now I´m afraid their ACs could be too low. I´ve allowed the following items which provide a bonus to AC: Ring of Protection +2, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Armor/Shields +2.
A character with a Fullplate +2, Ring of Protection +2, Dex 12 would have AC 23 or AC 25 with an Amulet of Natural Armor +2. The same PC gets AC 27 oder AC 29 with a Large Shield +2.

Someone wielding a shield looks OK, a Greatsword-wielding Fighter not. Of course, spells like Haste help out, too.

These are my total rules for what my players can buy, the values are only a limit for the total cost of one item:

15.000 for armor/shields. Animated Shield and +3 enhancement is not allowed (so no Fullplate +3, a Light Fortification Fullplate+2 would be OK).
20.000 for weapons. Holy, Unholy, Axiomatic, Thundering, Chaotic, Lawful, Bane, Disruption, Wounding are not allowed; no more that one energy damaging effect like flaming per weapon
15.000 for rings
14.000 for rods
2.200 for scrolls
17.000 for staffs
21.000 for wands
900 for potions
16.000 for wondrous items. Cloak of Resistance+4 is not allowed. Stat-boosting items are OK, but PCs can get only one with a +4 bonus and only one with a +2 bonus.

So, am I just being worried over nothing or did I make an error with those limits?
You're sweating it a little too much. A Munchkin doesn't normally buy +5 Armor. It's pointless. He buys +1 armor with a few useful specials, begs a Magic Vestments off the party cleric, and invests the rest of his cash intended for defense into other +AC items - like a ring of deflection, an amulet of natural armor, an ioun stone, et cetera.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads