• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

lines and targeting

sammy

First Post
Could someone explain to me line of sight and line of effect? I am not sure I am DMing it right. Do you always need line of sight to a target? I thought it was only line of effect, but a player thinks otherwise.

Thanks,

Sammy

1of3

Explorer
You need both for melee and ranged powers. You only need line of effect for close powers. For area bursts, you need line of effect to the central square and from the central square to the others.

Mahali

Explorer
It depends on how the power is worded.

You obviously need LoE to effect someone, but there are powers that can only target or effect "each enemy/creature you can see", which requires both LoS and LoE.

You need both for melee and ranged powers. You only need line of effect for close powers. For area bursts, you need line of effect to the central square and from the central square to the others.

Not true. If it was true then this whole section that comes after the rules for total concealment ("you can’t see the target") wouldn't make much sense:
Melee Attacks and Ranged Attacks Only: Attack penalties from concealment apply only to the targets of melee or ranged attacks
PHB page 281

You need line of effect for everything unless the power you are using specifically says it just needs LOS, etc. If when you are determining LOE any line is blocked then the target has cover (of varying degrees).

You dont need line of sight for anything except targeting creatures specifically. If you do not have LOS then you must pick a square to attack. If the target of your attack is hidden from you you must guess which square to attack, otherwise you know which square the creature is in. If you make a melee or ranged attack the target will benefit from concealment (of varying degrees). If you make a close or area attack then the target will not benefit from concealment.

Last edited:

Remove ads