• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Linked Magic Items (ie. Master + Slave Device)

Centaur

First Post
Has anyone created, seen or used any rules concerning linked sets of magical items. Specificaly what I'm looking for are sets of items in which one item controls the functionality of several similar items.

Examples:
- A crystal that controls all the continual flame devices in castle.
- A ring that allows a BBEG to control several Collars or Chokers of "Dominate Person"
- An amulet that allows it's user to remotely activate necklaces of Polymorph on a specail unit if soldiers.

Many wierd or odd applications for such an application, some utilitarian and some that are down right insideous, suitable only for a BBEG.

Should the cost on the "Slave Device" be lower because it is not activated by the user, or should it be higher.

Should the cost on the "Master Device" be based on the number of devices that can link to it, or should it just have a nominal cost and the linking cost be in the "Slave Device"

Finaly, should a thing like this even be possible, or is it too dangerous a thing. Too prone to abuse?

apocalypstick

First Post
Check out the Friend Shield ring in the 3.5 DMG, pg 232.

There's something like this in the BoVD as well, if I remember correctly. Concept-wise, that is.

JayOmega

First Post
Well, if it's just your game, you can veto any abusive combinations. :D

Seriously, I haven't seen such a rule anywhere.

If you want to come up with a general rule, I'd consider these limits:

Multiple activations of [spell] should not be cheaper than an activation of [mass spell]. As the most-conservative rule, only allow mass spells to be used in items of this sort, and price them at a slight discount to a normal command-activated [mass spell] item, since the targets are pre-selected by the slave items (slave items are effectively free; part of the enchantment of the master.) If the use of slave items increases the effective range or area-of-effect of the [mass spell], it should be more expensive, of course (consider pricing as an Enlarged or Widened spell, perhaps).

Most "mass spells" are about 4 levels higher than their base spell, so that's a reasonable price increase for spells without mass versions, like your Polymorph set (actually, Animal Shapes is sort-of Mass Polymorph). But be careful of abusive choices (Mass True Strike? :rolleyes: ).

Spells that don't or shouldn't have [mass] versions can gain a lot of power in items like this. Two activations is equivalent to having the Quicken feat, and should be priced appropriately. I don't think there's a way to get three activations short of possible Epic stuff, which should also be priced appropriately. The Clapper (crystal ball of torch control) obviously isn't Epic, while "Horrid Wilting, One-castle radius" obviously is, so there may not be a good rule/equation for this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads