• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

List of Fantasy Tabletop RPGs

Wulfang

First Post
Is there list of tabletop RPGs somewhere? Well, besides just scrolling through DriveThruRPG.

I am looking to start a new fantasy campaign but would like to veer away from the standard D&D, pathfinder, d20 route.

I know of quite a few that I have run/played in the past, but I am sure there are quite a few hidden gems out there I've never heard about.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I am looking to start a new fantasy campaign but would like to veer away from the standard D&D, pathfinder, d20 route.
Here's a really short list:

Modos RPG v1.4

It's free and is a sort of bastard child of Final Fantasy, Eamon, and Skyrim. So it's only like standard D&D to the extent that D&D probably directly inspired each of these games!

Technomancer

First Post
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of different games. You would be better off telling us what kind of things you'd like to see in a game (rules, setting, etc) and maybe someone can recommend a game that fits your needs.

Some that I like are (these are all free):

Dungeonslayers-Class based with an old school vibe but a simple, unified set of rules. Start with Third Edition (which is only 20 pages), and move on to Fourth if you like what you see.

Warrior, Rogue, and Mage-Instead of attributes, you have classes, or rather, your attributes are skill groups based on the three classes in the title. (you also have individual skills). Several supplements, all free.

Barbarians of Lemuria-Note that this version (the original) is free, but there is a commercial version that has gone through several editions/printings. Similar to WR&M above in that you have Careers as skill groups, but there are a lot more, and there aren't individual skills under them, although everyone also has four attributes and four combat skills.

Age of Shadow-Basically Runequest with rules and setting based heavily on Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
I agree with [MENTION=39901]Technomancer[/MENTION]; without some limiting criteria, just throwing out a list of systems isn't going to be terribly useful. Do you want heroic or gritty? High or low magic? Action-oriented, plot oriented, exploration oriented? How "crunchy" or "lite" does it need to be? Is there some mechanic you absolutely can't stand and will outright reject any system that uses it?

For example, I'll always and forever suggest Savage Worlds, and having used it for fantasy extensively, I know just how well it supports the fantasy genre (which is fantastically). But depending on what people are looking for, it's not the perfect system for everything.

Wulfang

First Post
The wiki list was actually pretty useful (thanks Nagol). I found a few out there I didn't know existed. I have two groups so my search was rather broad.

I think I settled on Fantasy Age for my by younger group.

Now I am looking ahead for my more advanced group. Specifically, I would prefer something that can support Sword & Sorcery or that kind of character-driven low-fantasy. I prefer 'crunchy' over 'lite' and my favorite systems are those that put allot of focus on narrative and cinematic (I love critical hit tables).

Currently I am reading through Riddle of Steel and Blade of the Iron Throne. They are a bit daunting to read and the art style/production value isn't the greatest but I really like what they are trying to convey.

I am also considering Rolemaster (which I played in my younger years), I like the cinematic and gritty combat. I was disappointed that the 'Classic' edition was just a re-print rather then a real cleanup and update to the game. Although their sites seems to hint that they are working on a new version.

Last edited:

Remove ads