• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E List of instant death spells in 5e

Fanaelialae

Legend
Can anyone tell me all the instant death spells in 5e?

By the strictest definition of instant death, the only spell I can think of is Power Word Kill. Disintegrate is arguably an instant death spell, since if it reduces you to 0 hp you die. However, there are no "save or die" spells. I'm fairly certain that all death magic in 5e is gated using hp.

Fanaelialae

Legend
So what are the spells that would kill a person without leaving any mark?

Killing without leaving a mark would really be up to your DM.

Were I running it, a person killed by phantasmal killer would be frozen in a terrified rictus. In my campaign, necrotic damage causes the target to become desiccated and decayed. I would allow Power Word Kill to kill without leaving a mark.

Mad_Jack

Legend
What's the purpose of the question?

Is there an assassination attempt going on?

The narrative physical effects of a spell are entirely up to the DM - Power Word: Kill could blow the target's head off, and Inflict Wounds might leave wide bleeding gashes all over the target.
Or they might not.
Phantasmal Killer might leave the target's corpse frozen in an expression of utter terror.
Or it might not.

It's entirely up to the DM unless the spell specifically describes the effects.

Tainted Powers

First Post
The guy died with an utter terror on his face. But like I said he was a psychic user and dying by taking psychic dmg every round will he dues with his wis save is highly unlikely.

Henry

Autoexreginated
How about in combination with an effect that caused a disadvantage to WIS saves? Can't think of any this moment, but disadvantage is pretty stiff even for a proficient character.

Remove ads