List of monsters confirmed in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

I'm going to be so happy when I get this book. The Sibriex gives 5e an Obyrith presence (and the Obyrith element of Abyssal history was easily the best part of the first Fiendish Codex), getting some demon lords and archdevils put in one central place is always nice, I'll always take any new Gith stuff I can get, and the Cadaver Collector is my favorite construct. This might be my favorite supplement overall for the edition.

I imagine we're going to get more Obyriths besides the Sibirex, since, going by the pages we've seen in the previews already, we're very likely to get lots of devils and demons. I'll repost something I said in the "Mordenkainen's starting to show up in the wild" thread concerning the pages and why we'll see lots of fiends in it:

"Moloch is in the "D" section (for "Devil" obviously, and the "D" is helpfully shown on each page), and is on pages 176 - 177. I hadn't looked previously for some reason (which is odd, since I always check for page numbers in previews so I can get as much info as possible on what an upcoming book contains), but the Astral Dreadnought is on page 117. So, given that we'll likely have a few "A" creatures before the Astral Dreadnought, the Bestiary is going to start somewhere around page 105 - 110 or so. As we know the book is 256 pages long, and the Bestiary is the last chapter of the book, that will give us ~155 - 160 pages or so of monsters, which is pretty impressive (barring a surprise appendix or something similar). Also, that means it's going to take a full 60 pages or so to get just from towards the end of "A" to the middle of "D". As we already know from the Fantasy Grounds preview that there are not that many "B" monsters (and even most of those there will actually be in the Demon and Devil sections in MToF), either we have a lot of stuff for "C" (while we know some clockwork stuff is going to be in there, it's probably not going to be dozens of pages worth!), or we're getting a heck of a lot of demons and devils (duergar will be after Moloch, and drow will be too, although they will probably be in the "E" section anyway like they were in the MM). Even the reprinted demon princes from OotA only take up 18 pages. Besides demons and devils, the only "theme" creatures that fit in that range would be derro, and I can't see them taking up more than a few pages. And of course, we'll still have other random creatures in that section as well. But still, that's a lot of page acreage to fill in such a small part of the alphabet! (And, we'll still have ~90 pages of monsters left for the post-Moloch section as well!)"

Saint_Ridley

Villager
I imagine we're going to get more Obyriths besides the Sibirex, since, going by the pages we've seen in the previews already, we're very likely to get lots of devils and demons. I'll repost something I said in the "Mordenkainen's starting to show up in the wild" thread concerning the pages and why we'll see lots of fiends in it:

"Moloch is in the "D" section (for "Devil" obviously, and the "D" is helpfully shown on each page), and is on pages 176 - 177. I hadn't looked previously for some reason (which is odd, since I always check for page numbers in previews so I can get as much info as possible on what an upcoming book contains), but the Astral Dreadnought is on page 117. So, given that we'll likely have a few "A" creatures before the Astral Dreadnought, the Bestiary is going to start somewhere around page 105 - 110 or so. As we know the book is 256 pages long, and the Bestiary is the last chapter of the book, that will give us ~155 - 160 pages or so of monsters, which is pretty impressive (barring a surprise appendix or something similar). Also, that means it's going to take a full 60 pages or so to get just from towards the end of "A" to the middle of "D". As we already know from the Fantasy Grounds preview that there are not that many "B" monsters (and even most of those there will actually be in the Demon and Devil sections in MToF), either we have a lot of stuff for "C" (while we know some clockwork stuff is going to be in there, it's probably not going to be dozens of pages worth!), or we're getting a heck of a lot of demons and devils (duergar will be after Moloch, and drow will be too, although they will probably be in the "E" section anyway like they were in the MM). Even the reprinted demon princes from OotA only take up 18 pages. Besides demons and devils, the only "theme" creatures that fit in that range would be derro, and I can't see them taking up more than a few pages. And of course, we'll still have other random creatures in that section as well. But still, that's a lot of page acreage to fill in such a small part of the alphabet! (And, we'll still have ~90 pages of monsters left for the post-Moloch section as well!)"

This is very good to hear. About half of the reason I continue to buy D&D books relates to keeping up to date on two metaplots: the Blood War and everything Illithids do.

And we're getting more daemons/yugoloths, so even more of that itch is being scratched.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
I am so stoked about this book. I've been hoping for 5E Starspawn since they weren't in the MM, and just as I was about to homebrew Marut for my current campaign, they're in the book about to be released. WotC must have read my mind.

On a recent podcast/twitch stream, Claudio Pozas said he did artwork for the dergholoth for MToF.

Nice! Looks like we're getting a pretty full slate of yugoloth updates.

Except for some reasons the baernaloth, if we go by the Fantasy Grounds preview. But could they be altering that to keep some secrets? The lack of "B" archdevils seems a bit odd, as is that CR 17 for the blue abashai. I'm not saying that they definitely played around with it, but there are some oddities about that preview...

E

Elderbrain

Dergholoth, Iron Cobra, Meazel, Duergar Soulblade, Xarrorn, Hammerer and Screamer added. I have labeled this the 2nd edit; if you see a higher number, new stuff has been added! Single monsters will be placed up front on the list, additions to group entries (i.e. Devils, Yugoloths, Duergar, etc.) will be added to their already-existing lists.

E

Elderbrain

Are we SURE there's only six chapters? I know only six are PICTURED in the Fantasy Grounds preview, but there was supposed to be a DM's guide to the Planes and a description of a "certain extraplanar city"... Maybe these are in a seventh chapter after the Bestiary... or have they been dropped to go in another book?
If there IS another chapter, the Bestiary might not be as long as people think... and the text in the Bestiary section pictured in the Fantasy Grounds preview says "over 100" new monsters, which fits better with 130+, not 200+...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Are we SURE there's only six chapters? I know only six are PICTURED in the Fantasy Grounds preview, but there was supposed to be a DM's guide to the Planes and a description of a "certain extraplanar city"... Maybe these are in a seventh chapter after the Bestiary... or have they been dropped to go in another book?
If there IS another chapter, the Bestiary might not be as long as people think... and the text in the Bestiary section pictured in the Fantasy Grounds preview says "over 100" new monsters, which fits better with 130+, not 200+...
We had speculated that there might be such a section, but it seems not to be related to anything mentioned so far. The Roll20 preview specifically says that there are over 230 new monsters for Roll20 purposes, which might be somewhat inflated by templates or something. Seems we are looking at a metric ton of monsters, over half of whom will be CR 10+, but who knows what surprises remain?

Remove ads