List of Scifi/fantasy riding and/or domesticated creatures

Thanee

First Post
There are also the Equs (Graymane, Silvermane, Snowmane, Darkmane), Mangonel Lizard, Dractyl, Strider, Land Lizard, Aht-Ra, Loper, Ontra and Ogriphant from Talislanta. Don't ask what they are. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Those fire steeds from Krull

The Elk from Princess Mononoke

This list is going to be huge, just from video games.

Are you looking for something in particular.

tecnowraith

First Post
I am looking for most popular and well used riding and/or domesticated creatures. Cause I know horses and Dragons are popular and well used so I am not to worried about them.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I think it is safe to say that a common enough idea is that of the very large flightless bird.

Dark Sun's Erdlu/Crodlu. The vintage video game, Joust (although it glided well). Nausica: Valley of the Wind had one as a mount.

Others mounts:

The Dark Crystal: Landstriders, kind of like a horse with 15-20 foot long legs.
Vampire Hunter D: Not so much a creature, but D rode a mechanical horse.
Avatar: The Last Airbender: Aang rides... well... a six legged something or other. Kind of a cross with a platapus and a bison.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
The Barsoomians (Martians) in Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series of novels rode multilegged horselike mounts called thoats and multilegged mammoths/mastodons called zitidars. (The zitidars may have just been draft animals, though - it's been awhile since I read the series.)

Johnathan

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Richards said:
The Barsoomians (Martians) in Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series of novels rode multilegged horselike mounts called thoats and multilegged mammoths/mastodons called zitidars. (The zitidars may have just been draft animals, though - it's been awhile since I read the series.)

Johnathan
To add to this Carson Naiper of Venus, if I remember, had giant flying insects and gaint turtes that had homes built on their backs. Have to go back and re-read them to be sure but sure they are in something.

Other animals:
ROC
Lizards
Metal/Special Horses (know of two: Zelzany and Knaak)
Polar Bears (well they are pulling a sleigh)
Moose - Heiro's Jouney

attachment.php

Last edited:

Remove ads