• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Listing of "popular" RPG systems?

Marcon

First Post
Just wondering if someone could point me to a list of all the "widely-played" RPG systems out there (Or those worth knowing about or even taking a look at even though they are not widespread). Wikipedia lists an awful lot, including dead games and very obscure ones. Some of them ring a bell but I could possibly skip a gem so I thought I would ask the community.

-Marcon

Last edited:

SWBaxter

First Post
Marcon said:
Just wondering if someone could point me to a list of all the "widely-played" RPG systems out there (Or those worth knowing or even taking a look at even though they are not widespread).

It kinda depends how you define "widely-played". The RPG market is very top-heavy, with a few games holding a huge amount of market share (most of them published by WOTC and White Wolf), and a lot of other games kinda hanging on to niches within niches. Among other things, this means that a game that's widely played in one area might get no play at all in another. Games "worth knowing" is an even murkier description.

Marcon

First Post
Specifically looking for something to play a Ravenloft Campaign with. D&D 3.5 is the obvious choice at first glance but just wondering if there are other viable options for a Gothic Horror Game. Less focus on combats, better character development, etc.

-Marcon

Bretbo

First Post
FATE (Spirit of the Century)
Ubiquity (Hollow Earth Expedition)
Dread (Jenja version)
Unisystem/Cinematic (Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel)

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
pawsplay said:
World of Darkness

I'll second this one. Grab a few supplements like Mysterious Locations, Second Sight, Ghost Stories, Asylum, and Urban Legends and you can have a great horror game.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Marcon said:
Specifically looking for something to play a Ravenloft Campaign with. D&D 3.5 is the obvious choice at first glance but just wondering if there are other viable options for a Gothic Horror Game. Less focus on combats, better character development, etc.

Call of Cthulhu certainly covers the ground setting-wise, but I would say fails in the character development arena compared to the other worthy suggestions in this thread.

Psion

Adventurer
Starman said:
I'll second this one. Grab a few supplements like Mysterious Locations, Second Sight, Ghost Stories, Asylum, and Urban Legends and you can have a great horror game.

I'll third it. Something I would have never done for old World of Darkness. nWoD seems much more an authentic horror game to me.

If you want something pulpier (like The Mummy), I'd recommend Spirit of the Century.

Remove ads