Little Changes with Big Flavor

WSmith

First Post
Which is my favorite? Are you kidding? What is this Sophie's Choice? ;)

Really there are so many ideas I just can't pick one out.

tsadkiel

Legend
Something I've always meant to try . . .

Replace the "natural" ecology of the world with a different ecology. Dinosaurs as natural beasts of burden would be interesting; Pleistocene megafauna might be even cooler. For a really strange world, perhaps the PC races are the only vertabrates on the campaign world (descended from a lost planetary colony, perhaps?) magically enlarged and shaped vermin fill the gaps; enormous centipedes serve as a public transportation device, children keep cat-sized beetles as pets, and knights mounted on giant ants clash in the shadow of colossal war spiders.

pensiv

Explorer
in a campaign world I made a long time ago, the "beasts of burden" were actually a sentient race. They had their own culture and society, but chose to serve humans as mounts and the burdened.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Something I've always meant to try . . .

Replace the "natural" ecology of the world with a different ecology. Dinosaurs as natural beasts of burden would be interesting; Pleistocene megafauna might be even cooler. For a really strange world, perhaps the PC races are the only vertabrates on the campaign world (descended from a lost planetary colony, perhaps?) magically enlarged and shaped vermin fill the gaps; enormous centipedes serve as a public transportation device, children keep cat-sized beetles as pets, and knights mounted on giant ants clash in the shadow of colossal war spiders.

Wonderful suggestion, tsadkiel, and a staple of pulp fantasy/sci-fi literature, from John Carter of Mars through Star Wars. The heroes don't just fight inhuman monsters, they find a land filled with eight-legged-lizard beasts of burden, flowers that can be milked, herds of nerfs (whatever a "nerf" might be), etc.

darklight

First Post
tsadkiel said:

Yeah, I once had a dream where the beasts of burden were horse-sized beetles. Unfortunately the beetles were hard to control, and very strong, so they could wreak a lot of havoc. Someone came up with a solution for this: He killed the beetle, and then implanted some sort of computer-like device in its nervesystem, replacing the brain. This way he could control the beetle, although it moved a little erratically and a bit slower. (I guess you could call it technological undead:cool: ) In my dream, the beetles somehow retained sentience after death, and eventually revolted, causing major mayhem :eek:

Funny, the things your brain can think up when you're sleeping:D

darklight

Remove ads