• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Little help with a few things please.

Bob5th

First Post
All 3.0 stuff here.

I know that weapons and armor have to have a +1 enhancement bonus before it can have any special abilities. I myself never liked this rule but is there any importance to it or is it just for balance?

Does the natural enhancement bonus that Adamantine give meet the requirement for the above mentioned rule?

Jeremy

Explorer
Partially to limit the number of enchantments on something, partially to keep things balanced, partially for the flavor of having vanilla +1 swords and then +1 flaming swords, and possibly to prevent confusion in 3.0 whether a magic sword of shocking burst would penetrate DR or if it had to be a magic sword +1 of shocking burst.

I always told my PC's it had to be at least +1 just to seal the magic of the enchantments.

Adamantine weapons must still be enchanted to at least +1 before you can start adding abilities.

Scion

First Post
If this werent the rules forum I would say how cool it is to have a psychic weapon without the +1 baseline. Effectively it'd be non-'magical' in the hands of a nonpsionic creature. Such a cool flavor ;)

But I wont mention it, shhh.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well, I also have never been especially fond of this rule, but I thought it was just to have some kind of higher minimum cost for special abilities. For example, if you want a Flaming sword, you actually need to have a +1 Flaming sword.

Mah, it doesn't bother me too much after all :) But it bothers me more that further increases of the enhancement bonus cost as much as the special enchantment. Since in 3.5 there is no more DR x/+y but only DR x/magic, I don't think it's worth to enchant a weapon with bonus higher than +1 when for the same price you can get a much better special ability on top.

Bob5th

First Post
Yeah but in 3.5 Sure Striking from Sword and Fist became totally useless. Which is not a bad thing since now that's another +1 you can work with.

maddman75

First Post
You mean people actually *allow* sure striking into their games? I thought it was one of those things everyone laughed at, like armor of speed or mercurial greatswords.

Gregor

First Post
Bob5th said:
Yeah but in 3.5 Sure Striking from Sword and Fist became totally useless. Which is not a bad thing since now that's another +1 you can work with.

I wouldent say "totally useless".

Sure Striking now has the ability to hit all alignments for the purposes of DR.....pretty handy actually imho.

Cheers,

Bob5th

First Post
yeah well in 3.0 to get by damage reduction of x/+5 you need a +1 sure striker and in 3.5 to get by x/magic you need a +1 weapon. Not sure striking isn't that bad.

Remove ads