• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Little Known Rules of D&D

Legildur

First Post
TYPO5478 said:
Right, so both of the checks have to beat the DC to make the jump. Whimsical's correct. Maybe he phrased it strangely, but he's not wrong.
No, you use only one CHECK, but using the lower modifier.

mvincent

Explorer
Dread Polack said:
Don't forget your synergy bonuses!
Well... technically "synergy bonuses" no longer exist in 3.5. They are now just "bonuses"... from synergy...

From the 3.5 FAQ:
"The bonuses listed in the synergy section of a skill
description are unnamed and so they stack. (There’s no such
thing as a synergy bonus in the current edition of the D&D
game.)"

cheshire_grin

First Post
Angerland said:
I think 16 hours is a little early for a fatigue check.
I'm assuming normal "adventuring" activity, i.e. marching/riding, some combat, exploring dungeons, etc.

College students don't have to check for at least 36 hours. ;)

Thurbane

First Post
Characters other than (some) spell casters don't need to sleep at all, since there are technically no rules to cover effects from lack of sleep, or how much sleep a character needs.

cheshire_grin

First Post
Thurbane said:
Characters other than (some) spell casters don't need to sleep at all, since there are technically no rules to cover effects from lack of sleep, or how much sleep a character needs.
Yes, which is why I said
cheshire_grin said:
As a DM I would probably rule that if you go more than 16 hours straight without sleep, you have to make a CON check (or a Fort save, perhaps), with a circumstance penalty of -1 for each hour thereafter, or become fatigued. I'm kind of surprised this isn't in the rules already, honestly.
In case it's not clear, I am referring to houseruling, not claiming that this is RAW.

Dread Polack

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
While this is arguably fine (though there are also arguments against it - while you are making an attack roll, you aren't actually attacking), note that you can't use Combat Expertise while Aiding Another.

-Hyp.

This is exactly the sort of thing, if my GM were to cry foul on, I wouldn't argue. You are correct, and the rules are pretty clear on the second part- Combat Expertise is only for the attack and full-round attack actions, not the "Aid Another" action.

Synergy Bonuses: There's one thing I missed in 3.5

Riding & Jumping: Looks to me like you make a single ride check with either bonus, but it's still a ride check, and you're making it, not your mount.

Dread Polack

Slaved

First Post
One that I was bit by recently, when you take a readied action your initiative changes to the initiative point where you took the readied action. To me that means that the ready action could eat up two of your turns at once, which I do not care for.

Dread Polack, why did you not get rank 5 in jump? That would give you a +2 bonus to your tumble checks! That has to be worth the extra skill point! :D

Recently a character in one of the games I am in used the ride skills quick mount and quick dismount in the same round. He quick dismounted, picked up a weapon, quick mounted, and then made his attack. It was very impressive.

mvincent

Explorer
Thurbane said:
From the WotC Help database (if desired):
"Sleeping in Dungeons and Dragons
If my character doesn't sleep, does he/she receive any penalties?

Answer
The rules are silent on not sleeping at all, but based on the penalties you receive from a night of uncomfortable rest (page 122 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook, under Sleeping with Armor Worn) a Dungeon Master could assume that not sleeping at all could have some pretty hefty penalties. One house rule could be that the person becomes exhausted after not sleeping an entire night. But of course, since there are no rules covering this situation, it is ultimately up to the Dungeon Master of your campaign to determine how he/she wants to handle a character who hasn't slept."

Slaved

First Post
mvincent said:
From the WotC Help database (if desired):
"Sleeping in Dungeons and Dragons
If my character doesn't sleep, does he/she receive any penalties?

Answer
The rules are silent on not sleeping at all, but based on the penalties you receive from a night of uncomfortable rest (page 122 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook, under Sleeping with Armor Worn) a Dungeon Master could assume that not sleeping at all could have some pretty hefty penalties. One house rule could be that the person becomes exhausted after not sleeping an entire night. But of course, since there are no rules covering this situation, it is ultimately up to the Dungeon Master of your campaign to determine how he/she wants to handle a character who hasn't slept."

Having gone days without sleep before I would say that this is a bit harsh. Also, the rules for marching and travel are a bit weird.

I would say that for each day of non-rest the character suffers a -1 penalty on all checks involving a d20. This penalty doubles for each additional day of non-rest and 8 hours of rest negates one day of non-rest. Days where the character was very active for more than 12 hours count as two days.

It does not simulate life to a very high degree but at least it has a somewhat correct feel to it.

As an example, our intrepid heroes are fighting for their lives and marching through the underdark for 2 days. They cannot rest for long without fear of their persuers from the last encounter and so at the end of the second day they each have a -8 to all of their d20 rolls. They must rest soon or else even a weak denizen of the dark will be able to end their heroic journey.

It also makes the conditions different between sleeping in armor and not sleeping. Fatigue has a variety of ways to be ignored or recovered from, this penalty does not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads