• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Little known treasures from the littler guys- a List

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I know a lot of people don't like psionics, but if you do (or even if you just so much as allow psionics in your group), I strongly recommend just about ANYTHING from Dreamscarred. Here's a link to a review that this very website did of their Untapped Potential book. I like my soulknives, so this and their Mind Blade Feats book is present at just about any of my games. Both are very cheap, too, so getting them won't break your budget.

Aus_Snow

First Post
  • Nature’s Wrath - A Guide to Poisonous Plants and Infectious Diseases (Bloodstone Press)
  • Book of Broken Dreams (Netherland Games)
  • Campaign Options - Mazes (Emerald Press)
  • Minor Magicks - Small-Scale Spells & Items (Silverthorne Games)
  • The Noble Wild - An Animal Player’s Handbook for d20/OGL Role-Playing Games (Skirmisher Publishing)

So obviously I like insane diseased mouse-persons running around in arcane mazes stocked with paltry items.

OK, not really.

Soel

First Post
I'll second Secrets of Pact Magic. It has an alternate binder (Tome of Magic) classes, but better ones, and loads of entities to bind. Fantastic production values as well. I never got to use any of it though, as I got it right before 4e came out. Dario was planning to put a version out for 4e, but the GSL mess halted that. I wonder now, with the new GSL out, if he will consider releasing this now...

I'll add 3 AM Games' Collection of Fantastic Weapons. Great book, with individually pictured and fluffed weapons categorized by type. There's 3 versions, (low, med and high level) versions of each weapon, and some new properties to boot. The fluff also contains bits of their never published indian subcontinent setting. Nice artwork as well.

One more, Metablades - Warriors of Mind and Magic. THE book for gishes! Lots of love for fighter/mages and psychic warriors. Its 3.5, but maybe closer in spirit to Tome of Battle/proto 4e design style. Its a pdf, but they used to have a print version on Lulu.

EN Publishing's Steam & Steel, and Tournaments, Fairs and Taverns.

Both great products (assuming EN Publishing is "littler" enough for this thread).

knihi

First Post
I'm wondering what great ogl material is out there that I might not have heard about. I know all the big publishers by now, but there are a bunch of little guys (some bigger than others) that I still may not know.

Here are (edit- three) of my own reccomendations:

1. Secrets of Pact Magic and Villains of Pact Magic by Dario Nardi. AWESOME stuff and two whole books that are very, very similar (but not identical) to the Binder from Tome of Magic.

2. The Adventures for the Great City Campaign Setting by 0one games. "The Bloody Fix" and "Pound of Flesh" are stellar city adventures.

edit: 3. The Gryphon's Legacy by Wolfgang Baur from Gaslight press. Another great adventure.

So what products do you all reccomend from the little guys?

Hey Aberzanzorax,
I'm glad you liked our Great City work. I'm very pleased with how "Bloody Fix" turned out. Getting lots of positive feedback, and Hitchcock's "Pound of Flesh" rocks. Anyhoo, I'm one of the authors so I'm biased, of course. Still, its good to hear you had fun. Apologies for the threadjack.
Later!

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Obscure ones?

Red Dragon Tavern Games: Tome of the Lost Realms Player's Handbook RPGNow.com - Red Dragon Tavern Games - Tome of the Lost Realms Players Handbook

It is a redo of the PH classes with d20 talent trees using D&D powers and generally bumped up to Pathfinder power levels. I like pathfinder but I much prefere monks and barbarians with talent tree choices instead of point pool mechanics.

I got the Campaign Setting before it was split into the PH and other books.

Pretty much anything by Octaviarate Games. RPGNow.com - Octavirate Games - - The leading source for indie RPGs Great art, fun monsters, neat themes. Their two gygaxian zany themed monster books (the Lethal Lexicons) have things like tiger-striped dragons and Bee-Holders, not to mention 1e MM style cross references such as "Good Clown, see Dead Clown".

I like the counters from IDA as well as their Loot for Less minor magic item series.

Inner Circle's Complete Book of Denizens is a great monster book RPGNow.com - Inner Circle - The Complete Book of Denizens 275 pages, full color, and 3.5. Currently for $3.75? Get it if you like 3.5 monster books.

Betabunny with both their Predator and Apes of Nature and Myth books: RPGNow.com - Betabunny Publishing - - The leading source for indie RPGs

And Creative Conclave for their common monster statblock books: RPGNow.com - Creative Conclave - - The leading source for indie RPGs

Remove ads