• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

littlejohn's fantasy art (Updated 6/12/03)

(contact)

Explorer
littlejohn said:
As it is, I think I need to broaden and polish my portfolio before I could make money painting much of anything.

You underestimate your portfolio. But you already know I think that.

(contact): As for subject matter; and I can't emphasize this enough: if it weren't for Piratecat, the defenders' players and other folks on this board and a couple of others, I wouldn't be painting, period. I owe all of my productivity to them. In my cold, coal-black heart I know my true strength is procrastination. :)

My point is, that whatever sparks your intent is secondary to what you do with your 'brush'. For you, the starting point is a kick-ass D&D story hour, but for someone else it might be cute little kids, or a car wreck.

In the end, it's just line, shape and color. Some people will always want to approach your painting from the standpoint of enjoying the representation or the narrative, but others (like some of the folks here) will appreciate your brushwork or the gestural quality of a pose. I am solidly in the latter category, but don't get me wrong-- I don't paint at all these days *except* for fantasy stuff. But I also feel like what I'm doing is the same thing that any painter, dealing with any subject is doing. I just do it a little more half-assed than most, and my portraits have stat-blocks to go along with them. :)

littlejohn

First Post
Watched The Messenger last night:

messenger.jpg

RangerWickett: You know I would. I'll mail you.

Knightfall1972: Thanks. I feel a lot better :)

Xarlen: Right now I'm just painting what moves me and trying to get some things published in 'zines and d20 supplements.

(contact): Yeah, I see your point. I guess with illustration it's kind of a balance.

(contact)

Explorer
littlejohn said:
contact): Yeah, I see your point. I guess with illustration it's kind of a balance.

Only as far as your client is concerned. :p

Illustrator is just a contrived title we give to artists who want to put their work into mass media.

Nice Joan of Arc! Done from memory?

KidCthulhu

First Post
(contact) said:
The subject matter, like in all painting, is merely a starting point-- unimportant to the point of being irrelevant.

(Ducks thrown dice from PC, Kid C and Sialia)

No throwing from me. I love the stuff lj's producing. The point is that he's an artist, acting on inspiration. If I want a character drawing, I'll use HeroMaster.

Just the fact that Nolin is inspirational makes me all giddy. Or it could be the chemical paint stripper I've been using on my woodwork...

Remove ads