• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Live near any fantasy-sounding places? List 'em here!

edbonny

Explorer
I love real-world places that have exotic/unique fantasy-sounding names. As a kid, Death Valley in California just sounded very cool to me. As a DnD player, it could be the name of a place in Baator. Please list those you know here:

In my neck of the woods, there are:

> Foul Rift, NJ - a town in northwest NJ
> Spitting Devil (Spuyten Duyvil in Dutch) - a dangerous waterway just off the Bronx shore
> Fair Haven, NJ - sounds like Tolkien's Gray Havens
> Ironbound section of Newark, NJ - sounds like a warforged neighborhood

Stormborn

Explorer
The main valley that contains Birmingham, AL is Shades Valley - the English version of its Creek name which is basically "Valley of the Shadows of Death" because its was believed to haunted (and likely is).

The mountain is Red Mountain, for all the iron ore found in it. Perfect for Dwarves.

Vestavia is named after the godess Vesta (one of the first settlers had a recreation of a shrine to Vesta on his property - now the site of a Baptist church)

At one time Birmingham itself was called "The Magic City" because of how quickly it grew.

Did I mention the giant statue of Vulcan that overlooks the city?

I went to elementry school in Greenwood and grew up on Sparks Gap in Eastern Valley.

EDIT: Hey! Not counting the ones lost in the great purge, this is post 1500 for me! I would be approaching 1750 at least otherwise.

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
Stormborn said:
The main valley that contains Birmingham, AL is Shades Valley - the English version of its Creek name which is basically "Valley of the Shadows of Death" because its was believed to haunted (and likely is).

And don't forget our neighboring city to the south, Tuscaloosa, whose nickname is "The Druid City."

Snapdragyn

Explorer
San Francisco has plenty:

The Golden Gate (the straits between the Pacific Ocean & San Francisco Bay), & the bridge which crosses it

Treasure Island

the Palace of the Legion of Honor (I've always wanted to run an alt history campaign set in The City, with this as the base for the royal guard).

the Palace of Fine Arts (we need a lot of palaces for all of us um... royalty ;) )

Land's End

the Vulcan Steps

Diamond Heights

plus a few from the Bay Area:

the Sunol Water Temple

Angel Island

Mount Diablo

Greg K

Legend
I try to keep an eye out for streets and cities near where I live that make good names. Off of the top of my head, I recall the following:
Astoria (St.)
Atwater
Wilshire (Blvd.)
Devonshire (Blvd.)
Woodland (Hills)
Lakeview (Terrace)
Westfield (Mall)
Northridge
Riverside

Others not near me
New Haven

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Even since Peter Jackson Mount Doom is in my backyard:)
Anyway I live in the Taupo Volcanic Zone which had many geothermal features including
Fairy Springs
Hellsgate
Craters of the Moon
Diamond Geyser

Other Places
Devils Punch bowl is a waterfall in the Southern Alps of New Zealand and near Dragons Cave is a limestone cave near Greymouth, NZ (actually it was Ruataniwha, Dragons Cave is the english translation sold to tourist:))

Then off course there's
Rainbows End (in Auckland and New Zealands only real Amusment Park)

Last edited:

Aloïsius

First Post
Le Pont du diable (the devil's bridge)
La grotte des demoiselles (the fey's cave)
Le col de l'homme mort (the dead man pass)
Mars (a nearby village)

And of course, there are nearby places like "the Gevaudan" or "Tarascon*" that are fantasy-like because of their well known history (think about Loch Ness in Scotland).

* I don't remember if the feast about the tarasque still happen in this town.

edit : of course it still exists :
histoire_chevalier.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads