• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Greyhawk help

Arcanus

First Post
Is there a place (website??) that you can go to and get information on joining or making a character for Living Greyhawk games?

I am going to a convention of sorts and some friends of mine said that they have a Living Greyhawk game table there that you role up characters and can play a game.

Last year they did it and got certificates for magic items that they accrued during game play. They said they needed to keep them to prove that their characters had them officially. So I guess if they try and play the same characters again they can use their magic items in other gaming groups ?????

Anyway I was wondering what is Living Greyhawk exactly?
Can I go somewhere and pre-generate a character?
Can you play by e-mail?
HOW exactly do you play by e-mail anyway?
Know of any PBEMs?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Two good resources for you and then my explanations:

The Northern California LG website--description
http://www.theocracyofthepale.com/

PDF downloads of character creation and campaign specific rules
http://www.theocracyofthepale.com/downloads/

Living Greyhawk is an RPGA sponsored shared campaign. That means that it consists of a variety of modules that can be played once/player. You keep records of your play and experience/gold gained and items bought/found on sheets called adventure certificates. This enables you to take your character to an LG game anywhere in the world (as long as you can find an LG game) and play them with their current experience, levels, magic and mundane items.

The real world is divided into regions which correspond to the various regions of Greyhawk--for instance, Northern California is the Theocracy of the Pale and the Pacific Northwest is the Duchy of Urnst. You can play regional and core modules. Regional modules are set in your region and can only be played there. Core modules are set in Greyhawk, the lands of Iuz, the Bright Desert, or other areas not doled out to a real world region and are played by everyone in the campaign across the world.

As to characters, they're created using the DMG point buy system and 28 points. This gives reasonably powerful characters but if you're used to multiple 18's, you won't get them with this method. Since the math is easy to verify, you can create your character at home and don't need to go anywhere special to create them. You'll find all this information in the character creation rules.

The RUP 3 on the Pale Website downloads explains in more detail how to fill out adventure certs but is somewhat out of date. I'd ask one of the other players or the DM for help filling it out after your first game.

As to the PBEM versions of it, I've never tried them. I imagine that it's conducted via instant messenger with some kind of online dice generator but I steer clear of that kind of thing myself.

Good luck.

Arcanus

First Post
Okay I am either stupid or there is actually a problem.

I have been to the RPGA site and can't seem to find out how to JOIN the RPGA!

There doesn't seem to be a link to click on or a little button to push.

How the hell do I join?
I live in the midwest, and want to join and play Living Greyhawk or Living City. How the heck do I do this?
Its supposed to be free right?

What am I doing wrong?

Theuderic said:
It's not free it costs 20 dollars a year I believe.
No, it's free now. It used to cost $5/year. And before that, there was a higher membership level that was $30/year. But they're both gone now. All free.

Once you join, you're a lifetime member.

But you have to pass a test if you want to order modules and run them at a home gameday. But, just to play (at home gamedays, cons, etc.), there is no test required.

Taren Seeker

First Post
There is a bit of a problem signing up for the RPGA since they went free. There is no online method right now. However, all RPGA members have been mailed blank membership cards so that they can sign up other people. Also, the con you're going to will probably have a membership card for you.

Otherwise, you can email rpgahq@wizards.com and pray for a response.

As for Living City, they're run by Ryan Dancey's Organized Play at www.livingcity.organizedplay.com

You can go there and register. LC is not free, but you do need an RPGA # as well. Also, LC only requires you to have a paid membership if you go past 1st level with your PC, so you do get a free trial period.

Last edited:

qstor

Adventurer
Acranus - E-mail RPGA HQ and ask for a number.

There are character creation rules and a PC sheet at livinggreyhawk.com the link that Dragongirl gave you.

Since you're in Iowa your local "region" is Dyvers. There's their webpage.

http://dyvers.oerth.com/

Mike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads