• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Supers - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicsFate

First Post
Salix said:
Being a lazy bastard

Lol, thanks

Velmont said:
Ok, I've read again teh Fade power, I had teh 1st edition in mind, where you lose 1 Rank per level. But in second edition, it is 1 Power Point, which is less.

Ow, I'm glad it's not first edition. At a rank per level I'd be useless no time flat.

Him it seems I made the character and put it... some where, I'll post if for thr judges(just have to find it first)

VioletSamurai

First Post
Among the rules issues I'm trying to iron out with my character is summed up in this thread at the Atomic Think Tank.

An official reply from Kenson will take forever (I posted in the Official forum just in case), so in the mean time, I'm wondering what the moderators think on this matter.

Salix

First Post
VioletSamurai said:
Among the rules issues I'm trying to iron out with my character is summed up in this thread at the Atomic Think Tank.

An official reply from Kenson will take forever (I posted in the Official forum just in case), so in the mean time, I'm wondering what the moderators think on this matter.

I've had Kenson reply within a few days before. That said my first gut reaction is to agree with what you wrote below, but that the speed of your flight should still be encumbered by weight (ie light normal, medium/heavy 2/3, max 5 ft step). i should probably read a little more closely though. What do the numbers look like when you go that route versus straight TK with the thrown distances? What do the other judges think?

VS from ATT said:
Actually, upon reflection, I think that simply giving TK the Tethered feat is not only the least complex solution, but also the least abusable.

Create Object allows you to create objects that fill up a certain volume based on power rank, in the same way that TK has a range and/or area based on power rank.

Created Objects can support weight as if they had an effective Strength equal to (power rank)x5. TK gives you effective Strength at range equal to (power rank)x5.

Created Objects can be formed in such a way as to be hollow and fully-surround a given target (animate or inanimate). It could be inferred that, if you encased a target with your Created Object, then dragged it along with a Tether as you moved, that the hollow object could only be moved if its effective Strength could support the target being encased. Otherwise, the Created Object would break open and spill the target out when you dragged it.

So if I'm reading the rules correctly, a transparent (Subtle), Selectively-permeable, Tethered Created Object can easily mimic most standard TK effects, by "trapping" inanimate objects and moving the traps around. And all the while, the "trap" would act as an effective Force Field for everything inside it, since it has Toughness equal to the power rank.

It sounds to me like just tacking Tethered onto Telekinesis would be less mechanically cumbersome and less cheesy.

Damion

First Post
Couldn't you just use the TK to reduce the effective weight of the object, and then move it normally with your flight? (I.e. you pick it up and carry it. ) Technically, this would reduce your acceleration, but that may be to small to worry about.

VioletSamurai

First Post
Salix said:
I've had Kenson reply within a few days before. That said my first gut reaction is to agree with what you wrote below, but that the speed of your flight should still be encumbered by weight (ie light normal, medium/heavy 2/3, max 5 ft step).

That makes perfect sense.

Salix said:
i should probably read a little more closely though. What do the numbers look like when you go that route versus straight TK with the thrown distances? What do the other judges think?

They're not even close.

Say I've got TK 12 (Str 60) and Flight 6 (500mph).
If I can just "pick up" the object and go, I can fly at full speed while carrying anything up to 16 tons.

If I'm just using TK 12 to push something around, I can move a 50 ton object 5 feet per round, a 25 ton object 10 ft/rd, a 12 ton object 25 ft/rd, a 6 ton object 50 ft/rd, a 3 ton object 100 ft/rd, a 1.5 ton object 250 ft/rd, and so on.

The reason I wasn't taking any points in Drive or Pilot was because I pictured a classic scene from X-Factor, where Polaris "flies" their jet by just telekinetically lifting it and dragging it with her as she flies (they were trying to avoid detection and couldn't afford to have the engines hot). Standard TK rates wouldn't even come close to this.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to find a way to stand still and make objects move faster with my mind. I'm just trying to figure out how to mentally pick up heavy objects and hold them stationary, as if I was holding them in my hand, while I move "normally" with a separately-purchased movement power. Create Object and Snare both include a feat called "Tethered" that allows for this, but Move Object doesn't mention it. Hence, the debate.

Damion said:
Couldn't you just use the TK to reduce the effective weight of the object, and then move it normally with your flight? (I.e. you pick it up and carry it. ) Technically, this would reduce your acceleration, but that may be to small to worry about.

"I pick it up and carry it" is precisely the effect I'm trying to construct. There is some debate on whether or not plain old Move Object as it is written allows for this. The effect description specifically states that there is no action/reaction in terms of the user being dragged by the object they are moving. It says nothing about the user not being able to grab hold of the object mentally and move while holding it, but some argue that it is implied.

As I stated in the post Salix quoted above, I could create precisely this effect with a Create Object AP, and once I Limited it to creating a field of "magnetic force" that only affected metal objects (in terms of supporting them, trapping them, or blocking them), it would actually be substantially cheaper than standard "Magnetic Control" (Move Object, Limited to Metal), while still being able to duplicate most (if not all) of its effects. That route, however, while perfectly legal in the "rules-as-written" sense, is (in my eyes) as unnecessarily convoluted as it is cheesy, and I'd rather avoid it if I can.

VioletSamurai

First Post
Here's another character creation question, while i'm at it:

Money.

Is there any point at all in giving a character Benefit: Wealth, or is it assumed that the nations sponsoring this task force put up the money for anything we need? Do the Resolutes have a "slush fund?" Are you guys even using the Wealth Bonus system at all?

Velmont

First Post
Nothing have been define yet for welath.

I think there can be some advantage. The Resolute could restrict your access to some things or ressrouces, but having Benefit(Wealth) could allow you to have access to them just by spending your money. Just like I have a character that have Benefit (Security Clearance). As you can guess, teh average Resolute have alreday an high Security clearance, so what the point? Just to allow to access to sligthly better (like a military satellite for an operation, just don't do that against an opponent that disable all your technology :p ).

In other words, sure, there will be some point, but I think there would be a lot less than in other kind of campaign.

Salix

First Post
I still like adding tether directly to TK. I don't do character approval though. Velmont, Bront, H4H what are you guys thinking?

Velmont

First Post
I don't like much the idea. If your Telekinesis power allow you to slowly lift and move an object, I don't see why it could move faster just because you are moving.

But if you want to carry an object in your hand while flying, that can be done with Flight and Super-Strength. So, just put Super-Strength as an alternate power of your Telekinesis, and you get what you want. No need of new powers. Just give a nicely looking explanation to this and you can easily convince Bront or H4H I think.

Damion

First Post
VioletSamurai said:
"I pick it up and carry it" is precisely the effect I'm trying to construct. There is some debate on whether or not plain old Move Object as it is written allows for this. The effect description specifically states that there is no action/reaction in terms of the user being dragged by the object they are moving. It says nothing about the user not being able to grab hold of the object mentally and move while holding it, but some argue that it is implied.

:Shakes head: Wow.

If your just trying to carry stuff, I don't see a problem. You can cancel out it's mass with your strength, and then just fly normally. (Like I said, technically, your acceleration would be lower due to the extra mass...but that is WAY to complicated).

That being said, arguably, you could use progression to increase the speed you can move objects at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads