Lizard Bait Updated 10/27/06

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Greetings all, I am a bit new to the story hour, but I have told a few that I would throw my hat into the arena and see how others liked what I had to write about.

A bit of background for this story, I had went to see Margaret Weis in Lake Geneva a few years ago to have her sign my hard cover collection of Weis and Hickman books. She was very grateful that a dedicated reader would travel so far just have her signature. I got her e-mail address and we write each other from time to time, just to stay in touch, and it was in one of these e-mails that I asked her if she would view one of my stories, to which she said, “no“. :(
Her lawyers have forbidden her from doing such things, however, she was in the final stages of accepting proposals for a new anthology based in DragonLance. Even though the final selection date was less than one week away, she suggested that I send her a short story, set in the world of Krynn, and if she liked it, she would use it. This also got around the whole lawyer thing.:D

Of course I was honored, so I set out to find a plot, and plot I came up with. She gave me good feed back, said I had good characterization and a vivid imagination, but that I lacked the ability to keep the story within the confines of the space allowed. She could tell that the story had more to it and that by limiting it to a short story I was not doing the story justice, so she declined the story, stating that not everyone can write a short story, some people are better at longer tales, which I took as a compliment.;)

Anyway, I started to write down the beginnings of the story, but have never found the spare time to finish it, but I think I can now, at least I had better give it a try, as I am expecting my son to be born any month now and every one tells me I will have no time to do such things once he comes into my world. :heh:

I will share with you the first part of the first of three stories that tie into each other. If I get good response from them, I will continue until I get to the story that I submitted to Margaret Weis. I am always a bit shy about sharing my stories with others; so while I would love positive feed back and constructive criticism, please keep all negative comments to yourself. :p

The final story is very well polished, but you may find errors in the first two stories. I will try to keep them as polished as possible, but I keep multiple copies of each story in different stages of development, so I may accidentally copy and paste a bad file, sorry if I do so.:heh:

Well, I can’t keep yapping about nothing, here goes.
The stories are broken down into three tales, they are named Lizard bait, Death Throws and To Slay my Slayer, I hope you enjoy.

Lizard Bait

(part 1)

By

C.E.Rocco

In the depths of the swampy jungles of Xak Tsaroth one cloaked man walked with purpose down the spongy road that cut its way through the dense overgrowth of the surrounding marsh. Vegetation had long ago over run much of the road, making it little more than a hunter’s path. The soft rustle of his robes could barely be heard over the symphony of the swamp. Insects of all kinds made eerie chatterings, a strangely soothing music of the natural order. Splashes of water announced the presence of different types of water animals and birds of all sorts chimed in to add harmony to the rhythm of the pounding rain.

A strange and unfamiliar call disturbed the symphony and an unearthly calm settled on the Spongy bog. No insects chirped, no animals disturbed the wake of the water and no birds sang a song of any sort. A second call, in a lower key, but with the same tone, echoed off of the thick Ironclaw trees. A higher pitched note chimed in response a few minutes later and as the man moved down the overrun road the calls became more frequent, creating a new symphony, but unlike the other, this one was marked with an eeriness that chilled one to the bone; and as suddenly as it started it stopped.

The robed man stopped at the eerie silence and faced off on the road with another robed man.

“Stand fasst and pressent yourself, “ hissed Blith, the Baaz draconian. He held forth his spear, butt to the ground, in an open challenge to smite his authority. He stood with purpose and with faith, for he stood not alone. He knew others were about and he knew he was safe. From the spear, his Brass tinted, scaly hide disappeared in the shrouds of a large volumous black cloak, concealing his body within its shadows.

This cloak was a throw back from the last days of the War of the Lance when Baaz draconians were used as advanced scouts to the invading parties of the Dragon Armies. The Highlords would send them into human lands as spies, since they are the smallest of the Draconians; they were able to hide their wings within the folds of their cloaks. After the War of the Lance, the Baaz maintained the use of the cloak as tradition, distinguishing them from their brethren.

The figure on the road was dressed in a similar cloak, covering him from head to toe in deepest black, with his head engulfed in darkness. Nothing penetrated its dark depths; it was a shadow within a shadow. The cloaked man stood silent in the night, the wind whipping at his robes.

Blith strained his eyes through the driving rain and ignored the chill that it sent through his body. The two faced off in the dead of the night, each not moving, each not talking to the other.

“Stand and deliver,” shouted Blith once again. He made no other move since the robed man did nothing as well. Deep in the swamps of Xak Tsaroth the heavy overgrowth blocked out what little light that shed through the large ominous trees. The exposed roots of the Ironclaw trees drank from the murky depths of the surrounding swamp water and thick pools of mud. Vines creped onto every rock, tree and ruined pillar in the jungle like setting, the vines, for lack of other places to grow, snaked from one tree to another, making of the swamp’s sky a spider web of vegetation.

This was a scene of silence.

“Last chance, bear your arms and make full your intent,” shouted Blith.

The shadowed man made no move or gesture. He stood in silence, in direct defiance of the draconians authority. Neither spoke after that, nor did either make a move. The cloaked man made no gesture to advance, so Blith simply stood his ground, for he knew he had no need to move.

They emerged from nature like a tornado from the clouds, swift and undetected. The bronze and copper hues of the Bozak and Kapak made the appearance of bronze and copper crocodiles appearing from the murky waters on either side of the road. Like giant snakes they emerged from the deep, to crawl on the land in silence, daggers and short swords drawn and at the ready. The soft rustle of willow weed was the only indication that other Baaz draconians had made their presence know from behind the cloaked man while silver streaks in the sky beheld the arrival of three Sivak draconians. They circled their prey in wide, sweeping patterns. in such a way that the heavy overgrowth of the swamp seldom let the cloaked man from their piercing sight. Yet far enough from each other that they need not fear from flying into each other or spells that could take down many in an enclosed area of affect. Always they had their bows drawn and as their comrades advanced, they each let loose a volley of arrows, pricking the ground at the robed man’s feet.

“Make no move, whether in friendship or strife,” came from a voice behind him. “You are not recognized by us as either friend or foe, if you wish to become the former then by all means keep your tongue idle. Speak swiftly and with purpose, for you have been asked thrice and now a fourth, you shall not be asked again.”

“Impressive,” was the hollow reply. The voice was empty and deep, as from a man speaking in a cave, and it pierced all who heard it to the very core of their soul. The robed figure made no motion for a weapon but did grab ends of his sweeping cloak and turned slightly from left to right, ignoring the voice from behind. “ I must say that I did not hear the ripple of water from the swampy pond to either side. Also, I did not expect that such an avenue would be used as an ambush. No doubt the Kapak blades are envenomed and the Bozak’s have spells slipping from their lips, bravo”.

The Kapak and Bozak draconians to either side of the cloaked man stood their ground and as the stranger advanced he would stop just short of the area of threat where a draconian would consider attacking. The cloaked man turned his head from side to side and up and down, as if examining a statue in a museum and taking mental notes of the exhibit, but always he respected the space of the draconians and this fearlessness combined with a healthy respect seemed to unnerve the Dragonmen to the core.

“An attack from above is not all together unexpected, but I am impressed that creatures of such bulk could maneuver in such a confined space. Ah, there now, I see something else that was not there before, three, no four more hide in trees, but not with bows like their brethren, rather with their trademark saw-tooth two handed swords. No doubt ready to glide from the advantage of higher ground and charge their jagged blades into my hide. Ah, again, I am impressed.”

Krothan stood dumbfounded by this fool. In any other situation he would have been in complete control, but this simple robed man had made him question himself and worst of all this man had made him hesitate, the kiss of death for a soldier. Whether this man had the sheer confidence in his skills to defeat such a large company of Draconians, or he was a retard who somehow managed to survive the dangers of the swamp by sheer luck, he cared not. This had to end and end now.

“You have a lot to say, but little of importance,” slide the words from his tounge as his blade came dangerously close to the robed man’s throat, “your next words had better be good and to the point, for they will determine your life,” again threatened the voice from behind. Envenomed weapons raised and ready to strike a final blow, the Draconians felt secure that this mans ratings would soon falter.

“So impersonal you are, I would know your name before I reveal more. Fear not, I shall answer your questions, I simply wish to know the name of those that I address.”

“You have earned no such right with me or my kin, but I will oblige you, if it will speed your tongue to more useful information. I am Krothan, leader of this band of draconians and captain of the lands of Xak Tsaroth. You are not here by invitation or need, so now speak swiftly to the living or your next words will be to the dead.”

“Well met Krothan, and where did you come from dragon man,” casually came the reply as the robed man turned to face his addresser. “I did neither see you upon the road, nor in the trenches or faro ways, so where then did you spring from.” The robed man did not look upon the host of draconians that had sneaked up behind him as much as he analyzed them as a general would a battle tactic.

Krothan was not the only draconian to have reached his wits end with this fool as others from behind him made their ways from the ranks behind him so as to start an attack.

“Stand down to you dragon man, do you not know your master when you see him?” With that the man unrobed his head and drew back his cloak to reveal the glistening red scales of dragon hide fitted together with locking plates of finely forged steel and a wicked horned helm that covered his face, further concealing his identity. “I am Dragon Highlord Nethera and I come to you on behalf of our Queen.”

The draconians stood their ground and held fast their weapons. Not since the days of the War of the Lance had a Dragon Highlord been in power let alone seen. This perplexed the host of Dragonmen.

“Our Queen is gone from this world, banished in the ending of the Chaos Wars she was, saved her children she did, they are lies that you speak.”

“I never lie honorable dragon man, neither in practice nor in jest. She yet lives and is here, in this world, but come now, my road was long and weary and I still have much to do. Let us continue this conversation once purging appetites are satisfied and the dusty road has been washed from my mouth.” The draconians marveled in wonder as a door of light emerged from the darkness behind the self proclaimed Highlord. “Look for me in the ruined temple of the accursed Mishakal and let us finish our conversation there.” With that the door of light that had ripped a hole in time and space moved forward to engulf the Highlord in its blinding light and then it was gone. Only the confused Draconians where left on the spongy road, left behind in wonder and confusion.

Last edited:

Hey Rocco,

First of all, I like your writing style, you have some really good descriptions. Paragraph chunks based on senses are great, the first "sounds" bit was the best section.

So this is a personal story, rather than an adventure account?

To be honest, I thought the dialogue was a little clunky - but I think that is just me. Maybe try to break it up a little with questions and character actions? I don't know.

Very promising though. Awaiting the next story...

So... tell us more about Margaret.

Yours as always,

Spider

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Spider,

The dialogue is intentionally a bit clunky for this first part. The verbal characterization gets more in-depth as it goes on, I didn't want to take away from the non verbal elements of this portion of the story with lengthy dialogue. Of course, some would just say that I am using that as an excuse, to each his own. I am, however, a sucker for the style in which they are talking, kind of an old english, King Arthur mix.

This is just a personal story, a prequel if you will to the short story that I wrote for Margaret Weis. I have tons of stories I could share about adventures, but everyone is doing that and this is one of those, 'story burning a hole in my head,' kind of things. Ya know, something that you just feel like you have to finish but never get around to it because who will ever read it.

As far as Margaret Weis goes, what would you like to know. I won't pretend like we are the best of friends, but we have met up twice now and I e-mail her on occasion. She is a very kind and gracious person, very humble and kind.

Twice she has taken time out of her busy schedule to meet with me to sign books, once I took her out to dinner and the second time we just had coffee and a few hours of conversation. A hint to anyone who might try doing the same thing, don't bring your non fantasy reading wife with you, she will just end up telling her that her hair looks great and ask her, for lack of a better word, stupid questions about whether she ever got mobbed in public. :heh: True story. :eek:

DM-Rocco

Explorer
The Pity Pits

Well, I was going to try and do a every Sunday type update, but with only one reply out of 38 hits, I figure that either people are not enjoying it, or I need to stir the pot a bit and come in early with more. So, please don't be shy, if you like it, please say so, it will encourage me to not only continue, but to do so faster.​

Lizard Bait

(Part 2: The Pity Pits)

By

C.E.Rocco

In the confines of the draconians huts their was much confusion and continued conversation that had begun on the cold wet road. The appearance of a Dragon Highlord, whether real or false, was the most important tidbit of news that had made its way into the deep black swamp of Xak Tsaroth since the ending of the Chaos Wars and the departure of the Gods. It was unnerving how the appearance of one man had put the well-disciplined encampment into turmoil.

Only a small brigade returned to the main encampment, most followed Krothan into the pity pits where, the large yet agile, draconians struggled for footing upon the always crowded and unaware gully dwarves that inhabited this small plot of land. Years ago, when the Hero’s of the Lance had made their way into Xak Tsaroth to retrieve the Disk’s of Mishakal, they did more than retrieve knowledge of the ancient Gods, they destroyed a city. Granted the city was in disrepair since the days following the Cataclysm, when the wrath of the Gods had split the earth and slid the city into the depths of the swamp, but by using the power of the Gods to slay the sinister black Dragon Khisanth, more commonly known as Onyx, the Hero’s caused whatever force that held the New Sea at bay to fill into the cavern that housed the doomed city, forever destroying the remains in a watery grave.

In the days following the sinking of the city, Krothan had ascended as the new leader of what few draconians that had managed to survive. He led his men to Neraka and served faithfully under the Dragon Highlords for the remainder of the war. Following the ending of the War of the Lance he lead those draconians that had survived into the swamp as other places of safety were few and far between under the watchful eyes of the Solamnic Knights.

Upon his return he found a colony of another race that had also survived in some numbers, the gully dwarves. While not known for their quick wit, or for that matter any wit, they had managed to build, more or less, mostly less, modest homes and attempts at gardens. The first reaction of Krothan was death, death to all other races that weren’t of dragon blood. He ordered all of the gully dwarves rounded up and thrown into one encampment where he intended to have a little fun and sport with the pathetic lives of these little retched creatures before he carried out his master plan.

He had killed several before he had stopped.

There was something missing. There was no satisfaction. When a person died their was a moment in their eyes when they knew they were never going to see their loved ones again, never going to walk as a free man, never going to do any of the things that others take for granted and there was nothing that they could do about it now, so alone and helpless at the business end of a sword. This was the power that was so captivating, so rewarding about slaying others, the power of life and death. The most rewarding feeling in the world and it was stripped from Krothan by the stupidity of a race of dwarves to dumb to know that they were about to die.

In a move, uncharacteristic of a draconian, Krothan ordered the area sealed and labeled it the pity pits. It was here that the gully dwarves thrived, for the most part, and as the years passed Krothan made use of the dwarves as slave labor. Of course, this was harder than he remembered when they had used the gully dwarves as slaves before the War of the Lance. Few of the gully dwarves who survived the destruction of the city knew how to count past two and none remembered any of the chores that had been assigned to them before the war. It took several patient years to teach them to do the tasks that needed to be done and in the end the draconians still did most of the complicated ones themselves.

Krothan and his men passed through the pity pits, some running, most leaping and gliding, taking advantage of their long leathery wings. Some of the gully dwarves scrambled out of the way while others ran straight for the approaching draconian swarm, thinking that it was some sort of game, while a few remained still, playing in the mud or making mud pies for dinner.

Krothan ordered the draconians to stop at the far edge of the pity pits, where they could barley make out the outline of the ruined temple of Mishakal through the canopy of thick vines that hung from the Iron claw trees.

“I do not trust this man, none of the other Highlords had such power, save Lord Ariakus, and that was granted to him by our Queen,” said Hammel in his sly and cool voice. He landed next to Krothan and immediately gully dwarves beseeched him. Four came to him and pulled on his wings while a fifth used a dirty rag to clean his scaly tail.

The only reason for the draconians to ever come into the pity pits was to find a slave that forgot to show up for duty or to have their wings massaged, one of the few tasks that the putrid dwarves actually did well. Since it wasn’t later than two hours past noon, since he couldn’t count higher than two, Dope, the King of the gully dwarves assumed that the draconians had come to have their wings attended to. Dope forgot his real name when he was named Dope. Krothan detested the use of any reference to high or better when it came to the gully dwarves and replaced the title of HighBulp, the former name they gave to their king, with that of Dope. Besides, the Highbulp could count to three and Dope could not.

“You no worry scale man,” said Dope as he scratched his lice filled head with one dirty little hand, “me rub your wing for you, me rub it good.”

“Dope, you and your men are relieved of duty for the night,” Krothan replied in a calm and controlled voice. “Jist, I want you to take your men and circle the temple from the east, Hammel, take the secret entrance from the west and close in from behind, Branik, take your men and fly to the top most windows and prepare to strike from above and Hilth, prepare a company of Bozak to sneak in ahead of us under the cover of invisibility. I too do not trust this man. Now- what the- Dope, I told you, you were relieved.”

“You no worry, me almost done,” said dope as he happily spit on the foot of Krothan and continued to polish the scales with a dirty rag. It wasn’t until this moment that Krothan understood his mistake, he used words with more than one syllable.

“You work no more, we leave now,” said Krothan and this seemed to work as the hoard of gully dwarves immediately backed of off the draconians and some even return to the main portion of the pity pits. “Now, does any body have any questions?”

He looked around the gathering and none spoke, yet from below a small hand shot into the air.

“What is questions?” asked Dope, forgetting that he was not suppose to talk unless talked to. Krothan and his fellow draconians moved, with out a reply, leaving Dope to figure it out on his own.

Last edited:

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Lizard Bait (Part 3: Filthy Scum)

Lizard Bait

(Part 3: Filthy Scum)

By

C.E.Rocco

“Who she be,” said E, his small filthy hands clutching a dead lizard in one hand and a small branch in the other that he used to hold back a mass of thick vines.
“Me not know,” replied Filth as she bumped Scum in the ribs to get a better look. Scum did not talk all that much, in fact, he never said more than a few words in his entire life that the others could remember. Most of the Dragon men never thought much of it, but in the Gully Dwarf circles, it was considered rude to not speak when spoken to. Some say it was because of the fact that he saw his father murdered from a young age and the trauma was too much for him to handle, some just say it is because it is the fact that he is a gully dwarf, but most who know of such matters suggest a different reason, it was his name.

Gully Dwarfs are not the brightest race of creatures on Krynn, but they take pride in their names. Scum was not his birth name, as most would have you believe, it was a name that the Draconians had given him as part of their round up effort. Krothan had named these three unwittingly one day when he called one of them filthy scum. Gully dwarfs, not to proficient in the use of words with more than one syllable, came to the conclusion that Krothan was naming them. What’s more, they had thought that Filthy Scum was the new names of the three, one of them Filth, the other E and the last Scum. Scum had never spoken after that, whether because he was a mute, as the Draconians had suspected, or because he understood, more than any of the others, what the Draconians had done by naming them. By naming them, the draconian had done two things. First, they removed their connection to the past and second, they dehumanized them to nothing so much as a word, most hurt full, they had chosen words that did not reflect well on others.

All of the Draconians had thought him a mute, and a dumb mute at that, all except Krothan. Krothan had spent days watching the dwarf he had inadvertently named Scum, as he went about his chores. Unlike most of his kin, Scum was what most would consider normal, but amongst Gully Dwarfs, he showed a promise that the others did not. It did not take him five threats and ten explanations to understand that Draconians do not eat mud, he understood when told once. The other Draconians thought this a result of their supreme intimidation tactics, but Krothan had always thought of another conclusion, Scum could count past two.

He had heard from the other Gully Dwarfs that Scum had been a most talkative type before the Draconian occupation, but ever since he had been named, he had remain silent. Most thought out of fear, some out of trauma, but Krothan thought more likely out of shame.

E and Filth stared out from behind the tree, their short fat greasy fingers making a hole in the curtain of vines. In the distance they saw her striding down a path, towards the village. The village was still several miles away, but she headed that way none the less, as if She knew where it was. She stopped for a moment and held Her hand to Her heart and closed her eyes for a moment.

“She talk to self,” said E and Scum peeked his head from behind the two to get a better look. She had long lean features that made the Dwarfs seem that much smaller and squat by comparison. Long golden strands of thick locks of hair were masterfully braided in thick rope-like strands that flowed freely down her chest, past her lithe waist. Two tiny pointed ears and her framed face were all that could be seen through her head of hair. Her skin was soft and when the moonlight hit it just right, it glistened with a slightly silver sheen, or perhaps it was just an illusion, as the woman was, for why would such a creature of beauty be walking through such place of filth. In deed, her soft elegant features and graceful limbs were a stark contrast to the thick Iron Claw trees, jagged rocks and slime covered vines.

She paused speaking to herself for a moment as if she had heard something in the distance, and then, whether thinking better of an idea or just determined to not spend any further time in the confines of the swamp then she needed to, the woman continued down the game trail.

She moved with a swift stride that the three Gully Dwarfs found hard to keep pace with. Were it not for the fact that they knew every inch of the swamp like the back of their filthy little hands, they surely would have been out paced.

She paused again some time later, and peered around a thick tree that the Gully Dwarfs knew well, for it was hollow and the Gully Dwarfs had used it many times. Gully Dwarfs were forbidden to wander the swamp, with the exception of doing errands for their masters, which seldom involved going beyond the borders of the village. After years of servitude to the Draconians they had managed to find ways to explore their old haunts, but when one was found to be wondering in the swamp without permission, they were denied food. This seldom mattered to the Gully Dwarf since they would eat anything without thought or care for their digestive track, so the Draconians later forbad them to carry dead lizards and such, something that worked much better than depriving them of food.

Once in the swamp, they could hide from the Draconians, for the most part, without being seen. They had developed a series of places in the swamp to hind from the Draconians and with their natural filth and dirt; they were mostly camouflaged from the prying eyes of their Draconian masters. The tree was just one of their favorite hideouts from the tyranny of the Draconians.

E and Filth were about to spring from the brush to get a better view when something grabbed them from behind. A quick yelp from Filth and then a hand covered her mouth. She looked up in a frantic state and saw Scum atop her, one hand covering her mouth and the other held to his lips, indicating shhh. What most would call birdcalls or cricket clicks was more commonly known as, to those who knew, Draconian speak. The sound of a high-pitched chirp echoed off of the Iron Claw trees, bouncing across the swamp. A lower, more sustaining called replied back. As the Draconian speak continued to crescendo the Orchestra of the swamp fell to silence.

Scum dared a look to the Lady through the thick vines, she was still there, but apparently not aware that anything was amiss. To his right, just a few feet away, he heard the most unlikely sound in the swamp, unlikely coming from this source anyway, he heard a branch breaking. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the form of the Baaz Draconian, clawing with stealth towards the Lady. He had to warn her, he felt the need to say something. He turned her way, about to speak for the first time in quite awhile. No, he tried to scream, but his voice, not accustomed to speaking, failed him. With a burst of speed that surprised even himself he crashed through the underbrush and screamed.

“No,” he shouted, and just as quickly as he burst through the brush he was hit full in the face by the Draconians tail, knocking him back into a nearby tree. Something inside of the normally docile Filth looking at the fallen form of Scum snapped in that moment and Filth screamed and charged the Draconian, jumping onto his back and began clawing out the Dragon man’s eyes with her dirty little finger nails.

“Leave Scum be,“ she yelled. The first swing succeeded beyond her hopes and the eye of the Baaz was ripped from its socket, but she lacked the remainder of the strength to tear it out, so it dangled down its cheek. She got in one or two more quick swings when her body went flying through the air hitting the same tree that Scum had hit.

Scum looked at her, her neck twisted at an impossible angle, she did not move. He looked back towards the Baaz who was now consumed with rage and a man who stood next to him who held a bloodied club. The Baaz flailed about wildly, striking blindly at anything that he could see move with his one good eye. He stepped on E as he ran away from his hiding spot. The clawed foot of the Baaz ripped into E’s flesh and E screamed like nothing Scum had ever heard before. The Baaz, then reached for E’s head and with both claws he dug into E’s throat, under his skull and then began to pull. E stopped screaming when Scum heard his neck snap, but that didn’t stop the Baaz, he continued to pull, the sickening snapping and crunching of bone brought bile to the back of Scum’s throat. The Baaz roared in pain and protest and then triumph as he pulled the Gully Dwarf’s head from its body. The Baaz was quickly joined be a few other Draconian’s and the man with the bloody club, all delighting in the scene of the filthy head deprived of its body.

Scum felt more alone now than any other time in his life. In a matter of minutes his two best friends had died and he knew he was to be next. He looked towards the tree to see to the Lady, but she was no where to be seen. He closed his eyes as he began to cry for he had just seen Death and he was about to die, and he did not wish to see it coming.

Last edited:

rach

First Post
i liked it from what i read please keep at it i'll try to read more but it looks really good and forget about the lack of relys people are just lazy keep to it

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Thanks Rach for the support. I have had a bit of a lack of writing as of late. I moved into a new house and with my pregnant wife I have had little time. Also, I entered the Ebberon writing contest too, which I didn't really have a lot of time to write anything really good, but you never now.

However, I have not forgotten this thread, in a few days I should have more from this thread. Stay tuned.

Hey Rocco,

I'm still here!
You know, I was rooting for the gully dwarves to do the whole slave uprising thing. I can't believe they ripped that poor guys head off. Uprising cancelled then!

Keep posting and people will keep reading. I will, and rach too.
Never never never give up, as Winston Churchill would say.

Spider.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Thanks for the support spider, in makes it easier to write when people want to read it. It is a bit longer of a process when you write for only yourself.

Anyway, I am finding my self as of late with a bit of spare time, now that things are finally settling down. I am going to do a quick write up for The Tomb of Horrors thread and then do something to continue this thread.

I always loved the gulley dwarfs too. You will have to wait and see what happens however.

Thanks again for tuning in.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Assault from the Dragon Kin

Lizard Bait

(Part 4: Assault from the Dragon Kin)

By

C.E.Rocco

The lone figure of the Dragon High Lord casually tossed aside scraps from piles of trash, occasionally picking up an item to admire it for a brief second before discarding it into another pile of filth. During the War of the Lance, the Temple of Mishakal had been destroyed by a violent earthquake that proceeded the death of the sinister black Dragon Khisanth. Much of the remaining city had been destroyed and the temple was no exception. The High Lord showed little interest in this activity, his search was more like something to pass the time than any pursuit of finding something of value.

“You can come in if you wish,” he said as he admired a cracked goblet he found in the ruins and quickly discarded it in favor of a dented plate. He did not look at any of the other draconian, in fact, other than acknowledging their presence with words, it would have appeared that he paid them need heed at all.

Krothan ignored the man who held so little regard towards the draconian that he didn’t even bother to look in their direction. With hand gestures and body movements he signaled for the others to get into place.

The high pitched chirping of the draconian leader sent the signal to the others. From the rafters six Sivak draconians glided on the drafts of air, armed with long spears, they descended in a tight spiral meaning to spear their enemy. From the dark of the night a pack of Baaz shifted in the shadows. Only a keen eye could see them and only if closely observed. Further from the rear of the temple the slightest creak betrayed the drawing of bows with poison tipped arrows from Kapaks. Unseen to the naked eye, more cleverly concealed than the Baaz who hide in shadow, the Bozak used magic to turn light in such a way as to make them invisible.

The first of the Sivaks was descending swiftly and mostly in silence and as he closed the gap to the ground his sweeping circles got tighter and faster. In an instance he had the self proclaimed High Lord in his sights braced himself for the impact of the spear driving through the body of the man. Krothan looked on in glee as the Sivak gently glided be hind the man, ten feet, five feet, impact. Only the man was not their, in the last second before the spear tip was to come into contact with the man, he vanished in the blink of an eye and the Sivak, prepared for the impact of flesh through steel and wood, tumbled end over end on the ground as he over extended himself.

The color drained from the scaly face of Krothan as he scanned the temple ruins for a sign of him. He appeared for a brief second by the hidden shadows of the Baaz and then he was gone, in his wake a wall of flame encircled the Baaz, as if he could see the hidden draconians.

Scanning the temple again he soon found the man at the base of ancient pillars, right under foot of the invisible Bozak, but his time it was not only Krothan who had seen the man appear, the Bozak had seen him as well. Spidery words filled the air as the ancient words of magic rolled off of forked tongues. Glowing white missiles flew from scaly fingers towards their mark, the lone so-called High Lord. The High Lord seemed to be casting some sort of spell as well for he seemed self-absorbed in concentrating on something. The glowing white missiles closed in on the High Lord and exploded on impact, but they did not harm the High Lord as planned, instead they impacted on an invisible shield, which absorbed them and dispersed them as harmless light. Krothan’s jaw dropped at the ineffectiveness of draconian magic, but his jaw unhinged when he saw the high Lord raise his arms to the ceiling and complete a spell of his own. Krothan could not see the Bozaks but he knew from years of planning for every contingency where they would most likely be and in that area a thick greenish cloud filled the air and one-by-one the Bozaks began to cough and choke on the st3nch of the magical mist.

In the blink of another eye, Krothan lost track of the High Lord again as he disappeared. Over the coarse of the next couple of minutes he watched in helplessness as the High Lord blinked in and out, from one side of the temple to the other, time and time again. Sometimes he would cast spells, using magic to increase his size, flash bolts of lightning at draconians, sheathing his body in wreaths of flame or to mimic the actions of his draconian combatants, appearing to look just like them. Other times he would tease them be appearing behind them, spooking them with pokes, jabs or laughter.

Krothan watched helpless, he could do nothing, he could not begin to attack the man, for he disappeared and reappeared to quickly to catch. Chaos ruled the scene and the High Lord was the master of that scene. He could only bark orders, occasionally giving commands in the nick of time to avoid a draconian loss , but over all he felt helpless.

Then, in the heat of the battle, it happened, he lost track of the High Lord. The only thing he could do in the battle was to give warning to his troops and now he could not even do that. How could this happen under his command? How could this one man over power his troops? How was he able to see the invisible Bozaks? How could it all happen?

“Are you done Krothan?” came a voice from behind him. Krothan frantically turned to face the man behind the voice and for his effort he was easily lifted off of his feet by a huge metal clad hand. The wind was knocked out of him as the figure of the High Lord thrust him hard into the stone wall. Krothan could not breath, his ribs were cracked and the world was slipping away in a pool of inky black.

Last edited:

Remove ads