• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Lizard King 3.5

gooeylouie

First Post
I don't know if this has been converted on this website yet, but the Lizard King in Serpent Kingdoms was nothing like it was in 1st and 2nd editions, so here it is converted based on it's stats in the 2nd edition monstrous manual.

Lizard King
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 8d8+16 (48 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 dex, +4 improved initiative)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+6 natural, +1 dex, -1 size), tch 10, ff 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+16
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d6+4) or bite +9 melee (1d8+2) or huge trident +12 melee (3d6+6) or huge trident +9 ranged (3d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d6+4) and bite +9 melee (1d8+2); or huge trident +12/7 melee (3d6+6) and bite +9 melee (1d8+2); or huge trident +9 ranged (3d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Skewer
Special Qualities: Hold breath, oversized weapon
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +15, Bluff +6, Climb +9, Craft (weaponsmithing) + 5, Escape artist +6, Hide +2, Intimidate +10, Jump +18, Listen +6, Move silently +6, Search +6, Sense motive +5, Spot +6, Swim +18
Feats: Multiattack, improved initiative, weapon focus (trident)
Environment: Temperate marshes
Organization: 1 plus 2 or more lizardman tribes and one 7th level priest
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: —

Hold Breath: A lizard king can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Skewer (Ex): If an attack roll made with the lizard king's trident is 5 or more greater than the score needed to hit, the lizard king inflicts double damage (with a minimum of 15 points).
10% of male warriors from all tribes guard the lizard king
Lizard kings speak common, draconic, and abyssal

Cleon

Legend
I don't know if this has been converted on this website yet, but the Lizard King in Serpent Kingdoms was nothing like it was in 1st and 2nd editions, so here it is converted based on it's stats in the 2nd edition monstrous manual.

Yes, Serpent Kingdom really screwed up the Lizard King, reducing them to standard lizardfolk with the half-fiend template slapped on top.

Unfortunately, they are the official 3E version, so we can't do a Creature Catalog conversion that's closer to the AD&D original.

Well at least, not for the CC. Doing a conversion and posting it on Homebrew like gooeylouie did is fine.

Come to think of it, ages ago I did a Homebrew for my own amusement. Maybe I'll post it sometime.

Lizard King
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Native)

The stats look sound, except for a minor niggle - ranged attacks include the size modifier, for some bizarre reason, so the thrown trident is +8 ranged, not +8.

The Skewer mechanism looks like a more-or-less verbatim copy of the original. A higher threat range or threat multiple would be more in keeping with the 3E standard.

Oh, and shouldn't it have a Swim speed? Both the 1E and 2E AD&D versions did.

Zaxh

Villager
I like it a lot, you did a good job. My only thought is that the HP seems a bit low, are we assuming that the King will avoid one-on-one combat and instead stay behind his guards as long as he can?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The stats look sound, except for a minor niggle - ranged attacks include the size modifier, for some bizarre reason, so the thrown trident is +8 ranged, not +8.

Not sure if I follow exactly what you meant, but the current +9 for the ranged attack looks right to me (+8 BAB, +1 from DEX).

Cleon

Legend

Not sure if I follow exactly what you meant, but the current +9 for the ranged attack looks right to me (+8 BAB, +1 from DEX).

Dang it, my previous post should have "+8 range, not +9".

For some reason best known to the designers, size modifiers apply to both melee and ranged attacks in 3E, so the Lizard King's thrown trident should have a -1 attack penalty from the creature's Large size.

Or in other words...

+8 BAB, +1 Dex, -1 size

Large creatures suffer a -1 penalty on attack rolls in 3e.

...what he said.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads