• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lizardfolk Monster Class

Androrc

First Post
For some reason, a Lizardfolk monster class wasn't included in Savage Species. Is there anywhere else I can get a monster class for it?

BriarMonkey

First Post
If you are using Savage Species as a guide, just remember that you can pretty easily parse out a creatures abilities over a number of levels.

As a general rule of thumb, add one to their challenge rating and that's how many levels you have to parse their abilities across. Each level they should, roughly, gain abilities equal to a feat. In the end, if you are left with abilities that don't roll into the levels, those are their base abilities just for being that race.

At least, that's how I tend to do it.

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
And it's a good way to do it. However, Savage Species most certainly doesn't work with "CR+1". They still take racial HD and LA seriously in that book. So unfortunately, the CR 1 Lizardfolk must be a three-level class - which is kinda silly, seeing as how they're slightly worse than a 2nd level Fighter or Monk IMHO...

BriarMonkey

First Post
Yeah... Savage Species had some decent ideas, but the implementation is not very well thought out.

When I convert races to racial classes, I use what I mentioned as a rough guideline. I'll often compare the racial hit dice to the CR and their overall abilities. I will start with the CR + 1, but if they are only a challenge because of their hit dice, then I will even go so far as to strip out all the HD and make them a basic race (which I think I did with the lizard man, gnoll, and a few others). If it's something like an Ogre, whose only real claim to fame is an immense strength, I just use the HD and convert that straight across into levels as they really gain not much beyond a STR bump at each level.

So I guess what that means is to take the book with a grain of salt. Use it for ideas and as a general tool, but don't feel tied to it's methods.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Thanks, but I had already seen that. I was thinking of a Lizardfolk monster class detailed in a publication of WotC or Paizo, or another good quality publisher, not something homebrewn.

If memory serves (which is old), you are out of luck in this regard. WotC didn't put out any products that detailed racial classes. The closest you would have seen would have been paragon or bloodlines out of the Unearthed Arcana. That, of course, is dis-including the Savage Species book.

Speaking to other publishers though, I don't recall anything in what I saw that did racial classes either. Necromancers of the Northwest has done a few articles covering this on their website, in recent times, but I don't recall if the lizardman was any part of those.

Androrc

First Post
If memory serves (which is old), you are out of luck in this regard. WotC didn't put out any products that detailed racial classes. The closest you would have seen would have been paragon or bloodlines out of the Unearthed Arcana. That, of course, is dis-including the Savage Species book.

Speaking to other publishers though, I don't recall anything in what I saw that did racial classes either. Necromancers of the Northwest has done a few articles covering this on their website, in recent times, but I don't recall if the lizardman was any part of those.

Ah, so =/

I have found a few racial/monster classes out there:

(Besides Savage Species) Wizards did racial classes in an article of the series "Savage Progressions", in which racial classes for the Aasimar, Drow, Duergar, Feytouched, Svirfneblin and Tiefling were described.

Sean K Reynolds, who wrote many (all?) of the "Savage Progressions" articles, and participated in the writing of Savage Species, also published articles in his web site detailing monster classes for the Doppelganger, Harrid and the Beholder.

The World of Warcraft OGL RPG also has a few racial classes.

Those are all that I know... But no Lizardfolk.

In any case, thanks for help! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads