• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR LL AEC vs OSRIC

spideyfan1972

First Post
Hi, I was wondering which of these plays the most like 1st edition. I have OSRIC and it looks pretty close, but I haven't yet read the LL rules. I have seen some reviews that say that LL is more like how they had played back in the day. Is that true? Is it really better?

Better is subjective. OSRIC is closer to the rules of 1E but LL + AEC is closer to how I played 1E. But that is because I went from BECMI to 1E and basically played BECMI rules with 1E extras chucked on top (classes and stuff). But if you want to play 1E, without (for example) having to use a twenty page document to get combat order sorted, then OSRIC is the right choice. If you prefer simpler core rules but with more advanced rules sprinkled on top go for LL+AEC - it is not much like the AD&D rules that much, although it is still OS D&D style

In summary
OSRIC: streamlined, free and in print AD&D
LL+AEC: trappings of AD&D on BX core, free and in print
AD&D: the real thing, just drop and change what you want to make it yours!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
OSRIC basically is 1st edition.

LL+AEC seems to be more for people who had played basic edition and then used the AD&D PHB. As I always just played AD&D, I've always found LL to be somewhat weird, even with AEC.

Then again, I never needed a 20 pages document to play 1e back in the day. (I mean, really, there's a combat example in the DMG...if 8 year olds could puzzle it out...)

Remove ads