• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E LMoP Item Reward Question - minor spoiler?

SilverBulletKY

First Post
So in the castle, there is a quarterstaff that can be found that has some differentiating markings on it and when held is much lighter than a typical quarterstaff. I think it says it weighs a pound when most weigh 4 lbs. My players found this last session but I'm really not sure of the benefit of a lighter quarterstaff. The only thing I can think of is that this could be considered a 'light' weapon so that it could be duel wielded now if another is found?

Boarstorm

First Post
I think it's just something to marvel over without any real game impact. Maybe introduce players to the idea of creating items out of unusual materials (ironbark, mithril, etc).

"Oh, look, a stick."
"Hmm. It's lighter than it looks."
"Cool! How much can we sell it for?"

aramis erak

Legend
Everyone is as stumped as I am to the purpose of a light weight staff?

A light staff (say, of bamboo) is good for walking, for caning disrespectful peasants, for probing for pits, etc... but only weighs 1 pound instead of the 4 lbs of a good hardwood one. And in games where, like mine is, encumbrance is calculated out, and affects movement starting at strength * 5lbs... it's not a marvel, but it's useful. Especially if it's sturdy enough to conk someone upside the head with for 1d8 damage two-handed.

I agree with Boarstorm. It's just something cool about the item that, while having no in-game mechanical use, would be pretty sweet in real life. How many times do we find something like a new phone and marvel at how thin and light it is?

Not to mention that there are numerous such things in the DMG about making magic items simple like this. An "undead" created weapon for instance feels cold to the touch and incorporates imagery of death like bones and skulls. Does it do anything special? Nah, but now the enemy wielding it seems a bit scarier for having such a gross looking weapon.

Remove ads