• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Load me up with Eberron!

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
For the love of all that is Holy, Eberron WILL have Gnomes. I am afraid Zilargo. AFRAID! I tell you. I have never be afraid of Gnomes until Eberron came.

Before I go to sleep each night I look under my bed to make sure that there is not one hiding under my bed gathering intel.

<shiver/>

Vocenoctum

First Post
Hellcow said:
Well, I've written about this elsewhere, but to summarize my "Why Eberron works with Points of Light with little change" thoughts:
  • Khorvaire has a low population density. "Points of Light" has ALWAYS been the model. In Breland, you have a lot of villages and hamlets around Sharn, Wroat, Starilaskur... but you have a lot of empty space between.<snip>

And that's what I'm saying. As it stands, you CAN strand someone in Ebberon. The world's just HAD an apocalyptic event - I don't think it needs another one.

• I heartily agree that Points of Light can fit in Eberron. My fear is the other way though, FR seems to have decided to rewrite the setting to make it PoL, rather than "the sword coast is PoL style". This is a worry, but I'm not making up my mind or anything, I'll wait and see before burning the effigies. (But, you know, I am getting them stuffed and such, to be ready... :)

Well, there's still going to be gnomes in Eberron, at least AFAIK.

Right, so I get Dragons of Eberron next month, then wait until sometime in 09 to buy anything from WotC again... sounds like an odd business plan to me, but I guess that's what they want. :)

I fully expect Gnomes in D&D Insider right at launch (or soon after) and an Eberron "quick update" in D&D Insider soon after the core's. That doesn't give me anything to read at the laundrymat though, so effectively it leaves me in the cold for my favorite race in my favorite setting.

Hellcow

Adventurer
Vocenoctum said:
Right, so I get Dragons of Eberron next month, then wait until sometime in 09 to buy anything from WotC again... sounds like an odd business plan to me, but I guess that's what they want.
Well, you've got Stormreach in Feburary... Storm Lord Kirris Sel Shadra is a gnome, and not one to mess with. ;)

EATherrian

First Post
Personally, I love the books on the Five Nations and the Forge of War. Those books are great. I really love the setting, but can't bring myself to play it. It's like a beautiful diarama, I don't want to mess up any of the pieces.

Aus_Snow

First Post
EATherrian said:
Personally, I love the books on the Five Nations and the Forge of War. Those books are great. I really love the setting, but can't bring myself to play it. It's like a beautiful diarama, I don't want to mess up any of the pieces.
Damn. That sucks. :\

But hey, if you don't want 'The Forge of War'. . . ;)

I haven't ordered that one yet, you see. :D

But you really don't think you'll ever run a campaign, or even one-shot or whatever, using the setting?

Hellcow said:
Meanwhile, in other news, I think Crime & Punishment and Occult Lore both have lots of utility for Eberron. One of these days I need to do an informal "Eberron Expanded" for them on Bossy the Cow.

Oooooh, yes pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssse!

I thought C&P was great. Useful for all sorts of games, but the tone seems to fit well with Eberron. I ran a mini-game once where one PC had one of those triangular Mark of Justice-thingies on his bonce. It was neat.

I used to salivate over OL but always found it too expensive (I live on the edge of the world, shipping hurts the price). By the time I found it discounted, 3.5 was out, and I couldn't shake the thought that I was going to have to do a bunch of re-configuration to make it work. Oneiromancy was groovy.

I've used little bits from your contributions to Touched by the gods as well. I figure that the Forge were very interested in warforged...

Nlogue

First Post
Hellcow said:
Well, you've got Stormreach in Feburary... Storm Lord Kirris Sel Shadra is a gnome, and not one to mess with. ;)

Whew...glad to hear Zilargo didn't become a nation of tiefling overnight! ;)

Hellcow

Adventurer
Nlogue said:
Whew...glad to hear Zilargo didn't become a nation of tiefling overnight!
Hmm, don't say that too loudly... it sounds frighteningly plausible! After all, we all know the gnomes of Eberron are devilish already; who's to say they couldn't suddenly throw away their disguises and reveal their true fiendish visages (Kidding, I hope!)!

Going back to the OP, it really depends on what you want to do. To avoid wasting money, get the ECS and Player's Guide and leave it at that. If you want to send the party to Sarlona or Xen'drik then get the relevant Secrets of... book. I have the Xen'drik one, which I've enjoyed using, but then one great thing about Xen'drik you can use all of your jungly-pulpy stuff, from Dwellers of the Forbidden City onwrads. I had fun using elements of Ssethregore when my group were jungle-bashing, along with Serathis as a Stormreach substitute.

I've used Explorer's more than I thought I might, Magic less than I thought I might, and Five Nations scarcely at all. I don't have the others.

Aus_Snow

First Post
LordMelquiades said:
Going back to the OP, it really depends on what you want to do. To avoid wasting money, get the ECS and Player's Guide and leave it at that.
Y'know? I might've. However, they are so cheap now (2nd hand, generally - like, $0.01 sometimes!!1!one!) that I think I'll go for most, if not *all*!

But thanks for the brief reviews anyway - it all helps, when it comes to how I might use them (when they arrive! :mad: ). :)

And I'll check out Ssethregore and such. Hm. . .

Last edited:

Remove ads