Lone Wolf I: Shadows on the Dorn

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
It is morning at the Kai Monastery. An elder of the order of the Kai, the venerable master Blue Lynx, had called an assembly of new recruits of an acceptable age to begin adventuring. Once all were there, he unfurled a scroll and began to read.

A situation has developed, one for which we would find it most acceptable if you could send no less than three recruits. It is quite a simple matter, we assure you, but one which would rest easier on our brow if we knew that it was being handled by warriors of your Order.

His Majesty
Golden Lord of Sommerlund
King Ulnar IV
"So, there you have it, lads," old Blue Lynx said. "No less than a summons from King Ulnar himself. I ask one question, and one only – which of you will accept the King’s commission?"

Many young Kai stepped forward, but the first three who answered were the doans Dark Hawk, Silver Wind, and Moon’s Brand.

It is morning in Holmgard. Morning, and folk begin to amble through the streets, whether to work or market. Even at this early hour, a gaggle of streetchildren ran through an alley, pursued by a shouting guardsmen. The children only stuck their tongues out at him and heaved themselves onto the roofs of sheds, and onto a perilous network of roofs and wooden plank bridges, the Roofways.

The sun began to rise, causing the white spire of the King’s Citadel to shine brilliantly, almost unbearably. But Jesabela noticed none of that as she ambled downstairs to eat an early morning breakfast. When she did, the innkeeper beckoned to her and slid a scroll across the bar towards her. She unfurled it as she waited for her meal.

We would summon you to our court today to partake of an adventure. A mission for which we have recruited others. We are well aware of your past and history, but are also aware of your surpassing familiarity with an area that will be required.

His Majesty
King Ulnar IV

It is morning in the Durncrags. The dwarf Hoagar rose, and by routine began polishing his Bor-musket as he ate his breakfast. A few moments later, a Sommlending ranger entered and tossed him a scroll. He unfurled it and read while he ate.

We would appreciate your compliance with a request we have. A situation has arisen, and we feel that one of your talents would be an integral part of the mission. We would request your presence at court this day.

His Majesty
King Ulnar IV

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Hoagar brushed his hair back. "A situation... odd use of words. I don't assume it would be an escaped sheep, would it?" he asked the ranger. The dwarf put the finishing touches on cleaning his musket. "So tell me more of what you know about this..." he said to the ranger as he prepared for the journey ahead. Unlike his brethern, Hoagar did not enjoy staying in the mountains all his life, and was eager to get out in the open air. "We have lizard tails today.." he offered.

adgramaine

First Post
"Master Blue Linx, I gladly lend a sword to the court of our King in the name of our great Lord Kai. Rest assured this matter will be attened to with the utmost of our abilities." Bowing deeply, Dark Hawk then stands tall, straightening his cloak and tunic, and re-adjusting Talon (his well-known family sword, his namesake) and returning to the shadows of the Great Hall.

(OOC: what is Blue Linx's rank? Kai Ranks for NPCs might help us role-play interactions properly in difference to ranks)

After the gathering has been called, Dark Hawk somberly saunters through the halls towards his bunk in the dormitory, gather his belongings, taking mental inventory and considering a few thoughts on provisions makes a trip to the Quartermaster.

"Sir", he begins with a slight inclination of the head, "as you no doubt know I have volunteered on a mission to aid our King. I would like to formally request horses and feed to expidite our journey to Holmgard. Also, if we could appropriate a map as our lessons have not been to the inclusions of Tracking... and we might need it."
A wry grin crosses Dark Hawk's face for a second as he awaits the Quartermaster's response.

Dark Hawk then passes his time until departure sharpening his sword and sparring in the coutyard with the others of his Rank.
(OOC: if a game of greel is played and he has time, Dark Hawk will play, as he sees even this game as a chance to hone is preturnatural reflexes)
(Final OOC: is there a young Kai by chance of the name Storm Hawk or Swift Fox? I'm not sure of Swift Fox's age due to his only reference being a "journeyman" in Book 2, but both - if they are alive at this time - should even now be very well-known within the Kai Order)

Last edited:

Paido

First Post
Back at the Good Cheer Inn, Jesabela reflected upon the message while tackling her breakfast of white bread, ewe's cheese and a hot mug of jala. What kind of adventure might that be, I wonder? A voice in her head kept nagging about that offer being a trap, but she firmly told it to walk the plank. After all, my belt pouch is almost empty, and what have I ever done that would prompt a king to personally set a trap for me? Taking another sip of the dark jala, her thoughts strayed to images of wealthy courtiers loaded with jewelry and taut belt pouches. A grin came to her face, and she decided to dare take the offer at face value. Good thing I took a hot bath yesterday ...

After finishing her meal, she shoved the scroll under her belt, gave the innkeeper a smile of thanks and returned to her room to gather her belongings. When she came back down, she told the innkeeper to keep her room free until next morning, then lazily sauntered out the door.

Outside, Jesabela soaked up the rays of the sun for a moment, then turned her steps toward the King's Citadel. Two alleys later she decided to take the route across the Roofways instead, to keep in training ... and out of the pressing crowds. Nimbly as a cat she climbed up a ladder leaned to a grocer's shop and made her way across the roofs and wooden planks, until she finally arrived at the citadel. Taking care not to be seen by any guards, she choose a sunny spot on the roof from where she had a good view on the citadel's gate and sat down. After all, it wouldn't do to be too careless. The king can wait a while longer.

Rummaging through her backpack, she produced a small block of wood and a dagger. Not having real skill with carving doesn't mean it cannot be enjoyable, after all ... Keeping an watchful eye on the citadel, should anything suspicious happen or any unusual people arrive, she started to pass the day with carving, puzzling over her treasure map and softly singing a few pirate's songs. Her backpack rested next to her, the flap thrown back to allow easy access to her brass telescope, just in case anything warranted a closer look ...

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Hoagar said:
"So tell me more of what you know about this..." he said to the ranger as he prepared for the journey ahead.
"Nothing much beyond what you know, 'Greyface'. A messenger rode into camp this morn while the day's firewood was being gathered." He looks at the dwarf, a dreamy expression in his eye. "If King Ulnar himself sent it, must be an important mission. I wish I'd get sent on important missions..."

Dark Hawk said:
"Master Blue Linx, I gladly lend a sword to the court of our King in the name of our great Lord Kai. Rest assured this matter will be attened to with the utmost of our abilities."
"Excellent," says the old Kai master.

Blue Lynx is old. Picture Storm Hawk on the cover of Legends #1. Not sure if he'd be Magnakai, but about as high-level as you can otherwise be. And what the heck, we'll say Storm Hawk's there as a newer recruit - say an Aspirant.

Dark Hawk said:
"Sir", he begins with a slight inclination of the head, "as you no doubt know I have volunteered on a mission to aid our King. I would like to formally request horses and feed to expidite our journey to Holmgard. Also, if we could appropriate a map as our lessons have not been to the inclusions of Tracking... and we might need it."
"Yes, I'd heard of it when the messenger arrived. Pity I'm too old to do my bit. Ahh, well." He pushes a map across the counter. "Here you go. I'll send a lad 'round to get the horses ready."

Jesabela said:
Keeping an watchful eye on the citadel, should anything suspicious happen or any unusual people arrive, she started to pass the day with carving, puzzling over her treasure map and softly singing a few pirate's songs. Her backpack rested next to her, the flap thrown back to allow easy access to her brass telescope, just in case anything warranted a closer look...
A merchant wagon drives into the castle. It's not necessarily an unusual occurrence, but it's the first noteworthy thing you see.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Hoagar looks at the messenger. "Well one day you might be," the dwarf says. He packs fast, and is ready very quickly. "So time to be off... it has been so quiet here I had been contemplating making toys for the children and retiring, and this summons arrives timely. So if need be we arrive at the court this day, let us journey now yar?"

adgramaine

First Post
Dark Hawk hopes to find Silver Wind and Moon's Brand around the monastary, heady that the group was provisioned horses.
"I have secured our transportation, gentlemen. When you are ready to make way, let me know. I'll be with the Novices teaching them how to play a real game of greel"....

He heads off to the courtyard to round up a group of younger Kai novices, taking a moment to glance at the map provided to him by the Quartermaster. Noting the distance needed to travel, he silently hopes that his two companions on this trip won't take too long in preparations.

The Novices would be in for a hell of a greel lession otherwise....

Last edited:

Eternalknight

First Post
Silver Wind emerges from his quarters, tying his green Kai cloak around his shoulders as he does. He spots Dark Hawk across the courtyard, three horses saddled and ready. Straightening his backpack and weapons, he strides towards him, a smile of greeting on his face.

"So, it's just you, me , Moon's Brand and King Ulnar himself, eh? Sounds like fun! Where is Moon's Brand anyway?"

Relenoir

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Silver Wind emerges from his quarters, tying his green Kai cloak around his shoulders as he does. He spots Dark Hawk across the courtyard, three horses saddled and ready. Straightening his backpack and weapons, he strides towards him, a smile of greeting on his face.

"So, it's just you, me , Moon's Brand and King Ulnar himself, eh? Sounds like fun! Where is Moon's Brand anyway?"

"Over here!" she calls out from the other side of the horses. "I was just packing some stuff into the saddlebags so I don't have to carry it all on my back while we're riding. You want to add anything? I still have some room on this side."
"You missed a good sparring session. Dark Hawk and I were having a great practice, then some of the novice's showed up to play greel, so I cut out at that point." Moon's Brand doesn't play greel anymore, since taking a nasty lump on the head last year from an axe that bounced off the target. Fortunately, it was the blunt end. "Ready when you are!"

Remove ads