• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lonely Gamers Anonymous (a lament)

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Krypter said:
Unfortunately our group is in downtown Toronto, but if it's any consolation you'd be welcome to join us.

Well, thanks very much for that Krypter. Heh. Heading off to TO every/every other week would definitely stretch the boundaries of wifely support, specially at a buck twenty five a litre.(aackk!) I mean, she's supportive...but not THAT supportive.

Hmm. On the other hand, maybe I could get into having a gameday once in a while....

Tolen Mar

First Post
shadow said:
I know the feeling very well. Luckily, I managed to find a good group after a long time of looking. However, things weren't always as good. There was a time where I took a hiatus from gaming because I couldn't find a serious group. Even living in a college town it was hard to find serious gamers. I was competing against computer games, other social engagements, and #@%* 50 cent pitcher night at the bars (I can't believe the number of people who would rather drink themselves stupid than game). Keep looking. Don't give up hope yet.

Hey Shadow, that college town wouldnt happen to be Carbondale would it?

I live in Herrin, and we badly need new blood.

Anyone else who lives within say 40 minutes or less of Herrin, get in touch, Id like to meet you. (And if you dont know Herrin, then Marion works as well...Herrin is 5 minutes from Marion on the backroads.)

This seems to be a fledgling epidemic :)

I have been trying to peice together a group in Minnesota, and have a bunch of folks that willmostly show up once a month. But its occasionally like pulling teeth. I have a website, post updates via email, talk to the ones I work near...and still have players that show up late, dont have thier characters, have no idea what their chosen spells can do....!

My old group from SoCal recently got a reunion site running on Yahoo groupsl Looks like we are going to have a PBEM game.. which is a start.
One of my buddies comes back from Iraq in October {I hope not earlier..} and we should be able to hook up for a SW game.

I will echo the above posters in keep trying. Once my work stops taking up soo much of my time I will go back to the FLGS'.. after all, even if the gamers there are elitist and some fit the sterotype a bit too well :(

I also will be going to the next local CON, in the off chance I can rebuild/join a group of players who willing to put some effort into the game. Perhaps even someone else to be GM!

lgburton

First Post
Shadowslayer said:
I try...and try...and try to bring new folks into the game. Usually it burns hot, but quickly. People enjoy themselves for the most part, but they don't really get INTO it. I've yet to have a new player actually go out and get a PHB. We can play for 6 weeks and I still have to tell them which one's the d8 and which ones the d10. Mind you these are intelligent people...they COULD get it if they wanted to.

sing out brotha! tell us of the pain that is trying to get people into actually enjoying the playing of the game!

this reminds me of my current group in many difficult ways. we've been playing weekly (with about 2 month-long hiaturs for real world issues) for a year and 4 months now... and, though everyone owns their own phb at least, they certainly don't seem to know how to use them! and what's more, they insist on playing spellcasters! :eek:

i've tried finding people who are willing to commit to a once a week game. i've tried finding people who are willing to commit to an every-few weeks game. i just can't find them!

the frustrations of finding a group of solid, semi-reliable gamers might just drive me mad someday.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Shadowslayer said:
Well, thanks very much for that Krypter. Heh. Heading off to TO every/every other week would definitely stretch the boundaries of wifely support, specially at a buck twenty five a litre.(aackk!) I mean, she's supportive...but not THAT supportive.

Hmm. On the other hand, maybe I could get into having a gameday once in a while....

One of our players in our group is in London.

We ususally play in Brampton. Not so bad.

He makes it once a month or so - but we've been talking about adding a Fantasy Grounds session to those who are unable to game every weekend from our group for reasons of wives and family.

So.....after all the talk - a bunch of us bought the software and we finally did run a FG session tonight.

There were some bumps, sure. Getting characters keyed in and the initial download of rules sets and art is a wee bit of a delay.

I spent 3-4 hours getting the first 2 levels OCR'd in and then set up in the Story Editor in Fantasy Grounds. The DM tools are actually extremely powerful and the hot linking and embedding of encounters in the story forms and the ability to drag and drop all over the software is very, very, cool. (Did I mention this was cool? THen let me say it again - COOL).

In some respects - no table top game goes as smoothly as do some elements of FG. Combat, dungeoneering and encounter managment is AWESOME.

Once you get through the first few hours of learning the program in game, using Skype for voice conference chatting at the same time? Well - this program rocks. It is not "kind" of like gaming face to face - it is exactly like gaming face to face - even better in terms of map exploration and the tools for that part of the game work very well (and have just been improved substantially via the latest patch).

I missed the miniatures (we have thousands) but I got to say - while our projector system is cool? - FG is just as good. (It's the same technology, really - just on our screens as opposed to being projected on our tabletop)

We did a session in Maure Castle this evening and it was really very cool after we got into it.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

TheGM

First Post
Shadowslayer said:
testing new sig
Shadowslayer, if you haven't, you'd be well served to post that over at Dragonsfoot too - there are plenty of C&C gamers there that do not come to ENWorld (It is the home of the C&C society after all).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I would like to add my .02 and just say that not having a regular gaming group is the pits. I had a regular group until recently... that is, when school started. Then they all up and moved away. Now I have but one solo player left, and while he's into gaming, he's the same solo player I've been friends and running with for 12 years. So, I need new blood, or to game with new blood.

The OTHER problem is, I work overnights at a hotel as night auditor, and I almost never have weekends off, and the days I DO have off are pretty random. It was easier with the other group -- they also worked overnights at hotels around my town. :)

I guess I'm just griping, but I do feel your pain.

Remove ads