• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Long Distance Teleport Rituals?

Ahglock

First Post
So other than the level 28 ritual(way too high level IMO) long distance teleports require arriving in a teleportation point of some kind. So big towns have them, large churches, magic universities etc.

Well am I missing the rule on how they are made?

I'm basically fine with needing them, though I'd have reduced the high end ritual quite a bit in level. But if these were constructed and put in a town, how are they put there. Are they just plot devices with no way too be made. I know the first question I will be asked when the players find out they can only teleport to these spots will be, well how do we make one?

I've been looking for this and I can't find it, so if anyone can point me to the rules on how they are made I'd love it.

mattdm

First Post
I'll be shocked if we don't eventually see an official ritual for creating them. But yeah, as it is, they exist where the DM wants them.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Perhaps the towns are specifically built on sites where it's possible to make a teleportation circle. If characters were around 20th level or so, constructing their own base of operations, and had years to go about it, I think having them scout around to find the proper convergence of ley lines and building a fortress on that spot with a teleportation circle would be reasonable with the proper ritual.

Or all the teleportation circles are ancient, and the ritual for creating them has been lost. Which is not to say that it necessarily will remain so, if the characters are determined enough to find it.

On another note, does anyone else think the new teleportation stuff in general is awesome? I'm getting all sorts of plot hook ideas from how they work... Ancient artwork depicting a scene in a location that people don't believe ever actually existed, but you can see part of a teleportation circle...

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
NMcCoy said:
On another note, does anyone else think the new teleportation stuff in general is awesome? I'm getting all sorts of plot hook ideas from how they work... Ancient artwork depicting a scene in a location that people don't believe ever actually existed, but you can see part of a teleportation circle...

I like the way teleportation works in this edition, but I don't like the extreme cost of some of the rituals.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
I like the way teleportation works in this edition, but I don't like the extreme cost of some of the rituals.

It's kinda wonky, yeah -- but compare with something like the cost of healing potions as you go up in level. It's assumed that the value of an individual gold piece scales downward pretty quickly as the PCs level up.

I also think it's one of the things that's easiest to change for a given campaign with no effects, since it only serves to limit how often the ritual will get used.

VannATLC

First Post
What, you mean, Stargates >.>

I'm even going to have the dwarves make a Dialler, opening portals to places that haven't been touched in Millenia.

Otterscrubber

First Post
NMcCoy said:

I love the new teleportation stuff, its has a SG-1 feel to it now. My last campaign got into the 20+ and we started to house rule teleportation; as being able to zip wherever you want whenver you want kinda destroys a lot of the feel of a big campaign setting.

But now, if you want to find something like a secret library you have to search for information on the correct sigils for the circle to get there. And if it is warded with forbiddance, you simply wont get there until you are powerful enough to break the wards and "earn" your way in. I like it a lot.

Obryn

Hero
Ahglock said:
So other than the level 28 ritual(way too high level IMO) long distance teleports require arriving in a teleportation point of some kind. So big towns have them, large churches, magic universities etc.

Well am I missing the rule on how they are made?

I'm basically fine with needing them, though I'd have reduced the high end ritual quite a bit in level. But if these were constructed and put in a town, how are they put there. Are they just plot devices with no way too be made. I know the first question I will be asked when the players find out they can only teleport to these spots will be, well how do we make one?

I've been looking for this and I can't find it, so if anyone can point me to the rules on how they are made I'd love it.
4e doesn't assume that everything that's done in the game by NPCs can be done by the players via the existing game rules. :)

There may be rules sometime, but for right now - they're there for the same reason the towns are there, or the dungeons are there. Someone put them there.

Revel in this freedom. You're the DM, so make the most out of this. If your players ask, "How do we make one?" ... that's your cue that they have a goal, and it's your turn to make something up. Heck, make an adventure out of it - say, the knowledge died with the Empire of Bael Turath, and it's up for the PCs to find it buried in their lost catacombs. Or tell them it's a 30th-level ritual and to talk to you in a year. Or that it takes weeks of work and the secrets are jealously guarded, but that a nearby sage could be persuaded to do it for a price.

The options are limitless. :)

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads