• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Long(er) range precision damage

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm trying to find ways to increase the range limit of precision damage (like Sneak Attack and Skirmish Damage) beyond 30 feet.

I know of the following options:
Feats:
Crossbow Sniper (PH2)

Spells:
Sniper's Shot(SpC)

of course, Crossbow Sniper only works on crossbows, and Sniper's Shot only lasts 1 round (unless Persisted, which makes it take up a high level spell slot)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Herzog

Adventurer
Yes, because ignoring rules has worked so well in the past....

Like one of our DM's who decided costly material components were 'stupid', resulting in our druid spamming Stoneskin like there was no tomorrow.

I do, now and again, ignore rules (as a DM). However, as a rule I try not to. Especially when I'm NOT the DM.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think the 3.0 Deepwood Sniper prestige class had an ability to help.

There really isn't much out there to help extending SA range, unfortunately.

Best you can probably do is just Hand Crossbow Focus (Drow of the Underdark) + Crossbow Sniper. And either use a shield in the other hand or find a way to dual wield them and still be able to reload.

Trance-Zg

First Post
Crossbow sniper. 60ft range.
House ruled it for bows also.

Far shot house rule to extend precision damage range by 50%(like anyone would take that feat anyway...)

but for the SRD rules, you're toast at 30ft

Wyvernhand

First Post
Spellwarped Sniper can do it with rays out to 60' at 5th level. I think the earliest ECL that is is 10th if you went Rogue1/Wizard4/UnseenSeer1/SpellwarpedSniper5 or the same thing with Spellthief.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Most people stop at Bloodstorm Blade 4, because...being able to full attack with the same thrown weapon pretty much singlehandedly makes that combat style playable. But at level 5, they get a ricochet ability to have the weapon bounce off from one target and attack another, figuring out things like range increment penalties and cover as if the attack had come from the square where your weapon ricocheted. You could use this to string out your sneak attack range by a hefty amount if you had the attacks and enough enemies near each other to do it.

The halfling skiprock might have a similar property, I can't recall if the second target has to be adjacent or it's more lenient than that.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Be a Warlock.

Deal all +1d6 damage at a range of 60', as a touch attack, against everything.

Unless you take a first level invocation, which increases your +1d6 damage to 250'. Yes, Two Hundred and Fifty Feet.

At level 6, gain the ability to Fly Forever. Whenever in combat outdoors, fly UP. Snipe all of your enemies from 250 feet above them. Solve all problems. Win.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads