• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Long Rambling Post about *Planar Binding*

Mods: please feel free to move this to House Rules if more appropriate. I couldn’t decide where to post it.

I don’t know whether the various planar binding spells see much usage in your campaign or not – they’re pretty important in mine. If you do use them regularly, you’ll probably have noticed how wonky they are, and, in some places, counterintuitive. I’ve been fiddling with them on and off for a while now – much to the annoyance of one of my players, who asks sarcastically ‘which version are we using tonight?’

I’m going to dissect the mechanics of the spell piece by piece, and then offer a solution which may or may not be palatable. It seeks to address some of the potential imbalances the spell can cause, but I’ll also try to suggest some possible consequences of the whole planar binding issue in larger, role-playing terms. Throughout, I’ll be assuming the most favourable circumstances for the mage:

1. He uses a specially prepared diagram
2. The diagram is dimensionally anchored

Lesser planar binding is detailed on p.221 of the PHB. The section on calling (p.157) is also very important.

Names

The type of creature to be bound must be known and stated. If it has a specific, proper, or given name, this must be used in casting the spell.

This opens a whole can of worms in itself. Which creatures have specific names? I’d say pretty much all of them. Do imps have names? If some do not, can one therefore conjure a ‘generic’ imp? This leads to the line of whether there are ‘generic’ balors, pit fiends etc. I’m in favour of making the names important – they become a desirable commodity, personalize the outsider, add flavour, and so on. Some names could be well-known, others could be very rare or previously unknown. Wizards could pass tidbits of information between one another:

"I would not use the salamander Taap’tor, he is irascible and greedy: I know a slaad who may perform more effectively for a lower price!"

Etc.

Certain outsiders might even ‘specialize’ in engaging with Prime Plane mages – it might be a smart career move for an aspiring devil. There is no reason to assume that all outsiders would resent being called.

Saving Throws

The target creature must attempt a Will saving throw. If the saving throw succeeds, the creature resists the spell. If the saving throw fails, the creature is immediately drawn to the trap (spell resistance does not keep the creature from being called).

Let’s assume for a moment a 14th level sorcerer with a penchant for conjuration. He has a Charisma of 22 (15 + 3 for level increases +4 enhancement) and the feat Spell Focus: Conjuration. Not what I would regard as a particularly heavily twinked character. The Save DC to resist his Planar Binding (the 7th level version, which calls 16 HD outsiders) is 25. If he elects to conjure a Balor (permissible by the spell), then the demon, with its Will Save of +13 has a 55% chance of failing its saving throw. If the spell fails, then the demon simply doesn’t appear.

As the sorcerer can cast 3 x 7th level spells every day, the chances are that he’s going to snag the Balor eventually.

If the Sorcerer has prepared an inscribed trap (no SR) with a dimensional anchor (no teleporting away), the only way in which the demon can escape is to attempt a Charisma check:

DC 15 + 1/2 the caster’s level + the caster’s Charisma modifier

Which is to say a DC of 33 – remember that specially prepared traps enjoy a +5 bonus on the Charisma check DC. The Balor isn’t going anywhere fast: a natural ‘20’ does not mean automatic success for an Ability Check. The depressing irony of the situation is that a 13th level Wizard with a Charisma of 11 still enjoys a DC of 25 for targets to break free of his binding. The Balor is captured once again.

Making Demands

So the Sorcerer has his Balor. Whilst, in theory, the Balor can attempt to break free, its Charisma is too low to make this possible. At this point, it might also be worth mentioning the fact that a quirk of this system is that very powerful outsiders with lower charisma (e.g. Balors) are theoretically less likely to break free from the trap of a well-prepared mage than those of less stature, but higher charisma (e.g. Succubi). Although with a DC in the high twenties or thirties, it will make little difference in practice.

The character can attempt to compel the creature to perform a service by describing the service and perhaps offering some sort of reward. The character makes a Charisma check opposed by the creature’s Charisma check. The DM then assigns a bonus based on the service and reward, from 0 to +6. This bonus applies to the character's Charisma check. If the creature wins the opposed check, it refuses service. New offers, bribes, and the like can be made or the old ones reoffered every 24 hours… If the character rolls a 1 on the Charisma check, the creature breaks free of the binding and can escape or attack the character

Note the can. What if the character opts not to attempt to strike a deal? He makes no Charisma check, thus he cannot roll a ‘1,’ ergo the creature is trapped permanently – at least, that’s one way of interpreting it.

Also note the perhaps. The Sorcerer is under no obligation to offer a reward, he can simply say ‘do this.’ He would receive no bonus to his opposed Charisma Check. The high-Charisma Sorcerer merely enjoys his usual +6 – the Balor, with a Charisma of 16 gains a +3 bonus.

In the unlikely event that the character rolls a ‘1’ in his attempt to coerce the Balor, the chances are that the Sorcerer will prevail in a few days. The risk of failure and attack is relatively low.

Which Creatures are Allowed?

As it stands, the limiting factor on the various planar binding spells is the HD of the target creature – up to 24 HD for the most powerful version of the spell. Whilst this is presumably intended to be balanced with regard to the core rulebooks (although arguably is not), it starts to fray badly when powerful creatures from other supplements are included – the Klurichir from the FF and various creatures from the ELH spring to mind. Technically, they are permissible targets of greater planar binding. And what about creatures with the epic pseudonatural template from the ELH? They are outsiders, after all. Some will have less than 24 HD. Are they legitimate targets? I would say yes, but with certain provisos, detailed below.

Fixes?

The HD/CR Solution

One answer to the possible imbalance that successfully binding a Balor at 13th or 14th level might cause is to change the ‘target’ line in the spells so that they read ‘One elemental or outsider of up to CR 16’ etc. It is generally conceded that CR is a more accurate measure of power than HD, and this would push CR 17 and over creatures (including the Balor, Pit Fiend etc.) into the area of greater planar binding – available at 15th or 16th character level. It would also avoid the rampant abuse of the planar binding spells that can occur if creatures from the ELH or other supplements are permitted as targets. This is probably the simplest and less intrusive fix.

Names

The name of the creature to be called must be known. One cannot simply conjure ‘a balor’ or even ‘an imp.’ Creatures have specific, given names, which must be either discovered by the mage, or are – to a greater or lesser degree – common knowledge. The DM determines how common certain names are in his campaign, which ones are unknown etc. Researching the name of an individual creature might require time and resources and a Knowledge (arcana) check. It might be tradable information between mages. It could even lead to a quest to uncover the name of a particular creature, thus leading to power over it and a greatly enhanced magical reputation and influence.

By using names in this way, not only is the RP experience enhanced – a creature with a name is much more interesting than one without – but the DM enjoys the ability to balance the power of the planar binding spells in an ongoing fashion to suit the flavour of his own game. He controls the access to names, after all.

Changing the Mechanics of Escape and Servitude

As written, I have no problems with the mechanics of the saving throw or the negated extradimensional travel that a properly scribed and dimensionally anchored diagram offers. These are reasonable benefits to expect, when a mage takes all necessary precautions.

The Charisma check to break free of containment has great flavour – the battle of wills which ensues between captor and captive. I have a problem with the way it plays out, however – essentially it is no challenge to any well-prepared mage. Being of the opinion that planar binding should be a potentially rewarding but also very hazardous undertaking, I would suggest both of the following fixes:

1. The DC for the captured creature to break free changes to 10 + (1/2 the caster’s level + the caster’s Charisma modifier). If a calling diagram is not employed, then the creature enjoys a further +5 on its roll to escape.

Effectively, the DC of the Charisma check is reduced by 10 across the board.

2. The diagram no longer negates the target’s use of SR to escape, but reduces the SR of the creature by 10. Every day, the caster must make a check to overcome the target’s new SR (d20 + caster level). If the caster has the Spell Penetration or Greater Spell Penetration feats, these apply to the spellcaster’s roll.

Powerful outsiders (with SR in the 28+ range) become less than secure if the mage is below 17th level (or 15th level if he has the Spell Penetration feat). This fix also has the benefit or restricting the safe planar binding of a Solar (SR 32), Klurichir (SR 36) and a variety of Epic creatures – notably the powerful epic pseudonaturals with their HD x 5 formula for Spell Resistance – until higher spellcaster levels.

Servitude

The basic mechanic for compelling service from a creature would remain unchanged – a straightforward opposed Charisma Check. However, I would suggest a negative modifier to the spellcaster’s roll of –1 to –5, depending on the difficulty of the task required (very easy, easy, moderate, difficult, very difficult), and an equal positive modifier based on the price offered or service returned (nominal, minor, moderate, generous, lavish). If no reward is offered, the caster gains no bonus in forcing service from the creature. Tasks of a long duration might incur an additional penalty. If the spellcaster rolls a natural ‘1’ on his Charisma Check, then the captive breaks free as normal.

With an emphasis on Charisma, the inevitable result is one where sorcerers become better binders than wizards – which may or may not be a bad thing, given what ‘sorcerer’ actually means. And it may give them a much-needed schtick.

Problem Creatures

Whilst it is possible to rule that certain creatures are beyond the power of the planar binding spells to call, I am always reluctant to do so in my game. I far prefer the idea of dangerous supernatural enemies being unleashed by incompetent or overconfident mages.

I think that the answer here also lies with the negotiation Charisma Check, and the way that the target creature perceives reward and service. What is ‘difficult’ for one creature may be much easier for another, and what is a ‘lavish’ reward for one might count as nothing for another.

For example, a solar might view a very simple task as very difficult if it compromises its alignment principles in any way, and return payments will likely involve service for some noble religious cause. For a reward to be ‘lavish’ to a powerful Devil, the caster may need to offer dozens of souls as payment, and it will view difficulty in terms of risk to itself.

Pseudonaturals, with their utterly alien mindset, might simply regard any service demanded of them as ‘unreasonable,’ and refuse it – something which the wording of the spell certainly allows for. Perhaps for the reward to be meaningful, they can only be paid in a certain commodity, the nature and location of which the conjurer must determine. Perhaps it is impossible – or nearly impossible – to determine any of their names. It seems a shame to force a further mechanical restriction on the spell, when the DM has so many other ways of monitoring its use and maintaining its balance whilst still remaining within the spell’s description.

Protocol and Hazards

When a creature is captured within a diagram, none of its abilities or attacks can cross the threshold. Likewise, if the caster (or anything else) disturbs the circle, the creature is released. In my game, I take this to include assaults upon the confined creature – magical or otherwise – as these violate the spirit of the spell.

Note that there is nothing within the wording of the spell to suggest that a captured creature cannot use spells or spell-like abilities on itself or within the circle – these might include darkness, invisibility or various buffs.

Once service has been forced or the contract has been agreed, the creature’s attitude towards the spellcaster will depend upon its reward or lack thereof. Conjured creatures will tend to follow the letter of any agreement exactly, exploiting any loopholes to the best of their ability. Creatures who have been coerced will bear resentment or malice towards the spellcaster, which may manifest at a later date. Those who are well-rewarded may be favourably disposed towards the mage if their services are requested again.

If a caster reneges upon an agreement with an outsider – instead banishing it, for example – the creature will certainly seek redress through any means possible. This may include marking the caster for future reprisals, striking a deal with another mage to allow access to the Prime Plane to assault the offender etc. Many outsiders are patient, and are prepared for their schemes to mature. If the caster makes a habit of breaking contracts with conjured creatures, he will be sure to quickly acquire many powerful enemies.

Compacting and Optimum Risk

What if a Wizard plane shifts to the Abyss in order to strike a deal with a particular demon before he conjures it? Or if he calls a celestial on a regular, ongoing basis, or strikes an open-ended bargain with an elemental?

If a mage intends to draw on extraplanar aid regularly – other than that offered by the various summon monster spells – it would probably behoove him to come to a long-term agreement with a single group or individual. Such an arrangement would reduce or remove the largest threat to the conjurer – the escape of the target creature and its subsequent attack on the mage.

It is possible for a spellcaster to have a relationship with an outsider which is more complex than that offered at first glance by the planar binding spells, and involves the long-term presence of the target creature on the Material Plane. Certain demons and devils – who might relish the chance to wreak havoc or propagate evil on the Prime – would probably seize such an opportunity. Elementals might enjoy the chance to experience new smells, sensations, minerals, or items to immolate – according to their nature. A planetar or deva may view a mage favourably if it is routinely conjured to perform good tasks – leading to an ‘Enochian’ class of conjurer who benefits from celestial sponsorship and protection.

Hence, a certain class of outsider is possible – the ‘professional compactee,’ for want of a better term. It grants a service over an extended period to a spellcaster for certain perquisites – tempting or tormenting mortals, extending its healing powers to those who are worthy, consuming a steady stream of valuable minerals etc. Compacts are a natural development from bindings, and can be contractual obligations of amazing length and complexity. Their variety is breathtaking, and the price extracted by powerful devils often terrifying.

If the conjurer decides to forego the ‘sponsorship’ that demons, celestials etc. can offer, preferring instead to call a variety of creatures, suited to the particular task at hand, he sacrifices safety for greatly increased flexibility. The ‘flexible conjurer’ ideally needs to reduce his risk to the bare minimum – the only chance that the trapped creature should have of escaping, should be the accidental ‘1’ that the conjurer will inevitably roll from time to time on his opposed Charisma check.

the Jester

Legend
Very interesting analysis, Sepulchrave II!

What do you think of the planar ally suite of spells? Have you thought through the full implications of them as thoroughly as you have the bindings? (I'd hazard no, since you don't have a cleric pc to deal with...)

Hopefully the forthcoming revision will address some or all of the issues with all of these spells (the HD limit should definitely involve CR, f'rex).

Olive

Explorer
Interesting...

I'm going to need to consider these issues, as I have a PC who 's player is extremelly influenced by Mostin... I am expecting a great deal of calling and the like to be engaged in by this player and I'm aware there are issues.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Seravin

Explorer
It's straightforward and overall I like most of suggestions/interpretations. Two items spring to mind at this point:

1) Under Demands of Service, if a spellcaster refused to make any demands for the day I'd still force the charisma check under the basis that choosing 'not to choose' is still a choice. In effect the caster is demanding that the outsider stays in place - which while low risk has the potential of disrupting any ongoing plans and offers no rewards.

2. The Planar Ally suite is the same levels across the board as the Planar Binding spells, yet there is zero chance of hostility or it breaking free. I'm feeling a little cautious about making Planar Binding harder to use for the arcane casters with the -10 across the board. But only a little cautious. Planar Ally would be self limiting anyway by virtue of priests not being able to summon creatures of opposing alignments.

Still, for the most part I like the suggestions and I'd be willing to try them in practice. Unfortunately my players aren't interested in those spells.

Gez

First Post
Seravin :
Unfortunately my players aren't interested in those spells.

Their loss... Planar ally is a wonderful spell. Instead of a crappy creature appearing only for a couple of seconds, you get a much more powerful outsider that stay virtually as long as you need it. We called an avoral recently, to get a little help against a "burned bones" lich, and without him, since we don't have any arcane spellcaster in the party, we would have been toast. Or rather, we would have had no way to even reach the BBEG. Unfortunately, the avoral was slain (along with a party member), by a maximised blade barrier. Which means we won't have to fill our part of the deal! :cool:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Hey Sepulchrave! Interesting analysis.

I've heard rumors (I think on the Andy Collins boards) that the various planar * spells are going to be reworked and clarified in the revised edition -which is good. In one recent session of mine, a cleric NPC called up an arcane angel from one of Monte Cook's Books of Eldritch Might, and the thing was incredibly powerful for a 4th level spell.

Which reminds me, Seravin: they're not all the same level - LPA is 4th level while LPB is 5th. The others do match up. Also, with the planar ally spells, they are even easier to control, because the outsider is of the deity's choice, not your own. (So really, the above situation was my fault, but I couldn't see a logical reason the deity wouldn't send such a creature, considering the mission they were on for his temple...)

Your talk of bargaining with creatures and having extended relationships is exactly what the sorcerer in my Planescape game is doing. We even constructed a Planar Envoy PrC for him (posted in House Rules) that seems to be working pretty well, although he hasn't used the planar ally powers yet.

Tsyr

Explorer
It all makes so much more sense when you completely throw out all existing summoning rules and replace them with Mongoose's Demonology...

:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads