• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Long Rest House Rule to adjust to "frequently resting" campaigns

Gafgarionn

First Post
Option [ I ]

Maybe make it so they can only heal up Hit Points equal to proficiency bonus in Hit Die per short rest. So from general level 1 they can only heal 1 hit die of hp per short rest. And 2nd til 4th can heal 2 hit dice per short rest. Or 1+prof bonus in HD healed.

[Options II]

Or if you might have the feat Durable p.166, maybe the feat adds, healing by burning your HD to be healed per short rest treats a 1 on the HD as treatied as a 2 instead of the 1. And the feat Toughness p.170, can heal up to equal your HD as if it were bumped up by one level equal to your proficiency bonus (i.e. 1d6 HD, becomes 1d8 HD, etc.).

Sent from my SM-S906L using EN World mobile app

Tony Vargas

Legend
. The D&D rules, however, have always treated all h.p. the same, making it just as easy to recover from 40 to 50 h.p. as it is from 0 to 10.
Of course, in 1e, there was that full week of rest required of characters reduced below 0.

..in such systems you go through your vitality points first when taking damage, before starting on your wound points...unless a specific attack or injury goes straight to wounds - nobody said it was simple. :)
Its not all that complicated, but it can be problematic, becoming all about bypassing those vitality points...
If D&D had such a system
I suppose that the switch from hps to death saves at 0 hp, and the heal-from-0 rule, could be taken as such a system...

[/QUOTE] most of these meat-vs.-luck h.p. arguments would go away, [/QUOTE] It was a settled non-issue for decades, ever since the 1e DMG came down squarely on hp increases with level being of the non-physical variety...

Now, 5e again makes it abundantly clear that hps can't easily represent even modestly serious physical injury, with mechanics like short-rest HD, overnight healing and second wind.

Remove ads