• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Longest campaign you've run/played in?

What was your longest campaign?

• Huh? You mean they're supposed to last for more than a day?

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Only a few sessions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-6 months

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • 6 months to a year

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • A couple of years

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • 4+ years

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • It's the campaign that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends...

Votes: 20 13.2%

Ruined

Explorer
Had a Planescape campaign span about 6 years, with occasional breaks for burnout and other pursuits.

Also played in a Warhammer FRP campaign for around 7 or 8 years.

Now I'm just hoping my new campaign can stand the test of time.

Paradoxish

First Post
Geeeez. If I had known so many people ran campaigns lasting 8 years and up I would've put more options. :D

Seriously, though, that's awesome to have one game running for that long.

Kilmore

First Post
I'm a third stringer DM for my group, so my campaign's VERY sporadic, but I've kept it going for about 8 years. Every now and then we play something from the way musty past just for old times.

gunter uxbridge

First Post
I'm in an old FASA Star Trek RPG game that just hit its 10 year mark on February 2. Quite an accomplishment for us although we rarely play anymore. Our game year just rolled to 2385 with no end in sight.

May the starships Repulse and Independence sail the stars for another 10 years!

For D&D, my longest campaign was a little over a year and the group got to the cusp of 8th level. That was playing for four hours twice a month. Fun game that fizzled after we lost a few players. The one after that went quicker, 7 months to 7th level.

Last edited:

Aitch Eye

First Post
I'm in a campaign that's been running since May of 1983, though I've only been in it since '88. Sessions have been fairly irregular for a while now, but close to weekly until around '90, when the DM got married.

A little less than two years of game time have passed (it once took a year and half to cover the events of one night), and we still have one of the original characters in the party, and a couple others around as quasi-NPCs. It helps that the DM divides all a the character's earned XP by their level, so that (under 1E rules) a cleric needs 2,250,000 XP to go from 10th to 11th lvl -- something the cleric in question hasn't managed to do in the 15 years I've been playing.

We should be converting it to 3E within the next few sessions.

Impeesa

Explorer
I've only played in two solid, long-term games - first was a Robotech game that lasted for about 4 years or so. It was declared dead just this November due to the utter lack of commitment and involvement on the part of 4 or 5 players. :rolleyes: Actually, I was later told by the GM that I was basically the *only* player he hadn't been having major problems with (with the possible exception of one other, who was our squad commander for the majority of the game). The final session consisted of myself and one other guy (and not the other decent player I just mentioned) - the other 3 or 4 who had said they could probably make it bailed out of nowhere. Two of them weren't even busy, they went off and toked up, figuring it wasn't worth it to come since nobody else was interested. :rolleyes:

And on a slightly more positive note, the other one is... (ominous drumming and chanting).. The High School Campaign That Wouldn't Die. Est. 1998 or so, by our best estimates, currently I only run once every few months at the very best, but it's never been declared dead and I still have the one most dedicated of the original players here (we'd play more often, but the other two original players are far far out of town - one's coming back to visit during out reading break though, it's game time ;)).

--Impeesa--

SpringPlum

First Post
My first long-term game lastest about a year and a half. We ended on game #50. Our latest is creeping up on the year mark and will probably last another 4 months or so our DM tells us. We have run other games that died slow, agonizing deaths after two or three games.

Terraism

Explorer
I'm the one "more than a day?" vote. I've been playing D&D for six years now, and I've never played (or got the run, much as I've tried) a campaign. I've used the same character more than once, but that's not the same thing.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Terraism said:
I'm the one "more than a day?" vote. I've been playing D&D for six years now, and I've never played (or got the run, much as I've tried) a campaign. I've used the same character more than once, but that's not the same thing.

Wow, that seems so odd to me!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads