• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Longest Campaign

Greenstone

First Post
Just for interest sake, I wondered what some of the longest running campaigns were. Here I mean campaigns that have run more or less unbroken from beginning to end (or are still ongoing).

At the end of 2004 I completed DMing my Overearth homebrew campaign, which ran from 1995-2004. During its 10-year run we played every week (usually Thursday evenings 8 to 12), but took breaks for the months of Dec and Jan.

I split the campaign into ten Books, each lasting a year, and each book had five Chapters that lasted about 2 months. We used my homebrew rules system, basically a combination of 2nd ed AD&D and the Palladium RPG system... the similarities between it and 3rd ed D&D are interesting (i.e. Armour Class [Rating] from 0 to 20, no THACO but BAB tables, etc.). The strongest points of the system IMO were however the use of Stamina scores and Hit Points (like d20 Star Wars), and an awesomely simple but effective critical strike system stolen somewhere off the net many years ago.

Anyway, the campaign managed to survive 10 years of real-life interruptions, including marriages, the births of several children to the players (two of whom named their daughters after their characters), as well as the emigration of two key players, the divorce of two others, etc.

New players joined along the way, and others left, but the core group made it to the bitter end... by which time the PCs had risen from 5th to 15th level (one level per YEAR of play - how's THAT for SLOW progression?!). They ended up ascending into the heavens to replace the 13 evil gods they had battled and defeated over the course of the campaign.

Anyone else got similar tales of long campaigns that have seen their players age from their mid 20's to their mid 30's?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I may be wrong, but our administrator Piratecat has been running his Spira campaign since 1981. One player has even remained through the whole thing, with her Bard PC, until last year. :eek:

The longest I ever ran was a campaign from 1989 to 1994. I ran two groups through the same world, and it finally died when I got married. I resumed the campaign in 1998, it played for another two years with different players, and after that it never survived 3rd edition; people were more interested in the pre-genned worlds than homebrew.

the Jester

Legend
I believe Piratecat's campaign is around 13? 14? years old.

If by a single campaign you mean one set of characters, I can't claim too much; but if you mean many interrelated groups running concurrently and crossing over (for instance, the current group evolved from a group of old pcs from different parties dating back to mid-2e), then I'm at about 610 games since about 1992.

Laundreu

First Post
Playing? Ten games or so. Maybe more, as I'm not good at remembering and cataloguing exactly like that.

Running? Three. ;_;

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I ran a homebrew D&D that lasted from 1991 to 2000, and played in a DC Heroes campaign that had its beginnings in 1987 and ended in 2000. I joined it in 1990.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
My longest ran from 1983 to 2001 - only a couple of players remained involved throughout but the core group remained the same for the last 9-odd years of the 18 year stretch. It was a D&D campaign that went through Basic/Expert, 1e and 2e and finished in true Moorcockian style by undoing Creation As We Know It in preparation for 3e. Many happy memories. I've been working on a follow-up ever since. No rush, I guess, heh heh. I also have a WoD game that is entering its 11th year. I'm not sure what to attribute this longevity to, other than the fact that I am a somewhat long-winder old duffer ;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Right, my game is coming up on 13 years. Silvermoon's is over 20 years, though, with many of the same players. It's a thing of beauty.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My 2e Aquerra "The Oath" campaign ran nearly every week from October of 1996 to early Winter of 2000. There was a nine-month break in there during 1999. By the end there were only 2 original characters, but four of the original players.

My current "Out of the Frying Pan" 3E/3.5 Aquerra campaign will mark its 4th year anniversary in February, though we only meet every other week. We only two of the original players at this point (three if you count Martin's player).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads