• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Longspear in Glove of Storing?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Description of Glove of Storing:
"This device is a simple leather glove. On command, one item held in the hand wearing the glove disappears. The item can weigh no more than 20 pounds and must be able to be held in one hand. "

A longspear can be held in one hand, but cannot be wielded with one hand. Can a longspear be stored in a glove of storing?

If not, what is the reasonable cost of a Greater Glove of Storing (allows storage of two-handed weapons)?

Acmite

First Post
If you can store a 10-foot pole, you can store a Longspear. But, bringing it out of the glove's storage doesn't necessarily mean you are able to instantly use it as a weapon. A DM may require you to use a standard action (or combine it with a move-equivalent) to ready a 2-handed weapon. Of course, if you had quick draw this wouldn't be a problem.

The rules aren't explicit concerning whether or not a weapon is readied once removed (much like the ambiguity regarding Heward's Handy Haversack), but they are explicit in what can be stored in a Glove of Storing. You've quoted the pertinent info above.

Happy Longspear Storing, Z.

Acmite

Rashak Mani

First Post
As a DM I would allow it... my DM ruled that it wasnt the case... 2 handed weapons cant be stored. I think he is wrong :D

As for the ready or not ready... if you have all your hands free I dont think its necessary make move equiv to ready weapon... you´ve probably praticed retreiving and using longspear before.

FoxWander

Adventurer
Of course you could store it in the glove. It fulfills the description ergo, it works.

BTW, I have a pixie character with a glove of storing and I love it. I have a very carefully weighed backpack stored in there filled with goodies. The pack weighs more than my character but I can hold it on one hand and its less than 20 lbs so... *snap*-gone.

Altalazar

First Post
That's a very clever use for a glove of storing.

Minor Spoiler below for anyone in my campaign. This means you, Jeff. ;)

My most interesting glove of storing story is with a wolf that is following around the players - one player in particular. It bites his ankle a lot, but they feed it and it otherwise doesn't bother them too much.

They found a magic fountain that had some minor, random effect (once) when you drank from it. Some bad, some good. It was in a basin at a shrine (statue) dedicated to a god of Luck. Most of the players got minor bad results. The wolf drank from it and got a random magic item - a glove of storing, which ended up on one of its paws. The group didn't notice at first, but later they did notice the wolf with a glove on one paw that wasn't there before and they have no idea what it is or how it got there. Either way, no one has tried to get it away from the wolf, who growls at them if they try. (Not that they tried really hard). It will be quite entertaining the first time the wolf ends up storing something in the glove, probably inadvertantly. (Ok, perhaps this wolf isn't just a wolf, but then again, maybe it is).

Antikinesis

First Post
FoxWander said:
Of course you could store it in the glove. It fulfills the description ergo, it works.

BTW, I have a pixie character with a glove of storing and I love it. I have a very carefully weighed backpack stored in there filled with goodies. The pack weighs more than my character but I can hold it on one hand and its less than 20 lbs so... *snap*-gone.

*snap* - and the backpack is gone... and everything that used to be in the backpack tumbles to the floor in a jumbled pile.

The description is pretty explicit about the glove of storing being able to store a single item. I'll grant that a spear is made of multiple components (shaft, head), but I'd still call that a single item. A backpack closed with a leather tie... nope, the contents aren't part of the single stored item. (IMHO, of course.)

It may work if you stored a container with "extra-dimensional" space, like a bag of holding... your extra items aren't being stored by the glove in that case. However, nesting magical containers is risky.

---AK

Altalazar

First Post
I think you are being overly stingy.

With the item spell in the past, you could store, say, a quiver of arrows or a flask of oil, both of which are containers that contain other 'items', in this case a bunch of arrows and oil.

Maybe you'd want to put some sort of limits on it, but the limits you suggest are too much, IMHO.

Skaros

First Post
The major downside to storing a weapon in the glove is that it requires a standard action to retrieve the weapon.

In combat this is a lot worse than a simple move equivalent to draw a weapon (or free action with quick draw).

Unless stated otherwise, activating a magic item is a standard action.

-Skaros

Orco42

First Post
Skaros said:
The major downside to storing a weapon in the glove is that it requires a standard action to retrieve the weapon.

I think it (and the spiffy haversack) has been errata'd to a free action.

Last edited:

Remove ads