• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Look for holes, please!

tburdett

Explorer
The is a brief summary of my current campaign plot. Please help me find problems or inconsistencies in my story line. Thanks.

Note: I'm using some of the ideas presented in the Liber Bestarus, horribly twisted almost beyond recognition, to fit into my campaign.

Here we go.

The party has learned that the Lord of Dreams has been exiled from the Plane of Dreams. At the time that he was exiled, he was working on a 'machine'. They have learned that the 'machine' is an incredibly powerful and dangerous artifact, and that it could be used as a weapon in the wrong hands. The party has not been able to learn how, or why, the Lord of Dreams was exiled, or what the 'machine' is supposed to do.

The party has also learned that Lord Tarravok, a lich-like blackguard and supposed agent of the Lord of Dreams, leads a group of blackguards (the Company of Autumn) who are tirelessly searching for parts to complete the 'machine'. The party does not know that Lord Tarravok is now working for Melif the Lich-lord.

The Lord of Dreams was betrayed by Lord Tarravok when he learned what the 'machine' was designed to do. The sole purpose of the 'machine' is to puncture a hole in the planar boundry that exists between the Plane of Dreams and the Plane of Nightmares. This would cause both planes to merge, increasing the size and scope of the Lord of Dreams power. This would also result in a massive surge of psychic feedback, resulting in the death of all creatures who happened to be sleeping when the machine was activated. This might also result in the complete and total destruction of both planes. Either way, Lord Tarravok would not receive what he had been promised, the Plane of Nightmares as his own realm in return for working to complete the 'machine'. When he realized that he was being used and duped, he turned against his master.

Lord Tarravok carefully and cautiously approached Melif the Lich-Lord. He had previously dealt with Melif while seeking his own lichdom and knew that Melif would hold to a bargain if it served him to do so. Lord Tarravok offered to reveal the location and workings of the 'machine' in return for what he had already been promised by the Lord of Dreams. Melif, ever scheming and lusting for power, agreed to aid Lord Tarravok. Melif would gain control of the 'machine' and the Plane of Dreams, and would aid Lord Tarravok in wresting control of the Plane of Nightmares.

Melif knew, from previous dealings, that the Lord of Dreams was dangerously insane. He would not simply breach one planar barrier and then stop. If successful, the Lord of Dreams would breach planar barrier after planar barrier in his quest for limitless power. Melif, a long-time enemy of the Lord of Dreams, knew that his plane, Gehenna, would be one of the first to fall if the 'machine' was successful. He also realized the vast potential of the 'machine' as a weapon, a weapon he could use against his enemies.

The conspirators knew that they were no match for the Lord of Dreams on his home plane, the Plane of Dreams, and conspired with the Yugoloth generals, the Ultroloths, to draw him forth into Gehenna where he would be a much less powerful opponent. Melif offered to abandon his holdings on Gehenna in return for their aid.

Once there he was overwhelmed and imprisoned. Ever paranoid, the Lord of Dreams had made plans for such an occurance. He set those plans into motion once he realized that the battle would go against him. Many of his agents heard and obeyed his call. They conspired to damage the warding magic as it was put into place by Melif and Lord Tarravok, leaving the Lord of Dreams trapped in an imperfect prison.

The Lord of Dreams is still able to direct his minions, he is still aware of his surroundings and he is still able to exert his will on those who venture, and subsequently sleep, to closely to where he is being held.

The party has ventured into the ancient Yugoloth structure where the Lord of Dreams is imprisoned.

Last edited:

wighair

Explorer
I can't really help you here, I know nothing of such high powered games and planar things, BUT, I will say that this sounds excellent.

What are you expecting the PCs to do? aid the LoD or hinder him?

What level game is this?

Is this LoD canon (manual of the planes? - i don't have it), or have you made him up?

tburdett

Explorer
Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply, but this dropped off of the page fast and I forgot about it. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

As the party is composed of all flavors of good (neutral, lawful, and chaotic), they are opposing him and his agents. They have found one of the main pieces that the LoD has been searching for and are holding it to prevent him from completing his 'machine'.

The PC, a chaotic good sorcerer, holding the 'item' has not yet realized the peril that he is in. The item in question holds a portion of Obad Hai's divine life essence and is slowly subverting him to the path of neutrality. The item has already convinced him to get rid of other items that it does not approve of (metal sword, an animated large metal shield, etc). The 'item' keeps telling the PC that these items interfere with its' magic and that if he wants to tap the vast power that it contains he must comply. Lust for power gets them every time.

The game currently has 15th - 16th level characters. Each player has a primary character (at 16th level) and a secondary character (at 15th level).

The Lord of Dreams is something that is in Liber Bestarus (sp?). That product also contains Lord Tarravok and the Company of Autumn. Reading through the book inspired a lot of the ideas for the current story arc.

While the Manual of the Planes does contain infomation about a Dream plane, I have not used much of it yet. The party knows that the LoD is not there, and that his 'machine' is not there either, and has not spent any time investigating that lead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads