Look What ED GREENWOOOD Is Doing! Forgotten Realms: The Unofficial, Non-Canon, Unlicensed, Utterly U

There's no news of an official Forgotten Realms book for D&D (at least not yet), but Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood is forging ahead with his own! Greenwood is writing Forgotten Realms: The Unofficial, Non-Canon, Unlicensed, Utterly Unapproved 50-Year History under the auspices of The Ed Greenwood Group and plans to release it at Gen Con in August this year, and once a week there will be updates on the web where he'll "peek behind the curtain and let you know something else about the untold history of the Realms, things you’ve never known".

There's no news of an official Forgotten Realms book for D&D (at least not yet), but Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood is forging ahead with his own! Greenwood is writing Forgotten Realms: The Unofficial, Non-Canon, Unlicensed, Utterly Unapproved 50-Year History under the auspices of The Ed Greenwood Group and plans to release it at Gen Con in August this year, and once a week there will be updates on the web where he'll "peek behind the curtain and let you know something else about the untold history of the Realms, things you’ve never known".
Here's the full announcement:

"Welcome to the unofficial history of the Forgotten Realms.® Have you ever wondered why I, the guy who created the Realms in the first place, decided to share it with the wider world? Do you want to hear behind-the-scenes stories, some of those that can now be told, about why things are the way they are? Why, for instance, that from the beginning the Forgotten Realms® maps didn’t have hexes all over them, so the rivers didn’t run in little diagonal lines along the edges of hexes, but rather the maps looked like maps of real places, rather than game maps? Ever wondered about things like that?

Well, for the answers to those questions and many others, just keep visiting our site throughout the year because once a week we’ll peek behind the curtain and let you know something else about the untold history of the Realms, things you’ve never known. Things you may not even have thought to ask about, things that are deep dark secrets of the Realms.

See you every week, throughout the year!

The Ed Greenwood Group
will launch its first projects in August at GenCon 2015 in Indianapolis—Forgotten Realms: The Unofficial, Non-Canon, Unlicensed, Utterly Unapproved 50-Year History by Ed Greenwood, curated by Brian Cortijo and All is Lust: Letters With a Hooded Lady by Ed Greenwood and The Hooded One.

Join us at RealmsSecretariat.com each week as Ed Greenwood continues the tale of how the Forgotten Realms went from a short story to becoming one of the world’s most beloved shared settings. All stories are totally unofficial—100% unapproved—not authorized, sanctioned, censored, or redacted in any way. Herewith we present the unvarnished Ed Greenwood and his take on the past fifty years."

[video=youtube;XFdU3fUeBSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XFdU3fUeBSI[/video]

Agamon

Adventurer
If you don't find Ed's contribution important, than you're free to ignore it. Just as he's free to tell people about it. There are plenty of biographies and historical books on store shelves that I have no interest in, but I don't have a problem with people writing them.

I see. For you it is sort of a Gygax vs. Ed thing. It might be why you insist the Realms aren't 50 years old, cause that would mean they are older than D&D.

Anyway, I'll leave you alone trying to defend Gygax from Ed. This debate is pointless.
that is exactly what it is... and since what you said made realms and ed stand out is exactly what gary and greyhawk did I seem to be correct...

Mirtek

Hero
Well, propably nice for those interested, but not for me. I've heard a lot about Ed's home realms over the years and almost none of my favorite parts of the FR are in it. Ed may have build the shell of the house, but others furnished the nicest rooms.

So I'll keep waiting until WotC sees reason and publishes an official FR guide

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If you don't find Ed's contribution important, than you're free to ignore it. Just as he's free to tell people about it. There are plenty of biographies and historical books on store shelves that I have no interest in, but I don't have a problem with people writing them.

It reminds me a bit of the argument against bloat. It is like some people have to buy every D&D books and ignoring some stuff is out of question. Seems to boarderline OCD.

Reynard

Legend
if he called it an auto biography I would have no problem, if he called it 30 years with the realms I would have no problem...

But he is calling it just what it is. Your "issue" with it seems to be only that it is Ed Greenwood. and that he created the Realms before he sold it.

As an aside, if you do have a number of novels you are sitting on, stop sitting on them. Many people have had great success with digital self publishing, including a good friend of mine. Blow past the gatekeepers and get those things out there, man.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
GMforPowergamers, I love how you bash him for self promoting and then spend half of your post promoting yourself. I guess hypocrisy knows no bounds.

But he is calling it just what it is. Your "issue" with it seems to be only that it is Ed Greenwood. and that he created the Realms before he sold it.

As an aside, if you do have a number of novels you are sitting on, stop sitting on them. Many people have had great success with digital self publishing, including a good friend of mine. Blow past the gatekeepers and get those things out there, man.
I am currently working very hard at getting my books published, but thank you.

GMforPowergamers, I love how you bash him for self promoting and then spend half of your post promoting yourself. I guess hypocrisy knows no bounds.
I was explaining, not self promoteing at all, in fact I went out of my way to say I would NOT do the same self promoting Ed does...

Wolfskin

Explorer
It just occurred to me that the release of Ed's project at GenCon may coincide with a new Forgotten Realms campaign setting for 5e. Think about it: he's building the hype going over the history of the setting, and there's certainly information on the Candlekeep forum about updated material (such as the fate of Halruaa)

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I am just so glade I wont be able to make Gen Con this year... I am in general disgusted by this blatant cash grab based on a universe that he didn't even fully create the modern version of... I bet the fans would go nuts if WotC C&D him, and I doubt they would... but man would that give me a good laugh.

I will buy your copy!

And looks like that officially - sorry I mean unofficially answers the "how old is the Forgotten Realms" question.

And looks like that officially - sorry I mean unofficially answers the "how old is the Forgotten Realms" question.
no it most certainly doesn't Ed can CLAIM it is as old as he wants, heck he could LIE and call it the 200th Anniversary, that doesn't change the facts from the last thread where it is much closer to 30 years old then 50...

If tomorrow the writer of twilight claimed she actually wrote the first draft in 1849 (back when Ras al ghul ran into that magician) and as such this year marks the 166th anniversary of twilight and that they where planning a big celebration and new book for the 170th in 4 years I would call BS as well... no sorry I would call way more BS, but I got caught up in the moment...

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads