• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Looking back at the Monstrous Compendia: the MC appendices, Monstrous Manual, and more!

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Absolutely. Just musings. And wouldn't it have been nice to have all such monsters in MC3 and the dinosaurs pulled out for an MC4 Lost World Appendix? Sabre-tooths, Tarzan, great apes, axebeaks, Pellucidar? What's not to like? But perhaps too late for that (sabre-tooths in MC1) and too much hassle for TSR at the time - and then there was the planned release of the BD&D Hollow World a year later, of course. Still, not quite the same imho.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
(...)
Like, does anyone remember the igundi? It's basically a lizardman who wraps themselves in an illusion of the person you most desire, and uses that to lure you in and eat you, which is rather lame; at least the succubus actually put out.
(...)

Actually..., re ingundi and succubi:

ingundi.jpg

Dunno where I read this, but the renaming seems to have been for reasons of Mrs. Pulling.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Actually..., re ingundi and succubi:

View attachment 291309

Dunno where I read this, but the renaming seems to have been for reasons of Mrs. Pulling.
Awesome find! Though I suspect that the use of "incubus" there is a typo more than anything else, since both start with the same letter and use similar hunting techniques (though the igundi's is still all tease and no payoff, since it lures the victim somewhere isolated and then kills and eats them).

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Awesome find! Though I suspect that the use of "incubus" there is a typo more than anything else, since both start with the same letter and use similar hunting techniques (though the igundi's is still all tease and no payoff, since it lures the victim somewhere isolated and then kills and eats them).
I'm pretty sure that the renaming is the case. I've got a note in my own write-up of the ingundi, part of which reads:

Historical Note: The Case of the Lost Devils
The ingundi used to be called incubus before Patricia Pulling and BADD (...). Fortunately, the staff at TSR proved a tad sloppy in replacing the word incubus with ingundi, so that sages of today still know what the creature should be called.

Like I said, I don't know where I read this, but I'm pretty sure I did read it somewhere. Perhaps some Dragon magazine?

Edited for clean-up.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm pretty sure that the renaming is the case. I've got a note in my own write-up of the ingundi, part of which reads:

Historical Note: The Case of the Lost Devils
The ingundi used to be called incubus before Patricia Pulling and BADD (...). Fortunately, the staff at TSR proved a tad sloppy in replacing the word incubus with ingundi, so that sages of today still know what the creature should be called.

Like I said, I don't know where I read this, but I'm pretty sure I did read it somewhere. Perhaps some Dragon magazine?

Edited for clean-up.
I've never heard of that before, and can't find anything to back it up, but if that's the case it's a fascinating bit of lore. As I recall, James M. Ward was the driving force behind the Greyhawk Adventures book (though I'm not sure if he wrote that particular monster entry). I think he's active on Facebook; I don't have an account there, but maybe someone else in this thread does and feels like asking him...?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
I've never heard of that before, and can't find anything to back it up, but if that's the case it's a fascinating bit of lore. As I recall, James M. Ward was the driving force behind the Greyhawk Adventures book (though I'm not sure if he wrote that particular monster entry). I think he's active on Facebook; I don't have an account there, but maybe someone else in this thread does and feels like asking him...?
That'd be fascinating! Me no FB neither.

Remove ads