• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Looking for a 4E (essentials) meat grinder!

I would like to GM an online, Essentials only (as those are the only books I have) dungeon crawl that is terrifyingly difficult and deadly. I would love something that captured the old school (1E) feel of traps and puzzles, getting sometimes confronted with monsters over the PC's heads and paranoid players tapping dungeon floors walls and ceilings with their 10' poles. :) Where resting is a tricky proposition and thus the party is not always at full strength. In essence a dungeon that is a crucible where only careful, cooperative, smart and creative characters exit alive.

At the same time I am looking for the extreme challenge to be balanced with extreme reward. Lots of cool magical items and resources for the party to use should be scattered about the dungeon. Especially since this would not be an actual campaign, and there would be no Joe's bait and magic sword shoppe where wealth could be easily converted into magical gear.

There doesn't have to be a ton of story to it, nor colorful NPCs. I would be running this strictly as a short crawl (maybe 8-12 hours of play) for a group of college age 4E gamers who look at me funny when I tell them about the Dungeon delves of olden days (I started playing with OD&D). I would prefer Heroic tier, but paragon or epic is fine.

The bad part is that I have zero time to create such a thing, so I am hoping someone here has some good ideas on canned adventures that would fit the bill. I'd be looking for an adventure in PDF since I will be running it online and would like to be able to pull up maps.

I know about the tomb of horrors but my son has that book so I can't use it. Besides it looks like it has been turned into more of a campaign.

Anyone know of such an adventure?

Thanks!

There was also a straightforward 4e conversion of the original Tomb of Horrors that was distributed to members of the RPGA DM Rewards program. It is for 9th level PCs. We made it almost to the end in maybe 8 hours of gameplay (split over several sessions), and it was a lot of fun. Still very old-school feeling although significantly less lethal than the original version. You might be able to find a copy on eBay or somewhere similar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads