• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Looking for a campaign idea

Odysseus

Explorer
I'm looking for an idea or inspiration for a campaign.
One of my players mentioned wanting to have some sort of theme for the party. Previously i've done this with an all L/G party, all Dwarf , all murder hobos, having the party be part of the police force.
I don't really want to have an all the same class restriction..
So any ideas EN World ?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This is a very broad question. Do you have an idea for what tone you want (grim vs heroic vs light vs dark)? Do you have a setting in mind, or a milieu (medieval vs steampunk vs magitech)?

Odysseus

Explorer
This is a very broad question. Do you have an idea for what tone you want (grim vs heroic vs light vs dark)? Do you have a setting in mind, or a milieu (medieval vs steampunk vs magitech)?
No , apart from it being DnD. I was thinking of something a little more modern than medieval( zeitgeist setting maybe) but i'm open to ideas, at this stage.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Mercenary company who are hired by local lords/barons/whoever to do their dirty work or fight in their border wars. They could come up with a Company Name, Badge, and basically travel around looking for work. (I realize this is ultimately what adventuring parties do, but this would be at a slightly broader scope, and there is no reason that the jobs on offer might conflict with the party's morals, or that the jobs might be above their ability - that all is on the company).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
One fun one I've done:

The PCs were all employees or close affiliates of Morgrave University and did various expeditions to explore/map/catalogue (err. loot) the various ruins etc. around Eberron.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Here are some I've done in the past:
  • A group of low birthrank nobles seeking to make their fortunes and bring glory to their houses by adventuring (see my incomplete story hour)
  • A band from a small town being encroached upon by undead lands, seeking a new safer location to move the whole community
  • A band of exiles from different peoples who met up on a journey to a new land none of them are familiar with
  • A group of would-be adventures fleeing conscription in a war they don't agree with (see my complete story hour)
  • A group of strangers who wake up in the bottom of a dungeon that is a test by an evil archmage looking for a group of strong young adventurers with potential he could manipulate for his plans
  • A spelljammer crew that crash lands on a planet without spelljamming access - so the whole campaign was finding a way off world.

Odysseus

Explorer
Here are some I've done in the past:
  • A group of low birthrank nobles seeking to make their fortunes and bring glory to their houses by adventuring (see my incomplete story hour)
  • A band from a small town being encroached upon by undead lands, seeking a new safer location to move the whole community
  • A band of exiles from different peoples who met up on a journey to a new land none of them are familiar with
  • A group of would-be adventures fleeing conscription in a war they don't agree with (see my complete story hour)
  • A group of strangers who wake up in the bottom of a dungeon that is a test by an evil archmage looking for a group of strong young adventurers with potential he could manipulate for his plans
  • A spelljammer crew that crash lands on a planet without spelljamming access - so the whole campaign was finding a way off world.
I like the sound of fleeing conscription

Remove ads