• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Looking for a campaign idea

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
A spelljammer crew that crash lands on a planet without spelljamming access - so the whole campaign was finding a way off world.
My campaign is a variant of this, the players were on different spelljammers that got sucked into a wormhole and ended up on a planet/plane disconnected from the rest of the multiverse and must now forge new lives for themselves in this strange proto-world.

Irlo

Hero
I've been wanting to do this for years, but no one takes me up on it: a literal band of adventurers, travelling from town to town, solving mysteries and clearing out local dungeons and racing back just in time to perform at the big concert.

A new thematic setting for a campaign might be an idea. Tell them they all have to have a job at a travelling circus, and then the adventure revolves around the towns you visit. Performances at dusk, and adventuring at midnight.

Or you could follow the whole astral craze and place them inside a ship of your liking. Let there be raiders, and maybe a Pirates of Darkwater but space theme.

Just throwing those out there.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm looking for an idea or inspiration for a campaign.
One of my players mentioned wanting to have some sort of theme for the party. Previously i've done this with an all L/G party, all Dwarf , all murder hobos, having the party be part of the police force. ...
Lawful Good ... murder hobos?

If you're looking to run a 20 level campaign with a continuous storyline, I suggest stealing from a tv series that ran for 5 or more years. My most common theft is Babylon 5. All you need to do is steal, tweak to a fantasy setting, and then build around that skeleton.

Here is an example of how I'd take some of the basic elements of Babylon 5, tweak them and run it as a 20 level campaign. If you don't know Babylon 5 - It is worth a watch, even though the effects are dated. If you don't plan to watch, you can ready a summary if you're curious how the below would relate to it.

1.) Tell the players that their PCs are going to be members of diplomatic teams sent to an isolated island in the middle of an ocean. Several different nations surround the island on different continents, and they use the island as a sort of United Nations / Neutral Territory to resolve conflicts. PCs will not be the main diplomats, but members of their troupes as the key negotiators from each troupe work on a lengthy peace treaty following a period of war.

2.) Once on the island, something seemingly minor, but annoying, will go wrong and the PCs will be asked to work together to figure out what took place. Perhaps someone without a title turns up dead, or something is stolen. As the PCs investigate, they realize there is a larger conspiracy at work. Ibestigating that larger conspiracy will take them on adventures through level 5.

3.) During those early adventures they will discover hints that the last great war may have been the product of misinformation and deviousness meant to plunge the world into war. Perhaps the group behind it was a group attempting to profit from the war. Perhaps it was devils. Perhaps the meddlers were from the Far Realm. Perhaps it was a clergy for a Mad God. You decide - but the PCs will spend levels 6 to 10 dealing with this threat. However, as they adventure and resolve this threat, they'll discover this 'force behind the war' is an agent of an even more sinister force - a patsy meant to be discovered and blamed while the true threat shapes the world and stays hidden. This threat will definitely be from outside the realms of mankind, and the PCs will need to travel the planes to hunt it down. The PCs might find they have allies in the battle against this secret foe - but are the allies actually any better than these foes?

4.) Levels 11 to 16 are spent tracking down the threat, collecting the tools to fight it, and getting ready for the Great War that it will take to stop these meddlers for good. As they do so, perhaps those allies begin to cause as much trouble as the foe.

5.) Levels 17 to 20 will be a railroad that draws the PCs to a final battle with the enemy. You should give the PCs options on how to resolve it. You might do it with violence - with diplomacy - with trickery or through negotiation. Heck, you might even educate the enemy out of their position. However, resolve this threat ends the campaign.

Throughout these adventures you can have 'B storyline' adventures that have loose ties to the main storyline. You can also have truly stand alone stories that get resolved in a session or two, but take advantage of the scenario the PCs are experiencing.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
One of my players mentioned wanting to have some sort of theme for the party. Previously i've done this with an all L/G party, all Dwarf , all murder hobos, having the party be part of the police force.
I don't really want to have an all the same class restriction..
So any ideas EN World ?
Take a poll of your players’ favorite TV shows. Take the themes from those shows. Rework them to suit a D&D game. Then ask the players to vote. The top one or two are the theme you go with.

Quickleaf

Legend
One of my players mentioned wanting to have some sort of theme for the party. Previously i've done this with an all L/G party, all Dwarf , all murder hobos, having the party be part of the police force.
I don't really want to have an all the same class restriction..
So any ideas EN World ?
All part of the same family. Begin at the reading of family member's will.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads