• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a city setting

Thorntangle

First Post
I'm looking for a good magical-medieval city setting without having to build it from scratch. I've read a few reviews for Freeport, Bluffside, and Geanavue and they look promising.

Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions, commercial or otherwise, for a fully fleshed-out city?

Freeport and bluffside are both cool settings. Although freeport has a much darker grittier feal. I'm guessing Bluffside would be more what your looking for.

Crothian

First Post
Bluffside is amazing!! It's got so much depth of character and so many different feelings within one citty. After I read the book I figured ouyt how to add it to my campaign world and edited some of the history to make it fit perfectly. It has a good bunch of characters and small plot devices in it.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I have Bluffside.

PRO: It's good.
CON: It is not generic. Being on the edge of a huge waterfall and having a adamantine mine are two huge factors for it that you can't exactly ignore.

Azure Trance

First Post
RPGPlayingTips has many articles on how to make your city more personable, livable, and realistic to your players. Other then that, are there specific criteria for this city? Freeport is quite different then Bluffside setting wise.

Thorntangle

First Post
Azure Trance said:
RPGPlayingTips has many articles on how to make your city more personable, livable, and realistic to your players. Other then that, are there specific criteria for this city? Freeport is quite different then Bluffside setting wise.
One dominant, powerful church already built in would be nice.

The reviews give me a few vibes:
Freeport - Pros - Grim and gritty, a lack of gimmicks, and adaptability. On the con side - the whole pirate thing. Pirates, wharves, tricorn hats and the sea just don't do it for me. Call me a landlubber. But, I can see how that aspect could be toned down.

Bluffside - Pros - Interesting premise if a bit gimmicky. Cons - decreased adaptability.

Geanavue - Pros - looks like it packs a lot of verisimilitude, but I don't like the idea of stone giants in the city, but I could end up liking it if someone could sell me on the concept. Cons - reviews led me to believe that it's not as fully fleshed out as the other two cities.

Thorntangle

First Post
Thanks, I didn't know about Streets of Silver. Some reviewers remarked that it was similar to Freeport in overall tone.

Are there any free (no cost) cities out there in fandom?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Bluffside makes for a wonderful home base and can be dropped into any campaign. It is full of NPCs and plot hooks. I also feel it is the best DM friendly city.

Freeport is a good but it is a place you go to for adventures. Lot of darkness to it. While it is a fantastic product that darkness and grit create an air that is hard to maintain. It is wonderful in the Midnight setting.

Streets of Silver is very complete and very detailed and is pacted with information.

Geanavue for the Kingdon of Kalamar is a lawful good city and while a very good city, work is need to place it into another campaign.

Scarred Land has a few out but I don't have any details.

Mor's End is one created by EN World board members.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads