• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a deep space rpg

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Matrix Sorcica said:
Hobo wrote that there is GURPS Traveller and a GURPS Space setting. So I'm asking about that.

There is a GURPS Traveller setting and a GURPS Space product -- though earlier editions of GURPS Space and supplements such as Aliens formed an implied setting of sorts (a setting that is not the Traveller setting).

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Probably not what you are looking for, but if you are into a crew of people trying to find their way home like in Lost in Space or Voyager, then you might like Spaceship Zero.

Psion

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
There is a GURPS Traveller setting and a GURPS Space product -- though earlier editions of GURPS Space and supplements such as Aliens formed an implied setting of sorts (a setting that is not the Traveller setting).

There were also 4 GURPS space atlas books for 3e, which did a bit better than imply a setting. That said, they did provide different spins, depending on what sort of space nation you picked out in GURPS Space.

Angellis_ater

First Post
I'd have to chime in for ALTERNITY - although OOP, it can still be found at Amazon's associate sellers for as low as 7 dollars for the PHB. And for anyone with a little D20 savvy, it's a pretty cool system.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Psion said:
There were also 4 GURPS space atlas books for 3e, which did a bit better than imply a setting. That said, they did provide different spins, depending on what sort of space nation you picked out in GURPS Space.

I'd forgotten about those (admittedly, space adventure was the one thing I never used GURSP for).

spidey64

First Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Did a bit of research and right now Dawning Star and Lightspeed are most appealing to me.

Dawning Star's universe just seems really cool, though much less of a space opera type of feel. I actually prefer that type of sci-fi. A little more grounded in real world physics I guess. Though I guess I suggested a space opera game not knowing what the hell it really constituted lol.

Lightspeed's mish mash of different universes into one galaxy is pretty enticing too. How is the fuzion system? I have been playing D&D for going on 17 years now (started in junior high around '91 or '92) and unfourtunaltey I have not really tried any other systems besides that and a little WoD every once in a while.

On a side note: At first I wanted to try to do some conversion of Mass Effect but I got a gut feeling that Bioware will work some deal to get a pnp version out soon, the devs have stated that they wrote literally thousands of pages of backstory for that setting that they have not even touched yet.

Besides I think I just wanted something different.

Doh! dont know how I could forget. I used to love playing the old Palladium TMNT and Robotech games...sometimes intermixed. Nothing like my mutant Armadillo piloting a Cyclone :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
spidey64 said:
How is the fuzion system?

People either seem to love it or hate it; it's one of those rare systems that seems to have very little middle ground in terms of unbiased fanbase. I hate it. That said, the Instant Fuzion version of Lightspeed (which is free) is a whole lot of fun and very rules light -- two things that I've never found any full-version Fuzion game to be.

If you're new to Fuzion, grab the Instant Lightspeed stuff first and play with that. If you like that and wouldn't mind having much more complex combat and more character options bolted on, the full version of Lightspeed may well float your boat. If Instant Lightspeed seems about right, I recommend that you skip the full version.

Psion said:
Those are the ones specifically I was thinking of, but I don't remember the specific titles anymore.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Hobo said:
Those are the ones specifically I was thinking of, but I don't remember the specific titles anymore.

Um, Space Atlas 1, Space Atlas 2, Space Atlas 3 and Space Atlas 4? :) None of the wowed me, but I might go back to rip out ideas if I were running a space game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads