• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a different core system

Korgan26

First Post
I am looking for a system that is earth based. placed like during the 11th or 12 century it does not need to be fantastic, and it also doesn't need to be d20 anyone who can point me in the general direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Z

maddman75

First Post
What are you looking for exactly? If you want a detailed system maybe GURPS would be your thing. It's a universal system, with a sourcebook for just about every setting you could imagine.

If you want something more cinematic, you can't go wrong with Unisystem Lite, as used in the Buffy game. Not exactly 12th century, but it would be rather simple to convert. Just get rid of the computer skill, maybe rename a couple of the others. Create some qualities (sort of like feats, they help define what a character is) to reflect what you want the PCs to be like, and you're good to go.

Mercule

Adventurer
Try Dark Ages Mage from White Wolf. There are other Dark Ages games in the series, but Mage would probably be the easiest to de-mystify.

FWIW, I've only thumbed through the book. I don't know if it's entirely self contained or not. You may want to double check before buying.

Ars Magica is a complete game set in that time period. I've never played it, but I've always heard extremely good things about it. Best of all, the core rules are FREE: http://www.atlas-games.com/arsmagica/index.html

A system, or a setting? Or a game? GURPS may be what you're looking for, from the sound of it. You can pick all kinds of historical books up for it to taste.

Korgan26

First Post
I thought about GURPS but i am looking for something prefab, its part of another adventure so i don't want to spent more time on it than the actual adventure. I looked at Ars Magica looks very plausible. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Z

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ah, yes. The Harn Setting and the Harnmaster Rules system. VERY low-magic, VERY grim and gritty - and very likely to kill off PC's who engage in combat.

Korgan26 said:
I thought about GURPS but i am looking for something prefab, its part of another adventure so i don't want to spent more time on it than the actual adventure. I looked at Ars Magica looks very plausible. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Z
What do you mean exactly? You want a system that comes with pre-written adventures? To my knowledge, there really isn't one...

Wombat

First Post
Ars Magica, hands down.

Setting is nominally 1220 AD Europe, but it is easy to set it back by 50 or so years with only minor alterations.

Has material on monsters that were assumed to roam Europe at the time.

While the focus is on the magi, it is possible to run a grand game by dropping them entirely (although I tend to like them).

There are supplements out on various specific areas of Europe, on nobles & knights, on "hedge wizards", and the like.

Massive levels of character customization.

AND

(ta da!)

You can get the base rules for FREE (repeat) FREE at RPGNow!

Can't ask for better than that! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads