• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Diplomatic solution

TheEvil

Explorer
Does anyone know of a Human Sorcerer character option that would grant Diplomacy as a class skill? All WOTC books and dragon magazine available, 3rd party books with GM approval. I have looked through the WOTC books I own (most of them) and have not found any.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The only way I can think of to do it is via Multiclassing.

Racial Paragon Classes :: d20srd.org

Human Paragon

Abilities
Skilled and quick to adapt, human paragons benefit from a high Intelligence. But they are also often at the forefront of humanity's wars, making Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution important for their respective roles in combat.

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The human paragon can choose any ten skills as class skills. (Knowledge skills must be selected individually.)

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int modifier. (Does not include the human's bonus skill point at each level.)

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the human paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Human paragons are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor. In addition, a human paragon is proficient with any one martial weapon of his choice.

Spells per Day
At 2nd and 3rd level, a human paragon gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus metamagic or item creation feats, bard or assassin abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of human paragon to the level in the spellcasting class, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one spellcasting class before he became a human paragon, he must decide to which class he adds each level of human paragon. If a human paragon has no levels in a spellcasting class, this class feature has no effect.

Adaptive Learning (Ex)
At 1st level, a human paragon can designate any one of his human paragon class skills as an adaptive skill. This skill is treated as a class skill in all respects for all classes that character has levels in, both current and future. For example, if a human paragon chooses Spot as an adaptive skill, he treats Spot as a class skill for all future class levels he gains, even if it is not normally a class skill for the class in question.

Bonus Feat (Ex)
At 2nd level, a human paragon gains a bonus feat. Due to the varied talents and adaptable nature of humans, this feat can be any feat for which the human paragon is qualified (he is not restricted to a special list of bonus feats). The character must meet the prerequisites for the bonus feat normally.

Ability Boost (Ex)
At 3rd level, a human paragon increases one ability score of his choice by 2 points.

The keys are the "choose any 10 skills as class skills" and the Adaptive learning class feature. Take at least 1 level in this class, choose Diplomacy as one of your class skills, and from that point on, you'll have it as a class skill from that point on.

cjosephs1s

First Post
I found several feats in 3rd party books that let you take Diplomacy as a class skill. Most are from the 7th sea game setting. Let me know if you want them posted.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Of Course if the level of Diplomacy you are looking for isn't that important and you have a feat available you could take the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny. It allows you to buy cross class feat at standard 1 rank per skill point spent. HOWEVER, it does not allow you to go over the maximum rank for a cross class skill.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Dungeon Master's Guide II p.175 has a pair of feats, "Apprentice" and "Mentor". The Apprentice can be converted over into the Mentor Feat at level 5.

The Apprentice feat allows you, among other things, add 2 skills as class skills permanently. The 2 skills depend on what kind of person is your mentor.

An "Entertainer" Mentor can grant you Diplomacy and Perform as permanent Class skills.

The Feat is complicated, but can be really fun and flavorful, and after turning into the Mentor feat, can grant you a mini-cohort eventually.

TheEvil

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping there was a way to swap trained skills that I had missed somewhere, but alas that does not seem to be the case. Mini-rant: I don't know why the only social skill sorcerers get is Bluff, I guess being a natural a magic only makes you a good liar...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Y'know, I was just looking at the Human paragon a little closer...it's not a bad deal for some spellcasters: in exchange for 1 level of spells, you get access to more skills (including one that is forevermore a class skill), armor proficiency, a weapon proficiency, more HP, a bonus feat, and a 2-point stat boost.

Last edited:

Remove ads